Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 15:02   #586
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,365
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
My understanding is that more sophisticated APs use the paddle wheel sensor to detect unusual increases in STW when running downwind and then turn the helm to steer down a wave at an angle.
actually they have multi axis solid state inertial accelerometer sensors so they know boat angle both fore and aft and side to side and acceleration fore/aft, side to side and up/down. They can 'predict' steering action necessary from that - some of the brands do it better than others.

This sensor hardware is just a small step from what is in every smartphone today - pretty inexpensive and consumes little power.

This is all used to more accurately calculate true wind also

oh sorry I see someone already chimed in last page
Breaking Waves is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 15:02   #587
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 873
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
GFS updates every 6 hours 06:15,12:15,18:15,00:15

ECMWF 0.1° updates every 12h 07:15 and 19:15

the two predict wind 'value-added models' PWG and PWE are based off the GFS and ECMWF output and according to predict wind site "Each forecast (PWG, PWE, GFS & ECMWF) is updated twice a day, every 12 hours." so they apparently miss two of the gfs updates.
i will have to think about that for some time maybe undertand it .......

meanwhile ,,,, i think they should keep heading northward for another half day or so up nearer the 40 mark then they can turn E and have favourable winds for next three days or so ,, looks like big calm patch N E of Azores come thursday ( or so )
Cherod is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 15:15   #588
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 873
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patg View Post
Actually modern autopilots like the b&g h5000 also have the ability to
use data from motion sensors which measure roll and pitch. Using this sensors the pilot 'feels' the waves and combined with the wind sensor
it is able to steer the boat even in rough and confused seas...
the way it is going soon we can just stay at home and send the boat off on its own ,, probablly suit the saftey / feartie brigade as it would definatly be a lot safer !!
Cherod is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 15:37   #589
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 5,607
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patg View Post
Actually modern autopilots like the b&g h5000 also have the ability to
use data from motion sensors which measure roll and pitch. Using this sensors the pilot 'feels' the waves and combined with the wind sensor
it is able to steer the boat even in rough and confused seas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
actually they have multi axis solid state inertial accelerometer sensors so they know boat angle both fore and aft and side to side and acceleration fore/aft, side to side and up/down. They can 'predict' steering action necessary from that - some of the brands do it better than others.

This sensor hardware is just a small step from what is in every smartphone today - pretty inexpensive and consumes little power.

This is all used to more accurately calculate true wind also

oh sorry I see someone already chimed in last page
Remarkable. And clearly dating my own AP which is an otherwise excellent B&G Hydra Pilot but is now almost 20 years old. My comment about using the paddle wheel sensor to compensate for aberrant acceleration down a wave probably applies to this previous era but obviously not what is available now. Or maybe I should say what's available now outside the racing world. Might make sense for performance catamarans like LV from what I'm learning about their sailing characteristics in this thread. In any event, thanks for updating me!
Exile is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 16:31   #590
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 13,488
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
some serious issues regarding their fish farming, and secrecy ,, some reports it as the most toxic fish farmed anywhere in the world and proper investigations are not permitted.
They import a lot of Norwegian fish in Portugal. Saw plenty of Norwegian salmon when there.
belizesailor is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 17:03   #591
Registered User
 
Matt Johnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Annapolis MD
Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Posts: 3,235
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Remarkable. And clearly dating my own AP which is an otherwise excellent B&G Hydra Pilot but is now almost 20 years old. My comment about using the paddle wheel sensor to compensate for aberrant acceleration down a wave probably applies to this previous era but obviously not what is available now. Or maybe I should say what's available now outside the racing world. Might make sense for performance catamarans like LV from what I'm learning about their sailing characteristics in this thread. In any event, thanks for updating me!
Trickle down in action. Previously it was just tech available from race oriented companies like NKE, but we've now had it in consumer level autopilots for at least two generations. The more advanced vertical "heave" data (instead of just roll, pitch and yaw) is just now starting to come on board. My B&G, while advertised as heave utilization "coming soon", still doesn't use those N2k sentences (3 years old now) and I don't think it's sent in any other packet. The higher end Furuno, and I think B&G H-series, does use heave.

