Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 12:23   #136

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Computer for navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
$50-00 second hand refurbished HP laptop with 500 GB of memory,
I put a Telstra Dongle with Sim card in it, Plugs into the USB port,
Dedicated to my Free Open CPN for navigation, Back up for my GPS with C maps,
But also gives me the full internet, emails Etc,
I take it home with me and it runs my PC as well, I also use it in my RV where ever I go,

I bought it for the Kimberlys as only Telstra has a service up there,
Its line of site, Doesnt work over the horizon,
Same Reception as a cell phone,
Living aboard for 4 years simply using my $40 android mobile as a hotspot for the whole boat.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 16:47   #137

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I've just installed a SSD in my Toughbook and now trying to familiarise myself with it. I am very happy with the readability of the screen in daylight.

Now to work out how to install AIS. Maybe I'm mistaken that an AIS receiver is incredibly important but a sender very much less so?

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:20   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken that an AIS receiver is incredibly important but a sender very much less so?

Well, as long as no one else thinks that way ... then sure. Everyone else will have a [working] transmitter and you will see them all - and you can avoid them.

But what if a lot of others think the same way and few to no one has a transmitter? Then you have a lot of boats looking for a signal that isn't there. But surely the "other guy" has a transmitter ... right?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Don't get me wrong: a receiver is better than nothing. But a transceiver is better than that.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:43   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Well, as long as no one else thinks that way ... then sure. Everyone else will have a [working] transmitter and you will see them all - and you can avoid them.

But what if a lot of others think the same way and few to no one has a transmitter? Then you have a lot of boats looking for a signal that isn't there. But surely the "other guy" has a transmitter ... right?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Don't get me wrong: a receiver is better than nothing. But a transceiver is better than that.

I certainly won't argue with you but it is the fast moving ships that would worry me but they would all have AIS transmitters. Slow moving yachts would worry me so much. I wonder what percentage would have AIS transmitters anyway?

"Is AIS worth fitting?

Leisure craft installing AIS can opt for two different routes. A simple receiver to monitor other vessels’ AIS data is inexpensive and easy to fit. Alternatively you can install a class B transponder which will also transmit your vessel’s data to other craft equipped with an AIS receiver.

Having used AIS B for more than 8,000 miles of sailing over the past two seasons, including a circumnavigation of the British Isles, a dozen English Channel crossings, and a passage to the Azores, I now regard it as one of the most useful gadgets on board.

Thanks for your advice
Old 08-03-2020, 04:58   #140

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I certainly won't argue with you but it is the fast moving ships that would worry me but they would all have AIS transmitters. Slow moving yachts would worry me so much. I wonder what percentage would have AIS transmitters anyway?

"Is AIS worth fitting?

Leisure craft installing AIS can opt for two different routes. A simple receiver to monitor other vessels’ AIS data is inexpensive and easy to fit. Alternatively you can install a class B transponder which will also transmit your vessel’s data to other craft equipped with an AIS receiver.

Having used AIS B for more than 8,000 miles of sailing over the past two seasons, including a circumnavigation of the British Isles, a dozen English Channel crossings, and a passage to the Azores, I now regard it as one of the most useful gadgets on board.

Thanks for your advice
I haven't sailed since I've hooked up AIS, but I like it already because I can see the ships in the two shipping channels before I even leave the dock.

I have it coming in to the Raspberry Pi via a USB RS422/485 Adapter from my SH GX2200 VHF/AIS/GPS then onto the OpenCPN Chart

Green is the Pilot Boat. He's probably going out to get the Pilot off. Ship yellow coming out......he's almost out of the bay and into the Atlantic.

Tide/current is going out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00607.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	210254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00605.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	210255  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:54   #141

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I've just installed a SSD in my Toughbook and now trying to familiarise myself with it. I am very happy with the readability of the screen in daylight.

Now to work out how to install AIS. Maybe I'm mistaken that an AIS receiver is incredibly important but a sender very much less so?

Obviously a receiver helps YOU avoid them. A transmitter helps THEM avoid you.

I want ships, yachts, anything, to know I am there, my speed and direction, and my ship's name.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:54   #142

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've got an AIS transceiver on my boat and I love those that just have receivers. And you can always tell who has a receiver only. They're the one's that seem to actively keep out of your way even when they would otherwise be the stand on vessel.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:46   #143

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I've got an AIS transceiver on my boat and I love those that just have receivers. And you can always tell who has a receiver only. They're the one's that seem to actively keep out of your way even when they would otherwise be the stand on vessel.
Receive only is a big step up for those of us used to being without AIS especially those of us Coastal Cruising and dealing with shipping traffic

The ship in the picture outbound is already up to 17.3 knots and he has just now gotten outside the CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel)

I wish I had waited for the system to update before I took the picture and then we would know if it was a tanker or container ship plus a few other details .....it was a container ship. (YM Evolution) I looked up his MMSI Number. Draught 12.1 meters

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ssel:416490000

When they are coming in at that speed they can pop out from behind the Tunnel Islands and be right on you if you are not paying attention

Receive only AIS is still a very nice thing to have.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00606.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	210267  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:23   #144

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
So is an android tablet that does all that plus has inbuilt GPS without the need of a sim card or data connection all for about 1 tenth of the price.

Even my first gen iPad has Wi-Fi and gps no data plan or SIM card required. Just pick one that does have gps as not all models do.
Old 08-03-2020, 20:25   #145

Boat: Burger, RPH 90'

SSD. 1TB Drive just bought one for $100. Now replacing all spinning disk... on the other two laptops. I bought then on ebay from Memory labs. I am using old laps for various functions on board. I am looking at using Rose Point's Coastal Explorer to augment the Garmin 7212. That you cannot connect to your computer.... at least I cannot. I put a cheap planner touch screen computer monitor in the pilothouse connected to a laptop.
Fair_Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 21:49   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair_Skies View Post
SSD. 1TB Drive just bought one for $100. Now replacing all spinning disk... on the other two laptops. I bought then on ebay from Memory labs. I am using old laps for various functions on board. I am looking at using Rose Point's Coastal Explorer to augment the Garmin 7212. That you cannot connect to your computer.... at least I cannot. I put a cheap planner touch screen computer monitor in the pilothouse connected to a laptop.

You won't believe how much of a difference an SSD makes to response times! I put one in my desktop and one in my (navigation) Toughbook and both computers are virtually instantaneous.

Anyone thinking of installing an SSD make sure you get the correct SSD for your brand/model computer. I say that because there are a whole lot of sellers on eBay offering XXX SSD "packet opened- never used"
Old 09-03-2020, 02:18   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Obviously a receiver helps YOU avoid them. A transmitter helps THEM avoid you.

I want ships, yachts, anything, to know I am there, my speed and direction, and my ship's name.

Transmitting is not "less so" but "incredibly important". Believe me, you very much want them to see you.

The OP can buy an AIS transceiver which he can connect via wifi.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:19   #148

Lots of other using the Toughbook for navigation too. (Should be some good tips on these threads)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...63.f_FNzLgoAms
Old 11-03-2020, 07:33   #149

When not in use as a laptop, it makes a wonderful anchor.
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:45   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronautic1 View Post
When not in use as a laptop, it makes a wonderful anchor.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Have you had a bad experience with Toughbooks?

Tags
grass, navigation