Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2021, 08:47   #46

Re: A chart plotter with audible alerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
I sail singlehanded on an inland estuary using Navionics on my iPhone. I often sail at night so having the phone in the cockpit with the glare from the screen so I can watch the chart is not a great option. There are a few fixed but unlighted obstructions in my sailing area that are very difficult and sometimes almost impossible to see at night. Being able to set an audible alarm parameter around those obstructions would be a great comfort. I have emailed Navonics about the possibility of adding this feature but to no avail.

Would be curious to learn why you apparently don't know where they are?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:45   #47

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
One could "argue" that setting a "route" on a marine GPS is a road, and that the GPS voice should warn you if you are about to encounter a hazard.
My car's GPS voice doesn't alert to hazards either; it simply says things like "in 200 m, turn right". Really not much different from chartplotter routing with defined segments replacing roads. If the road ends in a T-intersection it's not going to start blaring "pull up! pull up!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
because in developing the route...
This might be a key difference: sometimes people develop a route, and sometimes they want to aimlessly wander. I can study a chart before a trip, but without a defined route I can't as confidently say "and here we must be wary of shallows to port". There is a greater need to refer to the chart more often, and thus a greater risk should distraction delay that.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:57   #48

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
I often sail at night so having the phone in the cockpit with the glare from the screen so I can watch the chart is not a great option.
If you dig around a bit you'll find a thread or two on getting a proper night mode for devices. I'd suggest an alternative to Navionics, one that has an actual night mode built in. There are also adjustments you can make beyond the obvious screen brightness setting, which doesn't go particularly dim. At the most basic (and possibly most effective), you can try slipping a photo gel inside your waterproof case to darken the screen.

Depending on the setting, if the obstructions are somewhat accessible I'd be tempted to add some bits of retro-reflective tape. Actually... this gives me a better (worse?) idea...
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:15   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What you describe sound more appropriate for a beach cat or a sunfish.

What size boat is this?

What is the body of water you're navigating on?
The boat is 7m/23ft with 90hp outboard.

I'm not sure what "body" means (English is a foreign language to me, so are marine terms...) in this context, but it's lake Lammasjärvi in Finland ( https://www.google.fi/maps/place/Lam...8!4d29.7168638 ).

It is maybe 30km/20mi long and 2km/1mi wide, average depth is 4,5m/15ft and max. dept 21m/65ft.
BeginnerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:47   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
There are always limitations in making an analogy as you do comparing a vehicle speed warning device to depth and obstruction devices with the inherent and very different possible outcomes.

Lastly, the automotive industry is much larger than the recreational boating industry and there is more financial incentive to produce electronics for them than for recreational boats.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Yes, the outcomes are different, but these both have one thing in common: They both warn me about some bad thing that will happen if I don't take action.

Yes, the automotive industry is larger, but c'moon, auto navi systems are nowadays free for the end-user, so, that has become bulk. And the technology that would make it possible for the chart plotters to give decent alerts, have existed around 20 years. We're not talking about state-of-the-art technology. Also, there's definitely plenty of money involved in the boat business worldwide, and boat owners are used to pay 5 times higher prices for anything (compared to similar equipment in other areas of life)...
Old 10-05-2021, 12:08   #51

I think that we have established that there are existing navigation solutions that will give and audible alert if you are approaching an area of shallow water and that the definition of "shallow" is user defined.

We have also established that there are existing navigation solutions that will give an audible alert to you if you get too close to any area that you define as dangerous.

You have explained that you did not know that any marine navigation system was capable of providing any type of audible alarm. You now know that is not the case.

Exactly what are you looking for that is not currently available in any dedicated marine navigation device?
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:29   #52
PJS

Boat: 2008 40' Sea Ray Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerBoater View Post
I'd rather not pay attention to the chart as long as there's no specific reason. If there's deep water all around the boat, I'd rather enjoy the lake view. And an audio warning would alert me and make me look at the chart and decide if I need to change the course or not.
Vessels can contain what you are looking for... I have radar on my vessel to provide view of things above the water that I cannot necessarily see, I have depth sonar both forward and under to know what's ahead under the water, I also have a chartplotter to navigate route.

