Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 13:13   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

Around here the act of moving someone's boat can make you responsible.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:28   #182

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Good to know when up North. I do advocate moving things in a seamanlike manner for this reason. We don't have a harbormaster here, as the senior mooring people with the best view we wind up doing the handling and notifying. I've stopped retreiving the boat of one regular semi resident because of his attitudes and volatility. Ground tackle must be maintained but that is one boat I don't want to be responsible for....Mind you we also rescue other drifting craft and don't claim salvage. I've just been refered by the DNR to our local county representative to start the process. I've left messages so we will see. They don't really start enforcing unless there are complaints which tend to happen in the more crowded areas. Our family has a couple of moorings down but no one else is anchored out year round so we'll see if we have to incorporate or? to deal with that one. It seems difficult to set a mooring without being a land owner here.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:22   #183

I have been in the same situation. I would wait for proper wind conditions to direct boat towards an unharming another boat direction, untie boat and drift it to a safe place, use boats own anchor (providing it has one). Now you de-rigg your mooring ball from curent location, repaint mooring ball and relocate it to a new place when ready and place anything on it if you cannot place your boat on it. (I used a dinghy) If the derelict boat drifts, call and report a boat thats drifting in danger of harming other boats to pd.
cpt.Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:47   #184
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
If you give him money what's to stop him from tying your boat to the one next to it and putting his back on so you pay him more? Plus it's difficult to pay people who don't want to be known. The cops won't do anything about it, just tell you to move the boat.

You could ask the local log salvagers who's it is, they know everything about the local waters.

Not all mooring are that hard to move, I've moved a lot, you just pick them up 10 ft and tow them across the bottom.

Really once the boat is on your mooring, it's your problem. I had a guy tie an old boat to our neighbours mooring (Howe Sound, BC), then when we left for a while our neighbour tied it to ours and it took our float away (either snapped the line, or picked up the two 5 gallon pails of cement). We weren't to happy with our neighbour, but life goes on, we just put another one out.

Our neighbour had called the RCMP, they said good luck not our problem.

And this is Canada, even the expensive meds are cheap.
Because you dont give him a second time to **** ya.
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:58   #185

You guys are crazy. Setting a boat adrift is a deliberate act. If another boater hit it, you could be liable for MANSLAUGHTER. If a person parks and blocks your driveway with their car, you cannot go cut the brakes and push it into the road. but if you do, you can bet your ass you'd be liable for EVERYTHING that happened after that.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:05   #186

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Any navigation buoys nearby? Can't say I would recommend it, but around where I boat if you tie up a boat to a navigation aid and leave it the Coast Guard will be along shortly to remove it.
Old 01-02-2012, 20:09   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Any navigation buoys nearby? Can't say I would recommend it, but around where I boat if you tie up a boat to a navigation aid and leave it the Coast Guard will be along shortly to remove it.
Good - let's just make the navigation buoy unrecognizable - that is a plan.

Let's just let the police do their duty which they seem to be doing. The wild west and frontier justice are done, kaput, over ...

We, at least in Canada, live in a civilized fashion with a healthy respect for the law.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:29   #188

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Fend off a couple of railroad irons off the side off your boat and just go out & tie up to your mooring!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:51   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Fend off a couple of railroad irons off the side off your boat and just go out & tie up to your mooring!
On the frontier they would hang a man for stealing a horse, this is not much different.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 21:01   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
On the frontier they would hang a man for stealing a horse, this is not much different.
sounds like you need a new sherriff,perhaps,since you now have a free boat on your mooring you could donate it to him,once appointed by the mob!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56   #191

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

A solution is to disguise the mooring ball as something else or make it invisible.

Oddball idea, How about sink it below the surface.
This would be a flexible rubber type of ball.
Have a small bright float and an air hose and when you want to moor up, then run air down to the ball and it floats back up.
When you leave, suck the air out and it sinks.

Or a mooring which has no ball, just a float and some line attached to mooring chain and you haul this up to tie up.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11   #192
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Squatter On Your Mooring Ball ( Canada )

LOL.... this is going from bad to worse...
So far we've had sink it... set it adrift... etc, etc..... all accompanied by furtivness and fear of retribution... which to me is natural...
I'd be pretty pissed if someone did that to me.. just over a mooring ball.
I personally would either tow it with my dinghy to a reasonable outa the traffic spot and drop its hook or transfer the problem to a nearby vacant mooring...
Then face the guy when he showed... all this 'under cover of darkness' covert operation stuff is pathetic...
Sorry guys... sometimes one has to just man up and front things... even when you know your gonna get a kicking...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30   #193
CLOD

Boat: none

seems many are using this thread to be big tough talking a-hole types, you know the type that the same people normally complain about

come people, you can not go around setting boats adrift, sinkng them, lighting them on fire, etc, do you really feel that's acceptabe behavior
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45   #194

Boat: Skookum 53'

Actually, I was thinking; "Burn the offender's boat to the waterline, and kill out the whole blood line, in order to fore stay retribution." Like they used to do in the old days in Japan.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20   #195
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Actually, I was thinking; "Burn the offender's boat to the waterline, and kill out the whole blood line, in order to fore stay retribution." Like they used to do in the old days in Japan.
there's always a long lost third cousin that knows how to use a sword and wants revenge, haven't you seen the movies?

Tags
Canada, mooring