Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-12-2016, 23:32   #1

Boat: 2019 TBD
? from a newb, Coastal cruising...

So pretty new here and learning a lot. I am working on my 5 year plan, and once my youngest is out adulting I will be jumping in head first and doing the whole liveaboard thing and spend about 5 years cruising the PNW and the inside passage until I am hopefully ready to make that big left turn South. In the mean time as with a lot of people who are a few years out I am trying to absorb as much as possible by reading everything and learning from all you fine experienced folks. Learning is easy to do on this site because so many of you agree on so many things it is easy to get pointed in the same direction.... Just being funny. But really it is very interesting the wide range of answers you get here because it makes you think from so many different perspectives, but I digress...

My question is this, I like so many in my position, am constantly looking at boats for sale even though I know I will not be purchasing one for a few years. I think it is just part of the dream and a great motivational tool to ones self. As I learn more about what I want to do with my future dream boat I am narrowing the field so to speak. But one thing I am not clear on is the definition of a coastal cruiser vs a blue water boat. I mean yes I know a blue water boat is considered a stout boat that can cross oceans successfully and there are a wide variety that can do this. But when you speak of a "good coastal cruiser but not considered a blue water boat" things get a little muddy.

For example if one had plans (like myself) to one day sail from Seattle to Meixico I would most likely cruise off the coast about 100 miles out or so as I have read the sailing is better and the traffic is less. Would that still be considered coastal cruising or blue water cruising? Yes I know I am being simplistic about this scenario but its the best example that comes to mind. Is within CG rescue distance considered coastal cruising or is there some other more accepted distance like within eyesight of land?

And yes I have tried to find my answers via the in site search and a modified google search, but I didn't seam to find what I was looking for. Feel free to send me a link if you know where some are.

Thanks in advance for any clarity you can give me on this.

Tags
cruising