Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 18:32   #1

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41
tips for anchoring in grass

for the second time i almost lost my sailboat, were i sail we have a 1000 to 1 incline from the coast, so many times we anchor 5.5 miles offshore and we take a dinghy to go inside de mangles, this weekend when we came back to the boat (is 1 hour with my dinghy) i see my boat drifting for the second time.
When i take of the anchor were at least one foot of mud and gras over it. I cannot manage to make a safe anchoring in that place. Any tip welcome. The scope was like 12 to 1 all chain. The boat is a 41 and the anchor is a delta of i think 40 lb.
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 18:39   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: tips for anchoring in grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by captprogreso View Post
for the second time i almost lost my sailboat, were i sail we have a 1000 to 1 incline from the coast, so many times we anchor 5.5 miles offshore and we take a dinghy to go inside de mangles, this weekend when we came back to the boat (is 1 hour with my dinghy) i see my boat drifting for the second time.
When i take of the anchor were at least one foot of mud and gras over it. I cannot manage to make a safe anchoring in that place. Any tip welcome. The scope was like 12 to 1 all chain. The boat is a 41 and the anchor is a delta of i think 40 lb.
Ah, a delta dragomatic, sets about every third or fourth attempt! Time to get yourself a better anchor, check out the thread video's of anchors setting, very enlightening!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 08:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captprogreso View Post

Take a lok at this

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-213965.html

There are at least 3 or 4 anchors much better than Delta, but don't ask which is the best of all
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 08:48   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have a similar problem in one location with eel grass. I find the Rocna creates a ball due to the roll bar if it drags, then you have no chance. So I would choose something like the Spade which doesn't have a roll bar in this instance. Not cheap, but neither is a yacht and you are only buying a good anchor once.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:19   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

love love love my oversized bruce. looking for a slightly smaller one, say 20 kg. mine is 30 kg...holds most excellently in all situations i have found so far.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:28   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

My 176lb (80kg) original Bruce is sweet but in gras it needs a head start to set. The trick is to lower it by letting go the clutch completely which results in a descent like if heading for China and a big crater in the seabed. From within that crater, it sets very well.

The Delta is horrible. Replace with a Rocna/Manson of at least the same weight
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:33   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Deltas are generally not good anchors. From tests and reports they tend to set fast, but their holding power is low compared to most other options. I also think your anchor is on the small size.

So, I would get a better anchor (a new-gen version), and get the biggest one you and your boat’s systems can reasonably manage. I have a 55# Rocna on my 37-footer and when I replace it, I’ll go even larger.

One strategy I use in weeds is to allow the anchor to settle for a while before starting to set and dig it in. This better ensures it will bite into the bottom, and not get tangled in the weeds. And when digging in, I start even slower than normal, and make sure it is holding at full cruising throttle for a few minutes.
Old 28-02-2019, 09:42   #8

Boat: J/42

Grassy areas are becoming off-limits for anchoring around here for ecomological reasons. Problem solved!
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 10:16   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We have a similar problem in one location with eel grass. I find the Rocna creates a ball due to the roll bar if it drags, then you have no chance. So I would choose something like the Spade which doesn't have a roll bar in this instance. Not cheap, but neither is a yacht and you are only buying a good anchor once.

Pete
We have a Spade and while we don't get the eel grass clumping it also doesn't bite into the grassy bottom well to begin with because the point isn't as sharp as it could be. In grass we usually need to dive on it and make sure that the anchor either ends up in a previous trough or is pushed very firmly into the grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Grassy areas are becoming off-limits for anchoring around here for ecomological reasons. Problem solved!
Where is 'here'?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 11:29   #10

I like the Mantus especially for anchoring in grassy areas. It has a sharper entry-point and digs in very well
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 11:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
tips for anchoring in grass

It seems bigger anchors work better in grass.
I know my 40 kg Rocna digs in better than my 25, even though that isn’t that much difference really.

However in grass I have found that you really need to reverse hard to be sure, not so much to dig it in better, but it seems that it will break out, sometimes, even when a visual check shows it well dug in.
So I reverse hard on mine, and it seems about 50% of the time I can break it out.
So I try again until I can’t break it out, with the assumption that if I can’t break it out with the motor, it’s set.

I also think you can have too much scope on grass, keeps the anchor from trying to dig in at a steep angle, and I think it needs a steep angle or it will break out with a huge clump of grass roots on the anchor.
I think a steep angle may get the anchor below the roots.

I also think you need an anchor design that the harder you pull it, the deeper it digs, and that isn’t a plow.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 11:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
However in grass I have found that you really need to reverse hard to be sure...
This ^^^^^

Are you setting your anchor well? Or are you just dropping it and then going? If you don't set it properly, then it won't matter what sort of anchor you get.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 12:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
My 176lb (80kg) original The trick is to lower it by letting go the clutch completely which results in a descent like if heading for China and a big crater in the seabed. From within that crater, it sets very well.
HA! Never thought about creating a "Crater"

Excellent idea!
Old 28-02-2019, 12:56   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

We have heavy grass and kelp up here in the PNW. Getting thru it fast and right into the bottom is the key. If it drags or floats on top of the bed before it goes underground you may never know the fluke is fouled. Then when the wind comes up the anchor may not dive deeper or reset into the opposite direction.

Sharp, aggressive, toe weighted, no roll bar appendages to impede the initial or deep set and stays relatively clean.
This Excel works has all those features:

Protecting areas from anchor damage is coming your way or already there..
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 02 18 008.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	186816   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 02 18 018.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	186817  

Old 28-02-2019, 13:12   #15
cruiser

A grassy, muddy bottom is a challenge for all anchors and we’ve tried them all including a Rocna. Your best chance will be using an Ultra anchor or Spade. The roll bar anchors will certainly bring up a weed ball everytime and fail badly trying to reset during a current or wind direction change. Most of the plow types will probably be a great choice if farming the bottom is your goal.

Good luck.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring