Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2013, 14:54   #376

Re: Free Routing Software. qtVlm

Thanks Tore for this useful info, many of us were missing these gribs when they switched to grib2 only.
maitai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 16:53   #377

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sinbad7, Thanks. Interestingly the Readme.txt states:
Quote:
In the foreseeable future BSH will provide Currentdata only in GRIB2 Format. These data are found in the directory named grib2. This change is necessary because the prediction model will be replaced by a higher resolution model in daily operations. This change in format can happen any time without further notice.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 04:02   #378

Dear matai,
to continue our conversation about the latest version crashing when in the Boat menu. I have just gone to another computer, also 64 bit Windows 7. This time I renamed the old folder and installed QtVlm into a completely fresh folder.

I have exactly the same issues. That is, everything is good until I try to do one thing or another in the Boat menu (open it, or change the polar, or amend the percentage, change the Com channel) and I regularly get a crash.

Just more information, as I know you can't reproduce it there.

cheers
John
JohnHockings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 04:10   #379

What is really weird is that you are to my knowledge the only one having this problem, and moreover you can reproduce it on several machines...

Just to know did you try the mingw-winxp version? That would be helpful for me to know if you have the same problem with it...
Old 17-09-2013, 06:19   #380

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

maitai..

Thanks for the great improvement in the latest version which also now displays most .kap charts at a high resolution even when zoomed.

Still have some problems creating optimized routes as qtVlm advices it is unable to reach
destination point and suggests loading another grib file.Even short,easy distances,well within
the 8 day grib validity.

I am also concerned about the greater .kap map details,with many more details,islands,reefs etc. Will the optimizing algorithm tackle such details?

The publishers of the European grib2 stream data has advised that they have agreed to display duplicate streaming data in both .grib and .grib2 until our navigation programs catches up with the new .grib2 format. I have been advised it is already active,but the .grb1 link is so far not active and displays ´Directory/files does not exist´. However,it must be right around the corner,so keep looking!

Tore
Old 17-09-2013, 08:29   #381

The kaps are only images, coast detection during routing only takes "qtVlm maps" into account (gshhs polygons)

Concerning your routing problem, send me exact coordinates for starting/ending point, plus the polar you are using, and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. Did you reset the routing options to default (there is a button for that in the advanced routing option tab)?
Old 17-09-2013, 21:07   #382

matai, I am away, which is why I'm on another computer. Whilst the computer is high spec (used also for flight simulation), the download speeds here are not. The mingw file is 116mb so I will wait to download that and try it when I am home. cheers John
Old 17-09-2013, 21:18   #383

matai,

an update. Perhaps because of the English language translations on the Vlm site and hence some confusion about registering boats, my QtVlm showed two entries under 'Account management'.

The first of these was the name of my registered boat, and the second was the email address it was registered under. The chosen boat was of course the first. However, I simply deleted the second and for now the issue has resolved itself. That is, I can no longer reproduce a 'crash' when opening and closing the 'Boat' menu.

I shall try this on the home computer as well when I return. Hopefully it will resolve the issue there too.

many thanks for your patience.

cheers
John
Old 17-09-2013, 22:24   #384

Ahhhh somehow you succeeded in registering 2 reel boats, which is normally not supposed to be possible. I'll make sure that won't happen again, many thanks to you for insisting and finally finding the solution

Concerning the english translation, if anyone is interested to improve our poor frenchlish I can send him the procedure. It's a very simple process using Qt linguist program.
Old 18-09-2013, 01:17   #385

Dear matai, I am no expert in the use of QtVlm yet, but would be happy to help with the English translation. And as I'd like to understand the extra uses of the software, this would help me too. Please send the information to me when convenient for you. I think you have my email from when I sent the files to you.

cheers
John
Old 18-09-2013, 02:02   #386

Thank you so much John, just sent you the necessary files.
Old 20-09-2013, 14:25   #387

3.4.2 is released, adding mainly a better support of kap files... A few bug fixes too as usual.
Old 20-09-2013, 16:22   #388

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Your review, improvement and editing of the English Wiki version would also be appreciated: QtVlm/en - VlmWiki
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 04:10   #389

maitai...

The new version works fine on my Win 7 installation thanks.

Most of my .kap charts also works very well but wish there was a quick button to display the charts in their original full scale/zoom.

FYI the old .grib version will be available probably next week as the developers have had a break owing to the German election over the weekend. Keep checking..

Great job Phil !!

Tore
Old 23-09-2013, 05:57   #390

Phil...

I am pleased to advice that European Stream data is now also available in the old .grib format (.grib1) parallel with .grib2 until the major navigation programs have time to upgrade to the new format. Thanks to Kai at Operational Model System of the BSH in Hamburg:
ftp://ftp.bsh.de/Stroemungsvorhersagen/grib1/

Tore

Tags
qtVlm, software