Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2019, 14:55   #991

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
the big unknown at the moment is a low potentially developing around dec 4th.

Attachment 203970

the exact location and timing are uncertain at the moment, and it is possible if they really keep the hammer down they will get in before.
yes agreed ,, boat speed now , even if not before , seems to be of the essence , and it appears ( by todays readings ) that that is what they are trying for,,
i have not seen anything yet of the Low,, is coming up from below or coming down from the North , could be significant if they were to to catch the top of it or the bottom,, the bottom could be ok,, the top not so !!
Old 29-11-2019, 14:58   #992

it basically forms right there, something I warned about up thread a bit when you have an area of messy slack pressure you can get a low just pop out of no-where.

boatman is a 'local' perhaps he will have some greater insight to local weather conditions and development here.
Old 29-11-2019, 15:02   #993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You mean an electric-powered donkey, right? (CC concerns re: domesticated farm-type animals ).

Unless it's in the middle of the night or in the midst of bad weather, I'm sure they'll get a "hero's welcome." Or maybe a "heroine's" one. Regardless, we can all wish them a safe (unremarkable) arrival.
no no no no , donkeys in Spain are not domesticated , as in biblical days they are still pretty low down on the pecking order ,, no , a proper carrot fueled authentic beastie is the only one to do justice to the climate / environment / eco movement ,
and yes , we can all wish them a safe , ( and a very remarkable ) arrival
Old 29-11-2019, 15:21   #994

huh ,, just found it , but on the 4th it is still quite far up the Portugese coast and quite close in , so if anything it might even assist the Vagy
Old 29-11-2019, 15:54   #995
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Naah.. They have Northerlies now till Lisbon.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 29-11-2019, 16:06   #996

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Naah.. They have Northerlies now till Lisbon.
huh,, you spoil sport you
Old 29-11-2019, 16:24   #997

i think Rileys bird and their baby are just going to have to hold on tight for a few days and accept that it aint no pick-nick while the crew get on with what needs to be done. character building stuff and all that you know . no pain no gain.
Old 29-11-2019, 21:03   #998

just a quick peek at the latest model run - no surprises.

routing same as before

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=route.jpg Views: 162 Size: 360.2 KB ID: 204009" style="margin: 2px" />

ETA dec 3rd (ish)

as Boaty promised - solid winds until perhaps just close to the finish when may go light. Weather in pic above is for morning of 3rd when might start going light, and histo below shows wind speed over time.

Name:	histo.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	204008

So LV should keep the afterburners on

looks pretty good
Old 30-11-2019, 00:22   #999
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
it basically forms right there, something I warned about up thread a bit when you have an area of messy slack pressure you can get a low just pop out of no-where.
Worth keeping an eye on the 500mB as well, those hinted at the possibility of a low down there before the gribs catch up. Happens once in a while & might be handy if you're waiting to go north.
Old 30-11-2019, 02:57   #1000

Boat: SeaDog 30

Quote:
yup, was actually just thinking about that brake switch - I agree with you it is the better way anyway.

The doctor did say I could ride the trainer as much as I wanted - so sounds like I will be a zwift animal for a while. Will have to find a whole bunch of decent 2hr length movies to watch. I find indoor rides over an hour to be really difficult mentally/motivationally.
Really sorry to hear that. Been there, done that after I landed on my shoulder with my bike and needed an acromioclavicular joint operation.