If you are looking for a navigation system to inform you to turn 5 degrees to port to miss and obstacle you will find, as your boating experience grows, that is not only impractical but unrealistic.

I live and breath in the technology world...I think technology has produced so many wonderful possibilities but...

I will share a story (I own a 40' twin engine with 22" props) that should resonate; one day I was leisure cruising in the Puget Sound sightseeing beautiful homes while I have one eye on the depth sounder (yes, I do have a depth alarm for <6' - anything else is a PITA when going into marinas...) was traveling at maybe 2KT's when the water depth went from 22' to 4' in the blink of an eye... before I could move fast enough I hit a ledge and heard/felt a clunk. I am on my 6th boat and never hit before. Long story short is I had to repair 2 props at the cost of $2k apiece not including labor and time off the water. The depth sounder alarm due to transducer location did not matter, it told me what I already heard and felt.
Point being, no system is going to provide the eyes and ears for you and even with tools, **** can still go wrong in the blink of an eye. My lesson was to realize, even though I was 500 yards out and gone through there dozens of times, as the Captain, it was my responsibility to insure the safety of the souls on board and I failed that day. Had I paid closer attention to the chart I could have avoided.
As the Captain of a boat (regardless of size) you/we have an obligation to fellow boaters and our crew; technology cannot minimize that obligation. Pleasure with responsibility.
PJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:40   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
You look at the chartplotter to see IF there are shallows/rocks in front that are not readily apparent by looking at the water.

You look at it for the same reason you want it to give you an audible alert: to let you know there is something ahead that may need your attention.
My idea was, that during the joy ride I'd rather give up my sense of hearing to that task than my sense of seeing. I want to use my eyes for enjoying the lake view, not reserve them for the chart plotter.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:50   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
Vessels can contain what you are looking for... I have radar on my vessel to provide view of things above the water that I cannot necessarily see, I have depth sonar both forward and under to know what's ahead under the water, I also have a chartplotter to navigate route.

If you are looking for a navigation system to inform you to turn 5 degrees to port to miss and obstacle you will find, as your boating experience grows, that is not only impractical but unrealistic.

I live and breath in the technology world...I think technology has produced so many wonderful possibilities but...

I will share a story (I own a 40' twin engine with 22" props) that should resonate; one day I was leisure cruising in the Puget Sound sightseeing beautiful homes while I have one eye on the depth sounder (yes, I do have a depth alarm for <6' - anything else is a PITA when going into marinas...) was traveling at maybe 2KT's when the water depth went from 22' to 4' in the blink of an eye... before I could move fast enough I hit a ledge and heard/felt a clunk. I am on my 6th boat and never hit before. Long story short is I had to repair 2 props at the cost of $2k apiece not including labor and time off the water. The depth sounder alarm due to transducer location did not matter, it told me what I already heard and felt.
Point being, no system is going to provide the eyes and ears for you and even with tools, **** can still go wrong in the blink of an eye. My lesson was to realize, even though I was 500 yards out and gone through there dozens of times, as the Captain, it was my responsibility to insure the safety of the souls on board and I failed that day. Had I paid closer attention to the chart I could have avoided.
As the Captain of a boat (regardless of size) you/we have an obligation to fellow boaters and our crew; technology cannot minimize that obligation. Pleasure with responsibility.

I guess the radar or depth sonar don't see very far to the front, right? But the chart plotter, it knew very early that there's a sharp swallow ahead. Why didn't it (audible) alert you?
Old 10-05-2021, 13:06   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
My older Furuno chartplotter with CMAP does have a "safe route" checking option.

I've turned it OFF as it would always find shallows/rocks ahead on my current course, ones which I see on the chart and fully intend to avoid.

