Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2024, 03:14   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: What's your anchoring etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorgan562 View Post
Does anyone, has anyone heard of a cursing book of etiquette?
No, but I think one should exist. Cursing is an art that has long been lost in exchange for just strings of expletives. However, a well-ordered diatribe of invective and epithet is far more biting, effective, and satisfying both to receive and deliver. Perhaps we should crowd-source one.
Old 25-04-2024, 04:18   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorgan562 View Post
Does anyone, has anyone heard of a cursing book of etiquette?
“Cussing for Kids!: Etiquette for the Profane” [by Jimmy Huston] is about why we cuss, how to cuss, how to cuss well, when to cuss, and how to get away with it. There’s also a bit about where to cuss. But no actual cussing.
And, there are pictures.

Q: What do you call a pain reliever, that makes you curse?
A: I be profane.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 05:47   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
No, but I think one should exist. Cursing is an art that has long been lost in exchange for just strings of expletives. However, a well-ordered diatribe of invective and epithet is far more biting, effective, and satisfying both to receive and deliver. Perhaps we should crowd-source one.
I'd love to see this topic in an etiquette book. When I read the first posts by the OP that he laid a second anchor when there was a nearby boat in the anchorage, occurred to me that someone should talk to him about etiquette as well.

Anchoring too close (or unnecessarily close) is definitely a faux pas. But so is laying two anchors when there are boats with single anchors or it's not necessary (sorry, but wanting to swim to shore as the OP stated is not necessary). Another faux pas is laying stupid amount of scope - I recall one boat anchored off the crowded anchorage in Cabo brushing off boats because he had an undersized anchor and therefore set 250 feet of ride in 18 feet of water.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 05:56   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I try to be polite.....and anchor more or less where I want...if a nearby boat complains I'm too close....I respond..."it's ok, I'm not worried, I have a steel hull"
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 06:03   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

As I said, dual anchors have their place, but it's not something to be used for general anchoring. I deploy a second anchor for special circumstances. Preventing a collision might be one such circumstance, although I've never had to do that.
I agree with Mike’s comments on two anchors. To my way of thinking it is every bit as disruptive in a crowded anchorage as dropping 20:1 scope.

The fact you sail around your anchor is expected (or should be!) by others. It is also reasonable for them to expect you to swing around when the wind changes, like everybody else. If you swing so much more than other boats you think it is a hazard, get a riding sail and settle her down.

What defines “good” behavior varies a lot depending on the anchorage and the number of boat’s present. In a crowded spot, fixing your position and having a swing circle of essentially zero will make you the hazard.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 06:20   #66

Boat: Finnsailer 38

As I pointed out earlier, there are places to use a second anchor that will prevent you from encroaching on others. One place I anchor fairly regularly is usually crowded and tight, so I anchor with my stern right on the edge of shoal water. When there is likely to be a 180-degree windshift (passage of a front or thunderstorm) I sometimes drop a second anchor on the shallows behind my boat in a traditional Bahamian moor, if there is nobody anchored there, which is the case 99% of the time because it is less than 3-4 feet deep at low tide. When the 0200 windshift hits and starts screaming all the boats pivot to the new wind, and inevitably someone breaks loose and causes havoc in the anchorage or drifts into the mooring field. My second anchor means we pivot in place and stay even further away from everyone and the carnage downwind. Another place where I have used second anchors extensively is when anchored up a narrow creek off the ICW in the Carolinas. Usually, there is nobody around, but the second anchor will keep us in the deeper water and off of docks when the current or wind switches. Used the same thing in the Bahamas, when anchored in places like Pipe Creek with a reversing current. Used it in the San Blas in order to stay anchored well off a coral reef just in case the wind switched, and it did and blew 56 knots from the opposite direction. Other boats dragged onto the reef. Etc.
Old 25-04-2024, 06:50   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yup, there are a lot of good and valid reasons to use multiple anchors. I've done so, mostly to limit swing when anchored in confined waters. I too like to anchor in shallow areas, or squeeze into narrow inlets, so sometimes it's necessary. There are also places where we would tie to land, with a stern anchor out.

So, lots of special situations, which may, in fact, be common in certain areas.

I think we're saying the same thing... Generally speaking, dual anchors in typical anchorages are not needed, and doing so in a normal anchorage can lead to problems for the anchored boat, and for a lot of others anchored in and around.
Old 25-04-2024, 06:57   #68

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I think we're saying the same thing... Generally speaking, dual anchors in typical anchorages are not needed, and doing so in a normal anchorage can lead to problems for the anchored boat, and for a lot of others anchored in and around.
True, it is always important to keep in mind how those around you are anchored, assuming they are doing so safely. I've noted before it is not good to put out 10:1 scope even if you are the first one in, and then berate anyone that anchors within your ridiculous swinging radius. Bottom line for me is to avoid encroaching on anyone's space, while at the same time recognizing that there is a limited amount of anchoring room to be shared. Plus, my motto is, "There is always room for one more!" Don't be that boater that ruins it for everyone by claiming an exclusive right to the shared space.
Old 25-04-2024, 07:01   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
True, it is always important to keep in mind how those around you are anchored, assuming they are doing so safely. ;;;
... Don't be that boater that ruins it for everyone by claiming an exclusive right to the shared space.
Indeed! Well said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 07:14   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Bottom line for me is to avoid encroaching on anyone's space, while at the same time recognizing that there is a limited amount of anchoring room to be shared. Plus, my motto is, "There is always room for one more!" Don't be that boater that ruins it for everyone by claiming an exclusive right to the shared space.
Nicely put. When I'm anchoring, my first considerations have to do with safety and where I would like to be, but after that I always try and anchor in a way that allows for others to come in a join. This usually means anchoring off to one side, and not dropping the hook right in the middle.

