Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 14:36   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Something to Ponder If You Don't Set Your Anchor

There is an amazing amount of debris on the bottom of many anchorages in even the deserted areas I usually anchor.

In light wind the only way to test your anchor is to use the motor (or the boat's momentum and/or sails) to both set the anchor and test that it is holding. Not everyone does this, arguing that anchors set better after a rest and that the natural wind forces (as long as they don't rise too quickly) will do the job for you. There is an element of truth in this, but I often wonder how they sleep at night knowing there are things like this on the bottom that the anchor could have landed on.

It would have been much more typical if I had shown a photo of a towel, part of a torn sail or some plastic garbage, and it would have made the same point, but this was a bit more exotic and only about 10m from my anchor today. It looks like the aileron from a plane (no not MH 370 ). Probably of WWII vintage, there were a lot shot down around here. (Or it could just be a bit of garbage)

Anyway there is a lot down there that will prevent your anchor working properly. Give it a good test. Just my 2c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpg1_zps81f4d400.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	82814  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 15:04   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Something to Ponder If You Don't Set Your Anchor

You shouldn't be anchoring there anyway... That's critical queen conch habitat.

My Bruce would definitely drag.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 19:56   #3

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Use a big magnet as an anchor if there is a lot of heavy metal around.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 20:37   #4

Boat: csy 37

friends of mine anchored in nassau harbor for a few days. when they tried to pick up the anchor they couldn't. eventually discovered it was fouled around a large washing machine...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 20:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There is an amazing amount of debris on the bottom of many anchorages in even the deserted areas I usually anchor.

In light wind the only way to test your anchor is to use the motor (or the boat's momentum and/or sails) to both set the anchor and test that it is holding. Not everyone does this, arguing that anchors set better after a rest and that the natural wind forces (as long as they don't rise too quickly) will do the job for you. There is an element of truth in this, but I often wonder how they sleep at night knowing there are things like this on the bottom that the anchor could have landed on.

It would have been much more typical if I had shown a photo of a towel, part of a torn sail or some plastic garbage, and it would have made the same point, but this was a bit more exotic and only about 10m from my anchor today. It looks like the aileron from a plane (no not MH 370 ). Probably of WWII vintage, there were a lot shot down around here. (Or it could just be a bit of garbage)

Anyway there is a lot down there that will prevent your anchor working properly. Give it a good test. Just my 2c
Looks like it could be the side of a stake truck also, especially with that tire close by.

Can you imagine the fun dropping your anchor into that tire? It might set, but what a surprise when you haul it up.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:02   #6

Quote:

I would never have an anchor that I felt needed a rest in order to set properly.

I consider an anchor to sometimes need to be used in an emergency with no time for laying the chain out nicely and waiting for the anchor to gradually sink in. Then gently pulling back slowly increasing the force.

If my anchor required that treatment.... I would replace it.

Decide on the spot and dump it, and dump some chain without caring if some is on top of it, then slightly tighten the clutch and either allow wind if strong enough or the engine to drag out the rest. Snub it off and give it a pull on the motor increasing the revs over 2 mins to 75% by which time it better be holding steady as a rock.

And it better do this every time , if not I would expect there to be a real good reason, like flat rock for example.

Otherwise you can never sleep in 35kts of wind or leave your boat unattended for a day or so.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:08   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

what's the name of this perfect anchor?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:12   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
...Anyway there is a lot down there that will prevent your anchor working properly...
It works the other way, too.

I dropped my anchor in about 30' and backed in the the quay at the St Georges Dinghy and Sports Club in Bermuda. After about a week I went to pull it up and it wouldn't budge, no matter how hard I tried to break it free. One of our friends on another boat put on his SCUBA gear and went to to free it for me. It was securely snagged on a big section of steel pipe!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
what's the name of this perfect anchor?

Most of the new generation ones would do that if sized right I think.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:19   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Most of the new generation ones would do that if sized right I think.
well mine NG anchor is oversized and it isn't as prefect as your requirements so I thought maybe you have a special one to share with us
Old 11-06-2014, 11:29   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You wouldn't believe the number of smaller anchors I salvage from wrecks and bridge spans meant to be dive sites and fish habitats.
You get a good set on an old sunk tug boat, it ain't coming up
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
well mine NG anchor is oversized and it isn't as prefect as your requirements so I thought maybe you have a special one to share with us

You didn't specify what is not so perfect....maybe you just need to oversize it a bit more or use more scope.

As I said, you have to believe it's going to hold in an emergency. That would not be a nice to have would it.... It's more the minimum requirement.
Old 11-06-2014, 13:01   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

So what do you do with an all chain rode if you get it stuck on a immovable object. Do you dump the whole chain or cut it some how?
Old 11-06-2014, 13:27   #14
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
You didn't specify what is not so perfect....maybe you just need to oversize it a bit more or use more scope.

As I said, you have to believe it's going to hold in an emergency. That would not be a nice to have would it.... It's more the minimum requirement.
my anchor works just fine, but not as perfect as as you expect of one
Old 11-06-2014, 14:39   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
So what do you do with an all chain rode if you get it stuck on a immovable object. Do you dump the whole chain or cut it some how?
There are a lot of techniques for freeing a stuck anchor, but if you have tried them all what is left is to buoy the whole rode and hope you can get a diver, or cut your losses literally.

Even with all chain rode the bitter end should be attached to the boat by rope in such a way that you can reach this and quickly cut and dump the rode in an emergency.

If the anchor is caught and you decide to cut the rode rather than getting a diver it is not usually an urgent emergency requiring cutting the bitter end. The sensible procedure is too save as much chain as you can.

Chain cuts quite easily with some BIG bolt cutters or a hacksaw. Even a junior hacksaw will cut through chain in a few mins. (Try not to get the steel shavings on the deck. Even tiny spots will rust)
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor