Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55   #46
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: iPad and Navionics question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post

Also opinions of iNavX vs Navionics for the iPad. I know there may be other threads on this so please point me to them if the info on them is current & up to date.
INavx is a waste of space.

To make a route you have to firstly put in each waypoint, which is difficult!, then add each waypoint to the route.
Each route does a max of 15 waypoints.

It's a slow pain in the ass.

I also have Navamatics which won't do a route at all, the Garmin which won't do a route at all....

So I will be buying the Navionics because that has a nav pack for an extra $5 that should be able to do a route by clicking route then touching the screen to make a waypoint and add immediately to the route.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

iNavX has no limit on the number of waypoints a route can have. Routes can be created a couple ways including tapping the chart..

Creating Routes on the Chart - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB

Creating Routes in the "Routes" view - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB

Unlike the Garmin (Planning) app, iNavX can navigate through a route in real-time.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
iNavX has no limit on the number of waypoints a route can have. Routes can be created a couple ways including tapping the chart..
NO it can not!
Even the page you directed me to states that! You can select a waypoint that already exists, only.

3) Select "+" to create a new route or select an existing route.

4) Tap the "+" button to add the first waypoint to the route.

5) Select the Waypoint from the list.

6) Select the "+" button to add a second waypoint to the route.

7) Select the Waypoint from the list.

8) Select the green "+" button to add the next waypoint to the route.

9) Select the green "(+)" button next to the waypoint you want to add another waypoint after.

10) Select the Waypoint from the list.

11) Repeat steps 8..10 for each waypoint in the route.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12   #49
Long Range Cruiser

OK I do own GPSnavx an apology.

The method in Creating Routes on the Chart - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB does indeed work

My apologies for saying it didnt.

A few points.
That method isn't documented in the User Guide in the program.
One still has to click a new waypoint, then click again to select the route input, and that puts it into the route. It would be much simpler, and like other programs, once the route dialogue is done just to single click and the new waypoint goes into the route.

But basically the big problem is not there.

I means I don't have to buy Navionics which I was going to do in the next few days (I was going to do it the other day but put it off) so I have saved $50

I still can't get a route to take more than 15 waypoints by selecting + waypoint and selecting an existing waypoint. However I can put more in if its your click the chart method so that's fine.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:33   #50
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I still can't get a route to take more than 15 waypoints by selecting + waypoint and selecting an existing waypoint.
Sounds like you have your iPad in landscape orientation. After you get to 15 waypoints which fills the entire screen, try scrolling up and you can add more waypoints. Note: I did find a cosmetic bug which prevents the waypoint selection dialog from coming up when at the very bottom of the screen. I will fix this for the next release.
Old 13-12-2012, 05:04   #51

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

So, now that the creation of routes has been clarified back to my earlier question. Why are the iNavX navionics maps more expensive? Is is because of my feeling that they are Navionics Gold & the ones used in the Navionics app are not.

By the way here is a Youtube clip on waypoint & route creation in iNavX.

Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 23:26   #52
cruiser

I've set up my system.

I've installed iNavX on an iPad Mini, and carry it in foul weather overalls.

I've taken it out on one cruise so far, and used it in 37 knots.

It's much easier to use than any kind of paper, and has far exceeded my expectations.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 17:26   #53
cruiser

Okay, next stupid question.

I see how to add maps, it's pretty easy.

So, idiot that I am, I added maps all up and down the west coast, so I could see how to sail into San Diego, where my favorite niece lives.

Of course, that has never happened, and probably won't happen in the foreseeable future...

So my question is, how do I remove those extra maps? They're cluttering my list when I look for one of the half dozen maps I actually use.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 17:30   #54
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jammer Six, I have sent you a PM so I can assist directly.
Old 18-12-2012, 19:58   #55

Quote:
I have ordered my iPad 4 64Gb with Cellular & have been reviewing the Navionics apps for my planned passage from St Martin to Vanuatu in March 2013.

I will need to purchase the Caribbean & South America maps for the first part of the passage but it seems to me that there are no maps for the South Pacific at all.

My plan is to use the iPad as my backup to the new onboard Raymarine e165 to complement the onboard paper charts.

Surely this can't be the case? How could they not have maps for the S Pacific?

Guys?

If you have the Caribbean/Sth American iNavX charts and the South Pacific/Japan iNavX charts, that will cover what you need for your voyage from St Martin to Vanuatu. The gap from the Galapagos Islands to Nuku Hiva or Hiva Oa really isn't needed - it's a passage route with nothing but ocean for 3 weeks of sailing; charts for this section are superfluous for your iPad as a backup nav tool. You should have a paper small scale ocean route chart for this section anyway as a backup against lightning strike, etc. And your main chartplotter will cover the rest....