But the chartplotter can't seem to read my mind....
Seems like your course has so many shallows/rocks anyway, that you need to look at the C/P (almost) all the time. I understand that you don't benefit from audio alerts but they are annoying and you've turned them off. In my water area, the shallows/rocks are so rare, that 95% of the time I would not benefit from looking at the C/P, and 95% of the time the audio alert is silent. Listening to the audio alert that remains silent is much more pleasant than looking at the C/P that shows safe water depths all the time.
Old 10-05-2021, 13:32   #56

The reality of piloting a boat is that you will need to dedicate a portion of all of your senses (some more than others) to the task of operating the boat. Regardless of any instruments on board your sense of sight and hearing should be dedicated first to the safe operation of the vessel and a distant second to any other function.

If you want to just enjoy the view you should let someone else operate the boat. Being in charge of a vessel of any size is a serious responsibility both from a legal, and more importantly, moral position. Until you get thoroughly familiar with your boat and the area in which you are boating the vast majority of your attention needs to be on the boat and everything around it. Sight-seeing will come later.

Any electronic equipment you add to the boat are enhancements of your senses, not replacements for them. You can't trade off one for another. Look around to be aware of all of the other boats in the area. Learn to read the water to discern depth and underwater obstructions. Listen for other vessels or changes in your own. Feel changes in the air that presage changes in the weather or changes in your engine that may indicate a developing problem. Learn to smell and taste the changes in the air before it rains.

Study the charts before you go out and decide on areas where you want to explore or ones that you want to stay away from. Compare the charts to what you actually see on the lake. 60 square kilometers is not a lot of lake to learn, particularly in a power boat.

I'm sure you can walk anywhere in your home in the dark and seldom bump into anything. Before long it will be as familiar to you as your own home and you will be just as unlikely to bump into anything unexpected.
Old 10-05-2021, 14:17   #57

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerBoater View Post
In my water area, the shallows/rocks are so rare, that 95% of the time I would not benefit from looking at the C/P, and 95% of the time the audio alert is silent. Listening to the audio alert that remains silent is much more pleasant than looking at the C/P that shows safe water depths all the time.
When sailing on the ocean well over 99% of the time there is nothing to notice - but we are still expected to keep a good watch 100% of the time. Not wanting to be the captain except when disaster is imminent is just lazy and irresponsible. I don't intend to be rude, but you really need to listen to us. You have a full-time responsibility when under way (even on a lake) and no electronic box will relieve you of it, or protect you from all risks. If keeping on top of your boat's situation lessens your pleasure then sell the boat and offer yourself as crew, or find a shoreside pastime. Please stop trying to find ways out of your responsibilities - it is not a good look.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 15:15   #58

Yes chart plotters can give both audible and visual alerts when connected to AiS and transducers.

Imputing a passage plan will also give waypoint and off course alarms

Relying on alarms alone is very poor navigation practice and I suggest you learn road rule 5 first and foremost.

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
riv4pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 15:48   #59

He's on an inland lake in Finland so COLREGS may or may not apply directly. The advice is still good, just not sure the authority cited is applicable.
Old 10-05-2021, 15:59   #60

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

This from the user manual of SITEX plotter http://productimageserver.com/litera...al/48679OM.pdf

Grounding Alarm

To verify potential danger to navigation such as shallow water (depth areas), intertidal areas, land, rocks, obstructions and shoreline constructions. The maps are scanned every 10 seconds. If any of the above objects are found, the chart plotter notifies the danger on a dedicated warning message box. The active "Grounding Alarms" are shown in the Grounding Alarm Report page.To activate the Grounding Alarm: [MENU] + "Alarms" + [ENTER] + "Grounding Alarm" + [ENTER]The chart plotter scans a sector in front of the boat. The direction is determined by the current boat heading. You can select the length and its angle is 30 degrees. The Grounding Alarm is switched Off by default after a Master Reset.Grounding Alarm RangeTo set the length of the sector to be detected among 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 Nm. [MENU] + "Alarms" + [ENTER] + "Grounding Alarm Range" + [ENTER
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote