Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2024, 11:25   #1
JPK

"Best" chart/navigation software

Yes, I know... there's no such thing as a "best" so let me be more specific.

I know there's lots of love here for OpenCPN, but invariably when I hear people describe why they like OpenCPN the first thing I hear is that it's free. The second is that it's open-source. Somewhere further down the list is that it's a good piece of SW. Admittedly I'm just now digging in to learning OpenCPN through YouTube videos and posts on the forum here. I mean no offense, but my initial impression is that, like most pieces of open source software, it's fragile and finicky. It's taken me an inordinate amount of time to figure out what GPS dongle to use on my Mac, with all sorts of inane discussions on drivers, software versions, and whatnot. It seems that with every release of a new Mac OS something breaks and needs to be fixed. This is not the experience I'm looking for. I want something that will work out of the box without me having to dig 20 layers deep to figure out how to make it work and how to keep it working. So if I'm willing to pay for a decent piece of robust software, is there a short list of software I should be looking at? FWIW - I use Navionics on an iPad, and it's OK but just OK. It is definitely more straightforward to set up and start using initially but pretty basic in terms of features.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 11:44   #2

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: "Best" chart/navigation software

Coastal Explorer by Rose Point works great for me from Puget Sound up through SE Alaska.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:35   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
... So if I'm willing to pay for a decent piece of robust software, is there a short list of software I should be looking at? FWIW - I use Navionics on an iPad, and it's OK but just OK. It is definitely more straightforward to set up and start using initially but pretty basic in terms of features.
I tend agree with your sentiment to OPEN CPN. In my experience the product requires dedicated time learning and when I've put in a bit of effort I've usually been rewarded. But I'm often left with the thought 'Wish I'd known that setting/feature/mouse click option before now'. And whilst a great many software products do require some learning effort given their sophistication, it strikes me that the facilities might be more intuitive. I've never managed to get to the top of the learning hill with Open/CPN, and also because my need to use the software has long gaps of months before I go back later to use it I more or less have to start again as a newbe.

But all that aside. In order to try and respond to your question, it would, I think help, if you listed the features/facilities that your are after over and above what you mentioned; mostly install/antecedent upgrade issues, and that Navionics is basic. Perhaps elaborate on what you want to do.
Old 06-02-2024, 13:33   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Being "free" (or almost free on Android) wasn't why I like OpenCPN. However, it did make it easy/cost-free to assess.

OpenCPN "wins" for me because
- works with a wide range of chart formats and sources
- is very flexible with many (!) options and plugins
- works with O-Charts, which are excellent (the only chart source that I've seen quickly updates charts relative to official CHS vector, which are essentially identical)
- works with my PC (planning) and my Androids (used everywhere, phone and tablet)

OpenCPN IS more complicated than Navionics... that's because it does SO MUCH MORE.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 15:51   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I use OpenCPN on my Samsung phone, complete with every raster chart of the USA. If I want to I can connect the phone easily with one cable to my NexDock, which provides a laptop-like experience and a much bigger screen. The GPS on the phone works great everywhere I have been. But, frankly I only use OpenCPN in a very simple manner. I don't plot out waypoints or routes. I just use it to track my course and to display where I am. I plug a few waypoints into a dedicated GPS (old one with no charts) that gives me the course to steer. I find the phone is great for making the final approach to a harbor and an anchorage, allowing me even to stand up and hold the phone to compare to what I am seeing up ahead. I don't want integrated anything, so this simple system works for me.
Old 06-02-2024, 20:55   #6

I am kind of a nerd, but not a total computer geek. I love projects, really I do. I enjoy making tech work for me. I have tried OpenCPN a number of times over the years, and each time given up. It is a clunky program not at all user friendly. Too many features pilled on top of the interface. Designed by committee I could never navigate it in any intuitive way. I realize that members of that committee will be offended by my opinion, but... tough noogies.

I NEED a fully functional NON TOUCH SCREEN interface that is visible in full sun, and fully waterproof, IN THE COCKPIT. Those are my requirements, and if you add those to the system, and the hours it takes to make it work, it is not cheaper than a dedicated chart plotter.

Then the REAL killer is that world wide charts are just not available. I am a world cruiser. I need charts everywhere.

