Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2014, 14:28   #1

Windlass replacement/boatyard recommendations

After coming out of storage the windlass on my 1996 Island Packet 37 is frozen and will not operate. I am currently in Cocoa, FL on my way down the ICW to Lake Worth to prepare for my first crossing to The Bahamas. I am having a very hard time finding anyone willing to install a new one. Does anyone have suggestions for a good boatyard or mechanic in the Ft Pierce or Stuart area or anyplace between Cocoa and Lake Worth? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
warchbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 17:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Windlass replacement/boatyard recommendations

You know I can't find someone to give money to either, I guess I'm going to have to do it myself, I can't believe it, but I can't even get estimates for a generator install.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 17:29   #3

I hate to say this, But either one of those jobs could be handled by a novice. And we were all novice's at one time. Just stop a while near a town, like Sturt Florida and park in the big bay downtown and go buy whatever tool you need at Harbor freight. take something off and mark it with a piece of masking tape so you know where it goes and keep doing that until you get done and you will have repaired your windless or your generator. If you are going to sail,
you either pay the Piper or play the tune yourself. If you start playing now you can do it later, when you really need some help, and the Piper is not around Mac

Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 18:07   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
I hate to say this, But either one of those jobs could be handled by a novice. And we were all novice's at one time. ............ :
Yes we were but some of us studied formally, some studied informally or just grew up around people were "handy". Not everybody is handy and not everyone has the skills to install a windlass or more importantly a marine genset.

Replacing a failed windlass is relatively simple providing the replacement is the same brand and model. Not so simple if the holes need to be moved or the wiring is different. Even with the same wiring a person would have to know how to make proper, safe and moisture resistant connections. Not everyone can do that and I have seen the results.

A novice installing a marine genset? Bad Idea. Really bad idea. There's mechanical, there's fuel, there's exhaust and there's electrical. Anything done wrong could be fatal, both to the boat and to the occupants.
Old 14-11-2014, 18:11   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473

We replaced ours ourselves -- it was really easy. Are you replacing the whole thing or are you trying to replace parts?

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 19:09   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=rwidman;1678080]Yes we were but some of us studied formally, some studied informally or just grew up around people were "handy". Not everybody is handy and not everyone has the skills to install a windlass or more importantly a marine genset.

With your formal education you must have lots of money. When you are stuck somewhere I hope it all works out, because not being "handy" must suck.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 19:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Warchbold,

Do you have any info on the windlass, Maker, model etc.
Bit more detail would be useful in getting helpful replies. Never know, might turn out to be an easy fix.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 21:05   #8

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

I installed the original and the replacement on my IP37. It gets a bit tight to work in the anchor locker from the V berth, the trick is to remove the staysail support turnbuckle and tangs that are attached to the divider. If you get a similar unit the wiring should be the same, just label the existing connections. At the most you may need a saber saw and a drill plus some hand tools.

Note, I also installed a generator that has been running safely for the last ten years.

Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:28   #9

[QUOTE=Guy;1678126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yes we were but some of us studied formally, some studied informally or just grew up around people were "handy". Not everybody is handy and not everyone has the skills to install a windlass or more importantly a marine genset.

With your formal education you must have lots of money. When you are stuck somewhere I hope it all works out, because not being "handy" must suck.
What do you mean by that? Is it supposed to be an insult of some kind?
Old 15-11-2014, 06:30   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, warchbold.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 07:46   #11

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Pull the electric motor off of the windlass, take it into a starter repair shop, have them service it, then reinstall it on the windlass. Electric motors are relatively easy to repair and maintain and don't cost that much to get serviced. After you get it back, spray it with hydrophobic paint available at Home Depot. Make sure your electrical connections are solid and dry.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 08:07   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can do the generator install, I have the skills, just would take probably every weekend for the next month and a half. Let's see what it costs to have it done, that may be what determines if I do it or not.

Maybe the OP just wants a new windlass? Most people do not do their own work
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 17:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Pull the electric motor off of the windlass, take it into a starter repair shop, have them service it, then reinstall it on the windlass. Electric motors are relatively easy to repair and maintain and don't cost that much to get serviced. After you get it back, spray it with hydrophobic paint available at Home Depot. Make sure your electrical connections are solid and dry.
I suggest making sure the problem is with the motor before removing it and carting it off to a shop. Just a little hint I picked up while working for a living.
Old 16-11-2014, 06:55   #14

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Also having done this for a living, I have learned that equipment that sits idle, in dark, damp places, and that is composed of multiple, vulnerable metals, and uses electricity, needs to be inspected, from time to time, and given preventive maintenance. Windlasses are not damaged by removal and cleaning, inspection and servicing. That goes for the switches that manufacturers insist on installing on the deck surface where they leak and die. I installed my up/down switch on the pulpit, farther from the source of possible discontent.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 08:17   #15

About 3 or 4 seasons ago I got an old Nielsson H700 which came off a 50ft aluminum sailboat. It's the "all on deck" model with drum and gypsy on each side, motor inside the housing and nothing below the deck. Since it's outer shell looked scruffy and faded and lube nipples looked questionable my marine pro buddy suggested that we give it a through inside look and possible overhaul which would be pricey but still cheaper than buying new or near new windlass. With trepidation and anxiety and with a lot of coaxing of the bolts I watched him unbolt the thing and to our immense surprise the insides looked practically new. The worm gears and shafts and the motor all were in good shape, propeprly lubed and no sign of damage anywhere. The only issue were the lube nipples which must have corroded and or became weak and bent and would not let the lube through. Though miracuosly the insides stayed lubed and free from salt, dirt, etc. So I carefully drilled them out and replaced them with new nipples. I sanded and buffed the shell and then painted it inside and out with one base coat, 3 reg. coats of auto enamel paint and 2 top coats of clear enamel finish. 3 years later it works like a new unit although the paint does not as I must have missed something in applying it or may be just from regular use it needs to be repainted after 3-4 seasons.

The initial asking price was stiff for such an old unit, around $600 and I wasn't sure it would work well since it did look scruffy and somewhat neglected. And considering that a basic windlass could be purchased new from ebay/c-list for about a $1,000 there was not much incentive to get this one. But after dragging my boatbuilder buddy to check it out (not the same guy who helped me open it up) I was assured by him that it was a good deal since this type of a windlass is at least $2,000 and probably closer to $3,000 new, which a later trip to Newport Boat show confirmed ($2,900 plus tax "boat show price", $3,200 regular price). The second marine pro buddy also pronounced it a great deal after I bought it and we opened it up for inspection.

Now some may say I lucked out geting a scruffy unit and having it turned out fine but I think that even if the unit needed extensive repairs it would still be a great learning experience and still cheaper than the $3K asked for a new unit. From my perspetive putting a $3K brand new windlass on a then 30 year old boat is just not happening.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wind, windlass