Binge watching sailing videos is an option Laptop on top of an ironing board provides a flexible setup
Old 30-11-2019, 03:42   #1001

looks like this system is finally going to leave them around 24.00 on the 10 th Nov and i guess then a more southerly course will be set to then pick up the Northerly from the low forming off Galicia ,which seems to be moving inland so should further help them with their run down the Portugese coast ,,, they could of course go into Vigo or Porto etc instead but that would perhaps not have have the publicity impact that a direct landing in Lisbon ( where the CC is taking part ) will have .
Old 30-11-2019, 03:48   #1002
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

The Climate Conference is in Madrid..
Lisbon is the choice because it has a direct line to Madrid.
The others involve changing trains en-route and I would think Greta being mobbed at stations is low on the priority list

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 30-11-2019, 03:52   #1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Climate Conference is in Madrid..
Lisbon is the choice because it has a direct line to Madrid.
The others involve changing trains en-route and I would think Greta being mobbed at stations is low on the priority list
thanks Boaty , my mistake there .
Old 30-11-2019, 04:01   #1004

As we participants of this thread can celebrate more than 1000 postings,
...our friends on LA VAGABONDE can celebrate a new speed record; 23.8 knots

The following fresh update from Nikki Henderson's Facebook also contains a "Weather Routing for Dummies" explanation on why it makes sense not to sail the straight rhumb line from A to B, but rather follow a "ridiculous curve of 100 extra miles"
I must say it is a delight to follow the blogs of this competent young sailor who excels also with her highly readable writing skills!

At 1115 GMT today 30 November they're heading east towards the NW corner of Spain, with a boat speed of 10.4 knots. Rhumb line distance to Cascais marina is 563 nautical miles.

Quote:
Day 18

The stars have just disappeared - after providing a glistening sparkly blanket for us all night. Ever since the front passed over us 24 hours ago, the sky has been clear; the exact same weather pattern that produces those winter mornings after a thunderstorm the night before - where there is frost on the ground being slowly melted by the low-lying sun. You know itís going to be a stunning day, but hats and gloves necessary. Svante, Greta and I took the morning to soak in some vitamin D and consider the excitement to come with the arrival and the COP.

OK some technical jargon:

We have spent the day heading ENE - keeping a true wind angle of about 140-150. Essentially we are trying to make best VMG (fastest speed) east to position ourselves well for when the wind tracks right around to the north east. This has already begun. We started the day yesterday with a wind direction of 270 and it is now (0500 UT-1) 295. We expect by tomorrow morning it will have gone to the right of north, and we should be pointing straight at Lisbon by lunchtime.

Itís an interesting phenomenon that sailing 100 extra miles will get us there faster. It can often feel a bit ridiculous to draw these big s curves on the chart. But we will be thanking it for sure tomorrow when we are taking it aft of our beam, rather than smashing into the wind closehauled - as we would have done If we kept to the rhumb line. This boat in particular is just so much faster with a little downwind in the mix.

Ooo and Iím proud to say that at dusk today we smashed La Vagabonde's speed record and hit 23.8 knots!! Iíd love to say it was due to expert helming and precision concentration ... but honestly, I was doing a bit of star gazing with Svante - coffee in hand - the credit goes to Agatha (our autopilot which we named a few weeks ago). She is pretty good in this flatter sea-state - and the way that she hums - she is obviously loving it 😍

I was saddened to hear about the terror attack in London yesterday - and the anger that is so prevalent. I hope that following us and reading these blogs gives you a little cheer to your morning. There is definitely a feeling on-board that we are about to achieve something pretty special; making the impossible possible really. For maybe the first time today I allowed myself to register that we are likely to actually get Greta to the COP!! Wow. 3 weeks ago we hadnít even met. Iíve seen first hand from my talks Iíve given that a story like this can be a source of inspiration - a pocket of sunshine - for the day. I hope it is for all of you this Saturday! (Is it Saturday?? Losing track of the days!!)
Old 30-11-2019, 04:56   #1005

They are continuing in the 'big curve', going Ely starting to add south, as the winds rotate.

Routing about the same (they are 8nm south of yesterday's routing).

Name:	routing.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	204019

This is the picture for dec 2nd, when they have 30kts (ish) sustained just behind beam (NE). Wind steadily lightens from this point to finish.

548nm to go, ETA Dec 3rd, but a bit earlier than yesterday because of their continued boat speed, and they could easily beat this time.
Closed Thread