Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2024, 19:11   #1

Toilet bowl water level

Hi all,
Can someone pleeease tell me what maintains the water level in the bowl of my Jabsco electric toilet once it's been flushed? I've just replaced the motor to the macerator ( unfortunately got inundated with water after shower was accidentally left on) put it all back together , as it was and it seemed to be working great except now it just keeps slowly filling after flushing and keeps going. If I don't turn off the incoming sea cock it would actually over flow ....why?!?!? I've checked for back flow, changed the joker valve, mucked around with a Hundred different settings of the vented loop....nothing works..please help me. I'm about to lose my mind!!!🤨😂🙏🏻
Moggatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 19:44   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Toilet bowl water level

I assume it is raw water flush, not fresh?

What you describe is entirely consistent with a toilet that SHOULD be fitted with an anti siphon valve between the pump body and the bowl. If the valve is not there, it should be fitted immediately, if it is there it needs to be serviced urgently.

As to why this has started now? Either the plumbing was reassembled without a previously fitted anti-siphon OR the new impeller is allowing more bypass than the old impeller.

Edit: I see you have a vented loop. WHERE in the circuit is it installed? Is the air breather clear? It is WELL above the static waterline?
Old 08-06-2024, 20:36   #3

mucked around with a Hundred different settings of the vented loop....

GILow is right, but what does this ^^^ even mean. The vented loop must be between the pump and the bowl not on the rw intake line, at least on manual heads. What does your Jabsco manual say you should do for this and other troubleshooting. If you don't have the manual, you're internet connected to post here so...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 21:33   #4

Thanks GILow, the vented loop is between the pump ( out) and the pipe into the top of the head. I did check the impeller before I reassembled everything and it looked fine. Perhaps I should replace it? I fiddled with the vented loop vent. Tried it tight, tried it loose, nothing made a difference. As I said, before I replaced the motor it had always worked perfectly? I believe I put everything back in the correct place🤞🏽
Old 09-06-2024, 04:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggatu View Post
Thanks GILow, the vented loop is between the pump ( out) and the pipe into the top of the head. I did check the impeller before I reassembled everything and it looked fine. Perhaps I should replace it? I fiddled with the vented loop vent. Tried it tight, tried it loose, nothing made a difference. As I said, before I replaced the motor it had always worked perfectly? I believe I put everything back in the correct place🤞🏽
Maybe some photos? Just to double check the connections are in the correct sequence.

Replacing the impeller at best will. Ask the problem. The system needs to work without the impeller providing the flow blockage.

Does the vented loop have one of this little rubber duckbill valves? Try removing it altogether, that should break the siphon for sure. Then at least you’ll isolate the issue.
Old 09-06-2024, 05:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

To be effective, the vented loop must be at least 6-8" above waterline AT ANY ANGLE OF HEEL, not just when the boat's at rest. On most sailboats, hat puts it 2-3 FEET above the bowl. It's typically integral to the solenoid valve.

If you don't have the installation instructions for your toilet, they're available online...I recommend that you download them.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 07:56   #7

Boat: Hunter 340

Either the breather valve on the vented loop is clogged and thus not preventing a suction or the loop is too low.

It is possible that previously the pump impeller was blocking the waterflow but that is a timebomb waiting to happen. It may block it until one day it doesn't and sinks the boat. So this happening making you aware if a good thing.

There should be an AS valve at the top of the loop possibly connected to a vent line which goes to an exterior vent. Temporarily I would remove the AS valve at the top of the loop completely. Does the water level stabilize? If so then then problem is the AS valve is bad, or clogged, or the vent line is clogged. If the problem persists even with the AS valve removed completely then likely the AS loop is too low.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 14:47   #8

Thanks GILow. So, I took the valve off one of the other toilets ( we have 3...what were we thinking!?&#128514 that I know works. Put it on the problem toilet and.......still the same ! 🤨 So only thing I can think is it's coming back in from the inlet pipe via the impeller area? See pics attached of set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1985.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	290686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1983.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	290687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1984.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	290688  
Old 10-06-2024, 03:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggatu View Post
Thanks GILow. So, I took the valve off one of the other toilets ( we have 3...what were we thinking!?&#128514 that I know works. Put it on the problem toilet and.......still the same ! 🤨 So only thing I can think is it's coming back in from the inlet pipe via the impeller area? See pics attached of set up.
Sadly the photos don’t really tell us much as there’s no indication of where he hoses lead.

Meanwhile, I suppose it is possible you are getting back flow from the holding tank (yuck!) if the joker valve is stuck. But again, that should allow, at worst, the volume of the hose to return from the tank, no more.

Those little valves are prone to salting up or being installed incorrectly. TMC put a tiny hole in one corner to align with a small pin, don’t know what Jabsco use to achieve ensure correct alignment.
Old 10-06-2024, 11:42   #10
Marine Service Provider

Paul Campagna is jabsco's toilet guru. He's a very nice very helpful guy. His direct line is 978.282.5246 IMO, it's time you gave him a call.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 02:13   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

Do you also have a holding tank?
Installed higher, above the bowl?
If you have one, check the joker valve on the hose from the bowl to this tank.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 06:34   #12

This is a common problem with these toilets and is completely unrelated to everything discussed so far.

The water feed to the head is controlled by a solenoid. You’ll find it if you trace the wires from the back of the flush switch. The solenoid plunger opens and closes a rubber/plastic valve. This gets gummed up and must be cleaned periodically as the seal is no longer intact, and water continues to enter the bowel via the seacock. If the rubber gaskets are too far gone, you’ll need to replace the unit. Not horribly expensive. Just vexing.

I’m pretty sure that Jabsco has a YouTube video that shows the whole process.
SLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 08:34   #13

Not sure what exact jabsco model this is but my 37010's instruction manual says that if the top of the bowl can be below water level at any angle of heel, you need a vented loop with solenoid on the raw water intake.

Jabsco part number 37068-2000

The solenoid is open when the flush button is not in use to empty the outboard side of the line and avoid what you're seeing.
MatF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 06:56   #14

Boat: S&S 40

The discharge hose needs an antysyphone valve as well, especially if it discharges overboard..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 08:25   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Marine toilets! #1 maintenance item on a boat

At least with 3 of them the OP has a couple installed spares!
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, toilet, water