We are also sailing this route (for me the second time) but in 2014. We are heading to the Caribbean soon to spend 2013 there on our cat....

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 20:09   #56

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Girl View Post
If you have the Caribbean/Sth American iNavX charts and the South Pacific/Japan iNavX charts, that will cover what you need for your voyage from St Martin to Vanuatu. The gap from the Galapagos Islands to Nuku Hiva or Hiva Oa really isn't needed - it's a passage route with nothing but ocean for 3 weeks of sailing; charts for this section are superfluous for your iPad as a backup nav tool. You should have a paper small scale ocean route chart for this section anyway as a backup against lightning strike, etc. And your main chartplotter will cover the rest....

We are also sailing this route (for me the second time) but in 2014. We are heading to the Caribbean soon to spend 2013 there on our cat....
Surfer Girl,

Congratulations. Just realised you know have a Cat.
How is it compared to your previous vessel.
Did you buy in USA or med?

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 21:31   #57

Quote:

Thanks for your reply Surfer Girl / Bloke I will definitely have the relevant paper charts as well.

What part of the Caribbean are you heading to in 2013 as our paths may cross.
Old 19-12-2012, 14:17   #58

Re: iPad and Navionics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Surfer Girl,

Congratulations. Just realised you know have a Cat.
How is it compared to your previous vessel.
Did you buy in USA or med?

cheers

Yes, after a long search we have found our cat. We were looking in the Med and the caribbean, keeping our options open. We chose a Lagoon 440 for the awesome living space for a 44 footer, strong build (for a production cat) and because the wife said it had to be a cat or she wasn't going... Ha! Ha!

Previous boat was a Dufour 43 we bought in Guadeloupe in 2003. It was a great boat, well built and sailed well. I would've bought another mono but the Admiral vetoed....

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Surfer Girl / Bloke I will definitely have the relevant paper charts as well.

What part of the Caribbean are you heading to in 2013 as our paths may cross.

Ozbullwinkle, good to hear you will have paper charts. Quite frankly, sailors who cross oceans without them are mad. A big part of safety is redundancy and low tech always works, electronics don't always work. Having said that, I do like learning about new tools available out there and that's why I've been enjoying this thread. I will probably also buy an iPad with the above iNavX charts and a solar charger as another backup system - I like the fact you don't need a sim card for this system to work.

We are flying to Martinique first of all but will make our way up to St Martin to continue fit out/upgrades to our cat for ocean passage. Probably get there mid to end February 2013. We will stay in the Caribbean until Feb 2014 to enjoy destinations we missed last time, and then sail direct to the San Blas Islands and then on through the Canal....

How long are you hanging around the Caribbean before transitting the Panama Canal?

Surfer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 14:28   #59

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Yes, after a long search we have found our cat. We were looking in the Med and the caribbean, keeping our options open. We chose a Lagoon 440 for the awesome living space for a 44 footer, strong build (for a production cat) and because the wife said it had to be a cat or she wasn't going... Ha! Ha!

Previous boat was a Dufour 43 we bought in Guadeloupe in 2003. It was a great boat, well built and sailed well. I would've bought another mono but the Admiral vetoed....
Sounds great. Mate of mine has just purchased a L440 also in the med and will be heading over in Jan/Feb to start his journey. Could end up the same way myself yet.

All the best.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 03:46   #60

Quote:

Ozbullwinkle, good to hear you will have paper charts. Quite frankly, sailors who cross oceans without them are mad. A big part of safety is redundancy and low tech always works, electronics don't always work. Having said that, I do like learning about new tools available out there and that's why I've been enjoying this thread. I will probably also buy an iPad with the above iNavX charts and a solar charger as another backup system - I like the fact you don't need a sim card for this system to work.

We are flying to Martinique first of all but will make our way up to St Martin to continue fit out/upgrades to our cat for ocean passage. Probably get there mid to end February 2013. We will stay in the Caribbean until Feb 2014 to enjoy destinations we missed last time, and then sail direct to the San Blas Islands and then on through the Canal....

How long are you hanging around the Caribbean before transitting the Panama Canal?
I always use paper charts in conjunction with the chartplotter and agree with you that anyone who doesn't use them is foolish and not being prudent in their passage planning.

We plan on leaving St Martin in the first week of March and will be also be heading for the San Blas islands before transitting the canal. We will have to exchange contact details as our paths should cross somewhere along the way. We will have VHF & a Satphone with wireless connectivity for net access.

What preparations are you making to your cat in St Martin to get it ready for the passage?
Regards,
Steve

Tags
Ipad, navionics, ipad