Matt
__________________
MJSailing - Youtube Vlog -
Matt Johnson is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 17:09   #592
Registered User
 
Matt Johnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Annapolis MD
Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Posts: 3,235
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
They import a lot of Norwegian fish in Portugal. Saw plenty of Norwegian salmon when there.
It seemed like every bay in Norway had at least one fish farm, but the West Coast of Scotland has a lot too. I'd still much rather have the organized farms than the littered bays of fish pots ready to snag a prop.

Matt
__________________
MJSailing - Youtube Vlog -
Matt Johnson is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 17:17   #593
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,365
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

LA has brought their course around as the wind has shifted with this mini-front - as predicted.

They need to go ENE, add some more northing, how much extra northing is a judgment call. The routing suggests at least to 41, but it seems to me that 40 could possibly do it - we will see with more weather updates. An alternate approach to 'pre-planned routing' is to play it by ear - sail east until it lightens and then go NE to find more pressure and rinse and repeat.

Boat speed at the moment is a bit slow, may need to put more sail up at the next change of watch.

The routing at the moment is pretty stable and predictable.
Breaking Waves is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 17:24   #594
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Posts: 2,678
Images: 1
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It seemed like every bay in Norway had at least one fish farm, but the West Coast of Scotland has a lot too. I'd still much rather have the bigger organized farms than the littered bays of fish pots ready to snag a prop

Matt
Eating plant based foods is sustainable and any toxins you consume are at the lowest concentration level - compared with eating animals and processed foods. Humans don’t need to eat meats



Getting back on topic to Greta’s mission. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...f-beef/535536/

A partial quote from the article in my second link : If Everyone Ate Beans Instead of Beef...
“ Recently Harwatt and a team of scientists from Oregon State University, Bard College, and Loma Linda University calculated just what would happen if every American made one dietary change: substituting beans for beef. They found that if everyone were willing and able to do that—hypothetically—the U.S. could still come close to meeting its 2020 greenhouse-gas emission goals, pledged by President Barack Obama in 2009.

That is, even if nothing about our energy infrastructure or transportation system changed—and even if people kept eating chicken and pork and eggs and cheese—this one dietary change could achieve somewhere between 46 and 74 percent of the reductions needed to meet the target.

“I think there’s genuinely a lack of awareness about how much impact this sort of change can have, Harwatt told me...

A cultural change in eating customs and norms is required to save our planet.
SailFastTri is online now  
Old 23-11-2019, 18:00   #595
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,365
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Eating plant based foods .
You are in the wrong thread.

This one is about sailing.

Not agriculture/diet.
Breaking Waves is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 18:03   #596
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,365
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

LV jybes back to a northerly course, with a bit more boat speed.

seem to be playing along the edge of the wind shift and lighter winds.
Breaking Waves is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 18:27   #597
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 10,280
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
LV jybes back to a northerly course, with a bit more boat speed.

seem to be playing along the edge of the wind shift and lighter winds.
Sometimes just taking a rest break from optimum speed for 24 hrs recharges everyone's batteries and cleans up the boat
Pelagic is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 19:12   #598
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 3,651
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
This sensor hardware is just a small step from what is in every smartphone today - pretty inexpensive and consumes little power.
The sensors and processing are indeed low power. The power consumption continues to be driven by the actuator. Our control over that is autopilot parameters and sail trim. The manufacturers label the controls differently but they amount to how quickly they respond to off-course and off-heading, the sliding time window, and hysterisis. Sail trim for balance always makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Eating plant based foods is sustainable and any toxins you consume are at the lowest concentration level - compared with eating animals and processed foods. Humans don’t need to eat meats
You clearly have not read the nutritional information for the Impossible Burger.
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline  
Old 23-11-2019, 22:32   #599
Poa
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 35
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri
Getting back on topic to Greta’s mission.
On topic? Please re-read the first post:
Discussion of weather, routing, seamanship of La Vaga's crossing - no politics or climate discussion pls.
Poa is offline  
Old 24-11-2019, 01:35   #600
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 873
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

well technically speaking this thread is not about " Gretas mission ", wheras the thread diversion is much closer to the issues of " Gretas mission " ,, this thread is about Greats voyage ,, i am fine with that .
Cherod is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Splash of La Vagabonde new Outremer 45' Red Herring Multihull Sailboats 14 25-04-2017 13:57
SV La Vagabonde new ride Jadam79 Multihull Sailboats 184 24-10-2016 04:46
La Vagabonde - Hopeful Charity help in Pacific. gypsyvagabond Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany 1 12-12-2015 12:35

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.