My opinion, is that OpenCPN is suited for people who want free (even when it is more expensive...) , who are comfortable navigating in an enclosed space with a laptop, who sail in USA waters where charts are free, and who are willing to dive deep into the tech side of things instead of sailing.

That is NOT a blanket criticism. I don't think OpenCPN is worthless. All of those things are good and fun. They just are not the way I want to take my boat.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 23:28   #7

Boat: Other people's boats

Where you expect to sail will often determine which charts you need, and that can filter the apps. Since I also run all-Apple hardware, what I use might work for you.

For local sailing here around SF Bay, my go-to is SEAiq: I run it on my phone, tablet, and laptop. It's not the most polished, but it has sufficient features that I consider reasonable for navigation and I have consistency across devices. (Unfortunately non-US charts are at a price point similar to paper!)

This includes things like:
- proper dusk and night modes, not just inverting the colors
- able to mark up the chart (marking out areas, adding text, etc)
- placing multiple EBL/VRMs, incl. attaching to own ship or AIS targets
- can use S-57 / S-63 charts (i.e. NOAA charts)
- good integration with boat instruments (if the boat supports it)

In practice I prefer to reserve the boat's MFD for radar, and refer to my phone/iPad/etc for charts and AIS. When the boat supports it, I like having MARPA targets also plotted on my phone:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ais-marpa-2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	286093

There are others that get close. OpenCPN will run on your Macbook but not your iPhone or iPad. It has all sorts of useful features built in, but many are inconvenient to use, buried in odd places, etc.

Coastal Explorer will run in your phone and tablet, but I don't believe there's a native MacOS version for the laptop. It has good plotting and chart annotation features, but the iPad version doesn't yet support safety depths (but I believe the Windows version does). I think you're also stuck with mainly US (and possible British Columbia?) charts.

If you're going overseas and want something for phone and tablet, Aqua Map and iSailor are two worth considering. The feature sets are limited compared to the others listed, but are still far beyond Navionics. The main strength draw though is reasonably-priced foreign charts. (O-charts, as mentioned, is also an affordable option for OpenCPN.

Navionics I still consider very much a toy: some of these may have been since corrected, but last I checked it only works in degrees true, has no concept of night modes, the chart annotation features are limited to dropping pins, has only rudimentary integration with boat systems, and uses annoyingly tiny chart icons. In its favor the charts have better shallow water / inland detail compared to NOAA.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 03:17   #8

Another plug for Coastal Explorer. I use OpenCPN for o-charts when needed (currently in Pacific Mexico) but it's a clunky bit of software that requires a LOT of keystrokes and fiddling to accomplish fairly simple tasks. Open source seems to mean a lot of nerds toss a lot of stuff at a wall and see what sticks. Sure it does a lot, but in an effort to be flexible OpenCPN does not prioritize important navigational tasks over trivial ones. I suppose that makes it a democratic platform where the user can form their own ecosystem. I find it cluttered and frustrating even though I use it frequently

I've run Coastal Explorer since 2000 or so when I was a beta customer. Their renewal and upgrade policy is extremely generous. I've probably spent less than $150 to keep my original license current. It's a very intuitive product.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 05:21   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I want something that will work out of the box without me having to dig 20 layers deep to figure out how to make it work and how to keep it working. So if I'm willing to pay for a decent piece of robust software, is there a short list of software I should be looking at? FWIW - I use Navionics on an iPad, and it's OK but just OK. It is definitely more straightforward to set up and start using initially but pretty basic in terms of features.

We use TimeZero on a Windows laptop. Works great, even our old version.

Happened into it, because it's completely compatible (near mirror) with the first Furuno MFD we installed on our previous boat circa 2009-ish... and I wanted something to use for planning and back-up.

NOAA charts for free (including annual updates), C-Map charts optional for purchase.

Easy to get started. Install. Use. That's pretty much it.

