Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2024, 09:31   #76

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: "Best" chart/navigation software

Yes, there might be some discount, but for example the French coast is 4*$205, that is $820. Exactly the same from o-charts is 18.90 + 16.50 EUR, $38, more than 20 times less...
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 09:48   #77
JPK

What's becoming increasingly clear to me, through this discussion, in talking with others, and in getting a better understanding of what's out on the market and what is no longer on the market, is that the future of chart plotting apps is tablet-based and not laptop-based. I always viewed tablets as a convenience for simple tasks and "real" work was done on a laptop, but that's not the case anymore and tablets have several advantages over laptops in terms of size, portability, ability to waterproof, built-in GPS, etc. Personally, as I move forward I'll be looking at iPad-based solutions, as they stand the best chance of still being around 5 years from now.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 09:53   #78

That is a sane conclusion and nothing beats iSailor on an iPad. Depending on your area of interest it's only disadvantage is that the cartography is also strictly based on the official vector cells.
Old 16-02-2024, 10:08   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Had a look at MacENC: $331 AUD plus charts
Would have to be very good to beat OpenCPN’s $0 plus charts.
Or Navionics $90 per year including charts
We love OpenCPN and use it extensively now that all our computers are running Linux. Prior to that, we used Timezero ($500). Until you've used one of those navigation packages, it's very hard to know what you're missing. I can say with certainty that a package like TZ is leaps and bounds ahead of OpenCPN in ease of use and chart quality. As it should be for $500!

As for charts, we would gladly pay double or more for opencpn charts that has copy protection that worked with our Linux PC.
Sabado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 12:41   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
One super advantage of going open source is that you are less likely to find that your chosen commercial software suddenly becomes no longer available, or the company changes chart formats, or they discontinue your favorite area, or they double your subscription fee, etc. etc. This is a huge reason why dedicated chart plotters can be problematic after just a few years.
Yes, and another advantage of open-source code is it suddenly goes off the reservation as OpenCPN has done for me. Was working fine a week ago. Today- here's what I get. None of the charts on chart-bar open.

This type of stuff NEVER happens with Coastal Explorer or similar. Why you OpenCPN folks put up with this type of stuff is beyond me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OpenCPN gone wonky.png
Views:	18
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	286389  
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 12:44   #81

Click on either the green or blue bar.
Old 16-02-2024, 12:54   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Click on either the green or blue bar.
Did that. Nothing. Rebooted. Nothing.

As you can see, there are a LOT of routes and waypoints - these were done in the last few months when OCPN was behaving. I've used this before.

I'll get it figured out, but in my opinion, it's not a stable platform. It's free and it provides charts to some difficult to serve locations. Both interesting advantages. But to the OPs premise. It is temperamental and difficult.
Old 16-02-2024, 13:29   #83

My guess would be you removed or moved your charts from their location on the disk. But it is hard to guess from a single picture.
Old 16-02-2024, 13:36   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Did that. Nothing. Rebooted. Nothing.

As you can see, there are a LOT of routes and waypoints - these were done in the last few months when OCPN was behaving. I've used this before.

I'll get it figured out, but in my opinion, it's not a stable platform. It's free and it provides charts to some difficult to serve locations. Both interesting advantages. But to the OPs premise. It is temperamental and difficult.
Perfect example. One click to download the Timezero charts for a location. $30.99 for the entire FP location and the chart is beautiful.
Chartworld.com has better compatibility with OpenCPN though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 5.31.43 PM.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	286391  
Old 16-02-2024, 13:52   #85

Quote:
My guess would be you removed or moved your charts from their location on the disk. But it is hard to guess from a single picture.
That's my guess too. I'll figure it out. Guessing it's not a fatal error. But it's the type of user admin that just doesn't happen with CE or TZ that are developed with a bit more rigor. I've used CE for almost 25 years and while not perfect, have never opened a chart and has it be a worthless blob.

I know OCPN have their faithful. But if you expect OCPN to be more than a niche product for nerds who happen to sail, spend more time making it easier to use and less time adding esoteric features.
Old 16-02-2024, 13:54   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
That's my guess too. I'll figure it out. Guessing it's not a fatal error. But it's the type of user admin that just doesn't happen with CE or TZ that are developed with a bit more rigor. I've used CE for almost 25 years and while not perfect, have never opened a chart and has it be a worthless blob.

I know OCPN have their faithful. But if you expect OCPN to be more than a niche product for nerds who happen to sail, spend more time making it easier to use and less time adding esoteric features.
I am probably missing something here, you say CE and TZ both show the charts even when you delete them from the disk? That must be magic...
Old 16-02-2024, 14:03   #87

Quote:
I am probably missing something here, you say CE and TZ both show the charts even when you delete them from the disk? That must be magic...
They simply don't allow you to accidentally delete them from the disk. It's much more integrated.

And even if you do delete them, it prompts you to download them if you zoom in to the area.
Old 16-02-2024, 14:06   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
They simply don't allow you to accidentally delete them from the disk. It's much more integrated.

And even if you do delete them, it prompts you to download them if you zoom in to the area.
So it is magic. How does an application exactly prevent you from deleting files from the disk of your computer?
Old 16-02-2024, 14:32   #89

Quote:
So it is magic. How does an application exactly prevent you from deleting files from the disk of your computer?
Maybe you should try out your competition to see how high the bar is my friend. Unfortunately, your MO is to blame blame blame.
Old 16-02-2024, 14:36   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabado View Post
Maybe you should try out your competition to see how high the bar is my friend.
I know how high the bar is, what I did not know until now is that there is even magic included in these packages and that they are modifying the systems they run on to an extent that their owner can't do even basic operations on them anymore.

Tags
navigation, software