Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 17:24   #196
cruiser

Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
There are people who don't know the difference between the charts and the app, but iNavX uses free raster charts perfectly.
Actually, it is only you whom doesn't understand the correlation between an nav app company and their chart supplier - but that's ok, do carry on.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 17:34   #197
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Ripples View Post
Kiwi, I agree with you 100% - it's ridiculous to have to repay for the same charts when you change your "hardware", and you should be able to re-download on new device, but do you agree it would be fair that the charts on the old device no longer work ? It's very do-able if INavx and X-traverse would want to do it - not sure they want to do it though.
It's like the ITune music, you can have up to 5 devices, pick whichever ones you want.
Would not mind the "2 device" limitation IF I could pick / change the 2 devices over time.

So my question, after reading this long thread, iSailor looks like a good choice. Have you used iNavx ? And is there any key feature missing in iSailor and vice-versa ?

The chart licensing issue (outside the US where I will be sailing) is a clear show-stopper for me going with iNavx
I-sailor is a good choice if you do more than sail out of your bay and will require multiple vector charts from around the world - you won't have to rebuy any charts. With Inavx you will once you get your 3rd ipad onwards.
However, if you are going to hang on to your same ipad model for a number of years, and only use your free NOAA charts, then Inavx is as good a choice as any.

**Edit: I should add here in fairness to Inavx, you won't have to rebuy Vector charts either if you keep your same two iPads that you have chosen to assign the license.
My whole problem with Inavx is that the chart company they have the relationship with makes you rebuy vector charts once you upgrade your ipads from your original two you had the license with.
Guys like Jammer don't think that is Inavx's problem - but it is, because punters like me are not going to buy their app until they sort out a better deal with their vector chart supplier for us, the punters (or consumers as you North Americans might term it).
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 21:59   #198

Boat: Tayana Cutter 37 feet Night Heron

I have (Ok - I HAD) Navionics U.S. & Canada for my iPad 2. Though there were some deficiencies, I thought it an excellent program. But I had serious reservations about relying on it for Navigation.
Navionics originally sold it for $50, then add a few in-APP purchases. That was ostenssibly for a permanent ownership license of Navioionics for the iPad, and worked on iPad2 through the current models. But their latest gambit is exploitative and crooked as a bent stick. A few months ago they shifted to an ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION of $99. Initially they claimed that it had additional features, but would continue support for "legacy" owners. As of iOS7..6 they completely shifted policy.

My version of Navionics abruptly stopped working last week. A brief note on their website informed me that they no longer "support" legacy apps. But worse than that, they locked down the old versions of the program so that it is no longer operational!

Some of you may recall that we had a spirited debate a few months ago about relying on iPad and iPad APPS as a replacement for an "old-fashioned" chartplotter. If I were on a cruise and suddenly found myself without my charting program, I would be worse than extremely upset. Of course the company is free of liability, as I recall they had a disclaimer that this should not be used for Navigation, or some such thing. These bloody bastards (even worse phrases come to my lips) have thrown many sailors to the sharks and shoals.
My only personal consolation is that I have a proper chartplotter (Standard Horizon), using the C-Map chips. Probably C-Map is no better than Navionics, but at least they don't turn off the function of my chart chip even if I don't update to the latest chip.

I go back to my original conclusion, even if for somewhat different reasons..
I recommend a reliable waterproof, sunlight visible, dedicated task specific operating system. If you want to run Navigation software on your laptop, use OpenCPN.org. Brillliant software, though there is no version yet available for the iPad. But you can get Wiindows, Max O/S X and Linux version. Extremely robust, can use both Raster and Vector Graphic charts. Free! Yes, Free!

Do I still love my iPad? Yes, of course. But I really think that Navionics are a bunch of shady characters. So I will continue to use my iPad to read mail, the morning NY Times, shop on line (when my regular laptop is not running), and for those great astronomy and tide/current programs.

Yes, I am double pissed at Navionics. They sold me a $55 package with the assumption that I was buying a program that would be supported by them. They changed the contract unilaterally without warning.

I should have expected this from them. I was originally so impressed with the iPad Navioinics program that when I bought my first Windows 8 operating system in October 2012, the first APP I bought was the Naviionics version of the iPad Navionics. Whammo! A few months later Navionics removed the program from the Windows 8 Store, and then denied that it have ever been there! When I sent them supporting info of my purchase, they then acknowledged that they decided to remove it from Windows Store, but I could continue to use it. But I wouldn't trust my life or my boat to such sleazy characters.

Try it out for yourself. If correct, please confirm to me on the TOGNews and pass word around to your friends. Their behavior is unconscionable. It is not comparable to a game APP suddenly trying to charge for use. This may be vital life threatening disruption of your nav software.
Harvey
Harvey J. Karten

TOGNews & Birdbrains
UCSD
Sent from
hjkarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 13:01   #199

Boat: Seadog 30

I have to say I was planning to pop out tomorrow and get myself an iPad but reading some of these last posts is making me very nervous.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 13:48   #200

Boat: Stevens 47

My navionics ipad app is still working fine on latest iOS version. Looks like they're still selling the $55 version in App Store.
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 14:10   #201

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I use a Nexus 7 Google tablet. The Android version works fine. I just checked it.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 14:35   #202

Both my Carribean and US apps work just fine...just checked them. They prompt me to upgrade to the platinum charts (don't plan on doing that).
bretster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 15:22   #203

I really like my Navionics, but I hate my apple ipad. Been tempted to just throw it out the porthole 50 times
Wannadriveaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:31   #204

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I use a Nexus 7 Google tablet. The Android version works fine. I just checked it.
Well if they did it for the ipad, then count on them doing across all platforms. Business is business after all. Anything to make a buck.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:22   #205

Just back from the Apple Store with an iPad Air.

Now is it iNavX or Navionics ?

Can someone explain the basic difference please.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:52   #206

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have an old Navionics Marine (Great Lakes) for iPhone. It's an old app, and I rarely use it b/c I prefer iNavX (with Navionics). But I just fired it up, and it still appears to be working on my old iPhone 3g and my newer iPad 3. I'm sure it's not updating, but what I have still seems functional.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:08   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Just back from the Apple Store with an iPad Air.

Now is it iNavX or Navionics ?

Can someone explain the basic difference please.
Self help dept here.

It seems iNavX is US only (I think)
Old 05-04-2014, 08:31   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Self help dept here.

It seems iNavX is US only (I think)
No - iNavX also supports dozens of other chart formats, though you have to purchase through x-traverse.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
No - iNavX also supports dozens of other chart formats, though you have to purchase through x-traverse.
Don
Back to the drawing board for me then
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30   #210

Depending on your chart coverage, in addition to iNavX and Navionics, there are a couple of promising nav apps. I'm starting to recommend SEAiq (US and Open), iSailor w/Transas charts, Garmin BlueChart Mobile (not best for real-time/go-to navigation), and Navionics.

I too am concerned about Navionics' recent charge for everything and subscription model. SEAiq is impressive, iSailor display is stunning and worldwide chart coverage.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad