Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 19:50   #676

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd probably just a heavy duty battery switch. I know blue sea and others make some rated as high as 600 amps continuous.
Those are great, but I hope to fine a "panic" type switch that has a big red button that can be punched or stomped in an emergency.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 19:56   #677

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

A high current solenoid like this would work. And you could use whatever switch with it (or more than 1 in different spots if needed).

https://www.bluesea.com/products/901...12_24V_DC_250A
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 00:08   #678

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

We're putting the red emergency STOP button for our electric winches, and as mentioned, the best approach is to run the circuit via a solenoid that can handle the winch current load to cut off, which the red button will activate.

The emergency STOP buttons are widely available from electrical suppliers, you just need the 5 amp ones to trigger the solenoid cut off.

I am really looking forward to seeing the results of the max holding tests.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 00:46   #679

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Ooops forgot to mention, you'll find high quality solenoids at automotive/trucking suppliers such as Cole Hersee, at more reasonable prices than marine suppliers. What's new?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 10:55   #680

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Yes, I encourage people to "customize" the ratings to suit their own needs. In fact, there is no reason not to "plug in" data from other persons tests.

Steve

A very helpful summary video.

I too, would have some misgivings around the validity of a final composite average rating number. Your current methodology gives equal weight to the value of good holding in a veer test with that of ease of galvanizing. On a dark blustery night with big wind & tide changes, I’m putting a lot more value on the veer test than the galvanizing concerns.

So, the viewer would be wise to ignore the final composite average & pay more attention to the individual characteristics of each category.

That minor quibble aside, your testing is a hugely valuable resource to the boating community.

Thanks Steve.
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 23:32   #681

Old 27-02-2021, 08:08   #682

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Wow, surprising that the Fortress had those problems. I have never used a Fortress and I had assumed that the design would yield much more similar results. But I will say I am not sure the Danforth 12H will not perform as well. My bet would still be on the Danforth. I'd be curious to see the 12H up against that same Fortress also. Now the 12S may not perform as well.
Thanks again!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:59   #683

Don,

I'll keep an eye out for a Danforth 12H. I agree, that would be an interesting test.

As to the Fortress' problems:

This morning, I reviewed the 5 year old Fortress "emergency stop" video, below. In it, the anchor set and held a very high pull at 3.5 to 1 scope. This is in stark contrast to the most recent video (above) where the anchor was near useless at 5 to 1 scope (same bottom, same rode).

The only change I can detect is the anodizing being worn away from about 25% of the fluke. 5 years ago the anchor was nearly new and had perfect anodizing. The hypothesis is that raw aluminum (having very high friction) is causing mud to adhere to, or otherwise not "slide by" the fluke.

I will soon conduct experiments with different surface treatments (polishing, silicone, paint, sand paper glued to fluke, holes in fluke, etc.).

Steve

Old 28-02-2021, 11:56   #684
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Fortress. I learned long ago that setting with mostly rope at short scope was unreliable. As Fortress says, in very soft mud it can be helpful to give it a very light set at 5:1 or even 3.5:1, just to get the fluke pointed down, but power setting is only really reliable at 10:1 or greater (you can always shorten up; with rope rode that's dead simple). Once set deep, it will hold nearly full load at 3.5 to one, no chain, something few anchors can match (but you have to set it DEEP first). This is also why it can be hard to recover. My observation is that short scope (no chain--that's fake) holding and difficult recovery come together as a pair.

Interestingly, I've tested Fortress and Guardian from 2.5 - 10 pounds in some very soft mud, and the answer always seems to be about the same; 70-90 pounds per pound of anchor. My theory is that they just keep diving until they hit something stiff enough to stop them (or to stop the rode and shank, which is the same thing at these depths).

In fine sand I stopped pulling at about 200 pounds per pound of anchor; that seemed like more than enough, and why break something? There is a practical limit to the force and anchor suitable for a given boat will ever see.

I have used Danforth anchors MANY times, but not since I started testing. I would not want to compare them from memory. I switched to Fortress when I started having terrible back problems... which with the right PT have faded into a forgotten memory (nearly 20 years ago--I was just past 40 then). Since then, just a few copies from time to time, not all of which are any good. I actually sharpened the tips and re sculpted the flanges on one to match the Fortress profile, after which it worked much better. Details matter.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:17   #685

Old 06-03-2021, 17:42   #686

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Another great video Steve! I'm excited to see the Mantus M2 results. Do you know when you'll be able to test the 45lb versions of these anchors?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 18:25   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Another great video Steve! I'm excited to see the Mantus M2 results. Do you know when you'll be able to test the 45lb versions of these anchors?
Thanks Muaddib,

I do not have an exact schedule for the 45lb'ers yet. I might get the in-water testing completed this week, but the videos wont be ready for several weeks after.

It's funny that I used the word "schedule" in the above paragraph, but more and more, that is the reality of producing these test/videos. In addition to the 45lb Mantus and Viking, I currently have tests/videos in progress for the following topics:

60lb. Fisherman
Rocna 21lb.
Mantus 17lb.
Flying Flook Anchor.
Effects of a Steel Cable Penant between anchor and chain.
Effects of surface condition/roughness on anchor performance.

In addition to those, I would like to begin testing these topics as well:

Maximum holding power for all the anchors
Kellet
Tandem "V"
Slack Rode 90 degree Veer
Hammer Lock Moor
Twin anchor in shallow "V"
Chain ONLY testing (no anchor at all)
Surging
Holding power at numerous scopes
Holding power with numerous lengths of chain
Mantus/Viking without roll bars

Steve
Old 07-03-2021, 11:00   #688

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Hi Panope. I'm curious. Are you finished with testing the Ultra anchor? I saw your video #75, but wondered if there were more tests for the ultra anchor.

Cheers, and thanks for your great videos. We sent you a little something for your efforts last month.

Paul.
Old 07-03-2021, 19:48   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Hi Panope. I'm curious. Are you finished with testing the Ultra anchor? I saw your video #75, but wondered if there were more tests for the ultra anchor.

Cheers, and thanks for your great videos. We sent you a little something for your efforts last month.

Paul.
Paul,

The 45lb. Ultra has received the same testing as the other 45lb. (range) anchors. That said, the 45lb'ers have not yet been tested in the "Loose Sand" seabed, and the "Soft Mud Veer".

In addition to #75, the Ultra appears in the following "shootout" tests/videos:

Cobblestone - #83
Soft Mud - #86
Veering - #95

Here is the Data Table for the 45 lb. (range) anchors. As can be seen by the numerous "X's", I have a bit of work to do.

Thanks a million the Donation,

Steve

Old 08-03-2021, 03:40   #690

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Thanks Panope, for the chart and the video info.

Your work on this subject is well appreciated. I think it can be safely said that your testing and presentations have become a prime resource, for those shopping for anchors, and for those of us interested in anchor performance.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
anchor