-Chris
Old 07-02-2024, 08:51   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One super advantage of going open source is that you are less likely to find that your chosen commercial software suddenly becomes no longer available, or the company changes chart formats, or they discontinue your favorite area, or they double your subscription fee, etc. etc. This is a huge reason why dedicated chart plotters can be problematic after just a few years.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
One super advantage of going open source is that you are less likely to find that your chosen commercial software suddenly becomes no longer available, or the company changes chart formats, or they discontinue your favorite area, or they double your subscription fee, etc. etc. This is a huge reason why dedicated chart plotters can be problematic after just a few years.
Have used PC software and chartplotters for over 25 years. Have not encountered this as a problem. As mentioned in a post up-thread, I have about $200 in upgrade fees for Coastal Explorer in over 20 years of use and a dozen releases.

One issue I've had with OpenCPN that the OP touches on is that it's difficult to use and support is a free for all of well intended users, often with WAG solutions. The defined software companies often (not always) have decent support options. They also integrate much better with third party options. TimeZero, for example, integrated seamlessly with Furuno. With Rosepoints NEMO gateway, N2K is auto-configed automatically. OpenCPN has an ancient 0183 interface that must be translated, and even then not all commands are translatable.

Pluses and minuses with each approach. The OP has encountered the minuses of OpenCPN which are substantial. For the life of me, I cannot understand why the vocal fans of OpenCPN do not recognize just what an awful experience it can be. Almost as if their fans have never used anything else.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:43   #12

"Almost as if their [OpenCP] fans have never used anything else."

To answer, I've used many:

Lowrance chartplotter (1st chartplotter and not impressed)

Furuno chartplotter/radar since 2009 (and just purchased new Furuno TZT3 system, 'cause Furuno has been so good)

Oziexplorer (my 1st PC chart experience, OK but easily supplanted by OpenCPN)

Navionics (Android... don't use anymore as Android OPCPN so much better & stopped updating Navionics charts 1.5 yrs ago but regularly check them on webviewer)

CMAP Android (terrible)

and tried several other Android chart apps but didn't continue

Timezero looks good (and will integrate better with my new Furuno) and we'll see, but I do not see reason to pay $$ for PC software when I have OpenCPN.

A HUGE reason I like OpenCPN is knowing the source of my charts and being able to add charts (such as satellite images with depths) as I see appropriate. Others are very limiting regarding charts and often questionable in their source and/or accuracy (including Furuno). These days, I am primarily interested in charts for the west coast of Canada.
Old 07-02-2024, 11:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
"[I].... OpenCPN is knowing the source of my charts and being able to add charts (such as satellite images with depths)... Others are very limiting regarding charts and often questionable in their source and/or accuracy (including Furuno).....
Availability of charts for orphan regions is the reason I bother with OpenCPN. There are o-charts for some otherwise poorly charted areas such as the Pacific Coast of Mexico. That said, I do not share your confidence in accuracy of charts from many of these sources. They are better than nothing. How much better? Difficult to say so caution is required.

Both Coastal Explorer and TimeZero have the ability to overlay satellite images, though do so via Internet connection vs saved images. Certainly a point in the favor of OpenCPN.

In my opinion, there is no single source that works best, at least for cruising outside developed countries. You really need a suite of chart sources and still need to exercise caution.
Old 07-02-2024, 11:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

In my opinion, there is no single source that works best, at least for cruising outside developed countries. You really need a suite of chart sources and still need to exercise caution.

Completely agree. Trouble is, most commercial options limit your choice.

As for Canada West chart "sources", I am well-informed as to what's up-to-date vs not, etc.
Old 07-02-2024, 11:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Completely agree. Trouble is, most commercial options limit your choice.
They do indeed l, probably because they don't want to extend too far beyond what they can control. Open source code doesn't have a responsible entity per se.

In the past week, I've been aboard three long range trawler yachts well into the 7-figure price range. All had electronic refits in the last three years. All run Black Box Furuno with a phalanx of add one - probably $200k in electronics and such. Over the years, I've been on many such boats, often with extremely knowledgeable owners (80% ex-sailors). They have the money and talent to run whatever they want. I have never seen OpenCPN on these boats. Either native Furuno with CMAP; or Coastal Explorer/Time Zero (or some combination).

Folks should run what they are most comfortable with. An often overlooked but of info is crew should also be comfortable with the system - there should be a system of record for all routes that all crew can operate comfortably. Because OpenCPN has such a steep learning curve, I think it's a major fail for that reason alone.

Tags
navigation, software