Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2024, 11:25   #1
JPK

"Best" chart/navigation software

Yes, I know... there's no such thing as a "best" so let me be more specific.

I know there's lots of love here for OpenCPN, but invariably when I hear people describe why they like OpenCPN the first thing I hear is that it's free. The second is that it's open-source. Somewhere further down the list is that it's a good piece of SW. Admittedly I'm just now digging in to learning OpenCPN through YouTube videos and posts on the forum here. I mean no offense, but my initial impression is that, like most pieces of open source software, it's fragile and finicky. It's taken me an inordinate amount of time to figure out what GPS dongle to use on my Mac, with all sorts of inane discussions on drivers, software versions, and whatnot. It seems that with every release of a new Mac OS something breaks and needs to be fixed. This is not the experience I'm looking for. I want something that will work out of the box without me having to dig 20 layers deep to figure out how to make it work and how to keep it working. So if I'm willing to pay for a decent piece of robust software, is there a short list of software I should be looking at? FWIW - I use Navionics on an iPad, and it's OK but just OK. It is definitely more straightforward to set up and start using initially but pretty basic in terms of features.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, software