I always try and leave room for someone else.
Old 25-04-2024, 08:00   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

All jokes aside, I can remember pulling into an well known anchorage area were the water was maybe 8-9' deep. Smack bang in the middle was a guy with about 300' of rode out.
On top of which, he had marked his anchor placement with an orange float, which could be seen way off in the distance, where it could have easily been mistaken for a buoy of some sort.

His boat was one of those types that dances all over the place, and he was having a conniption anytime any came close to his boat, his rode or his anchor.

As the day wore on, more boats arrived to anchor, and pretty soon they were anchoring each side of his 300' rode, but when the wind shifted, so too would their boats, with some boats clearly between the man's boat and his anchor marker or immediately adjacent to it. On top of which, his boat was also swinging dangerously close to others, so much so, you could jump from one boat to the other without any trouble.

No amount of talking could get this person to shorten his rode to a more acceptable practical length as he clearly insisted he knew what he was doing and we were all morons in his way.

Finally, about ready to explode with anger, the man finally pulled up his anchor and left to anchor elsewhere, all the while cussing all those around him in no uncertain manner.

So one would ask who is right and who is wrong in this situation and could an equitable solution be found to provide peace and harmony for all involved.
That he was there first is undeniable, but with his rode length, made it impossible for most anyone else to anchor in the area.

For the most part, my experience has been that most boats/skippers in an anchorage try to work with each other regarding space, etc, etc, but every once in a while, a situation such as I described above happens, making for an awkward situation for anybody else wanting to anchor there.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 08:17   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
All jokes aside, I can remember pulling into an well known anchorage area were the water was maybe 8-9' deep. Smack bang in the middle was a guy with about 300' of rode out.
On top of which, he had marked his anchor placement with an orange float, which could be seen way off in the distance, where it could have easily been mistaken for a buoy of some sort.
I've only had one, nearly identical, encounter over the now 2+ decades of my cruising life. Nearly the same situation; boat anchored in less than 10' of water, with something like 15-20:1 scope (or so he claimed). Anchor dropped right in the middle, essentially blocking everyone else from using the anchorage. Thankfully, no damn anchor bouy though.

I went in, and the fellow comes up and starts yelling, "I have 200 feet out!!!" I knew this was nuts, but manage to find a way to squeeze in very near shore. He yelled a few more times. I just thanked him for the info.

The additional annoyance was, this was a little boat, which probably drew three feet, vs my six feet. He could easily have anchored much further in, buy was clearly trying to have the anchorage all to himself.

He kept huffing and puffing, but I knew even with his ridulous scope, we were fine. Sadly, he was not alone on the boat. A woman, who I took as his wife, passed a few "sorry" glances our way. But the idiot continued to rant, mostly at her now. I really felt bad... for her.

Finally, the idiot pulls up and leaves. I watch, and he's barely got 100' out, if that; still too much, but nowhere near the amount he was claiming. Clearly he was just trying to drive everyone away.

This is the only experience I've had with this sort. The vast majority of people are kind, and considerate of others, just as Kettlewell says.
Old 25-04-2024, 08:28   #73
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Anchoring threads. Something I don't believe was mentioned was case law. Forgetting etiquette for the moment ...
  • The first boat that anchors has a right to a clear berth, and anyone who comes later has to keep clear. Not clear of what the sailor wants, but clear of collision.
  • In the event of collision, fault can still be shared, if for example, the first boat could have shortened up his rode, but if there was a breeze, there is a good argument that this was not practical.
  • If the first boat begins to drag, any privilege of being first is lost, since the boat is underway, not anchored. But good luck proving dragging.
  • All of the boats have a responsibility to do what they can to avoid.
  • Remember, you have a responsibility to maintain a watch, even at anchor. Yes, even at anchor. This duty only goes away at the dock.
Now back to courtesy. I don't like crowds anyway. Speaking of which, the Annapolis spring sailboat show starts tomorrow.
Old 25-04-2024, 08:30   #74

You will really be in thick of anchoring issues when you get to La Paz! Soft bottom, strong current, tide changes current direction, many yachts. And captains at all levels of seamanship.
- Phil
DebPerfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 08:49   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPerfitt View Post
You will really be in thick of anchoring issues when you get to La Paz! Soft bottom, strong current, tide changes current direction, many yachts. And captains at all levels of seamanship.
- Phil
Yeah, "the dance". Current direction changes twice a day. We helped to save a Westsail 32 twice there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring