Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 18:29   #1

Selecting anchor chain

Ahoy Folks,

I've settled on a rope and chain combination for my ground tackle. I have a Bristol 24, relatively heavy boat for its size.

My boat doesn't have a windlass, and probably won't for the near future. I understand that BBB & G4 chain is compatible with a windlass. Some How-to's online ( as well as another sailor I know) said to use Proof Coil chain if not using a windlass.

Will 3/8 inch, 3-strand nylon rope NOT splice properly to BBB or G4? I thought to buy those chains, as they seemed stronger (and more expensive, i.e. better?)...maybe I'm wrong there.

I'm happy to use the proof coil, as it's cheaper, but I'm not trying to skimp on price. I want the best chain for my intended purposes.

Thanks heaps for your suggestions & clarifications!
Old 21-03-2016, 18:54   #2

Re: Selecting anchor chain

Three strand will spice fine to either chain. G4 is stronger than BBB for a given size of chain. You can often get away with a size smaller if using the G4. If you can, it is often cheaper than the BBB.

For example, at 1st chain supply:

1/4 inch G4 is 5.54/ft with 2,600 WLL
3/8 BBB is 7.58/ft with 2,650 WLL

For the same WLL, the G4 is cheaper and much lighter (73 lbs vs. 162 lbs).

Since you will be retrieving by hand, I would go for the G4.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 20:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Doubt that anyone with a 24' boat would ever consider using 3/8" chain. Even though the BBB chain has the same working load as the smaller diameter G4, it's grossly heavier and would over weight the bow. If you don't believe the weight of the chain has any effect on catenary in poor conditions or any conditions for that matter, going with a smaller diameter G40 or even stronger chain has some merit.

With a 24' boat, 1/4" BBB would probably more than adequate. Whether you spend more for higher grade chain is really between you and your wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Three strand will spice fine to either chain. G4 is stronger than BBB for a given size of chain. You can often get away with a size smaller if using the G4. If you can, it is often cheaper than the BBB.

For example, at 1st chain supply:

1/4 inch G4 is 5.54/ft with 2,600 WLL
3/8 BBB is 7.58/ft with 2,650 WLL

For the same WLL, the G4 is cheaper and much lighter (73 lbs vs. 162 lbs).

Since you will be retrieving by hand, I would go for the G4.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 22:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I agree that 3/8" is big, but remember your anchoring system needs to stop and hold your boat in any sea condition in an emergency.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 23:43   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I agree that 3/8" is big, but remember your anchoring system needs to stop and hold your boat in any sea condition in an emergency.
So, do you have 1 inch chain on your large m/v? It must stop and hold your boat in any sea condition in an emergency, after all!

IMO, 3/8 chain is gross oversize for his boat.

Jim
Old 22-03-2016, 06:46   #6

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

On our heavy 25'7" power cruiser, we have 44 feet of 1/4" G4 (HT) chain, spliced to 300 feet of 1/2" three-strand nylon. A zillion no-problem overnight anchorings on the Inside Passage, in winds to 45 knots.

I would suggest something like that (or maybe you don't need that length of nylon, for where you will be anchoring).

7/16 nylon would be OK, but 3/8 is pretty skinny for your hand, and probably not robust enough over the long haul.

If your rode locker is small, you might consider 8-plait rather than three-strand to fit in more rope.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 07:02   #7

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going with approx 30 ft of chain, 270 ft of rope. I wasn't quite questioning the size of chain rather the grade to use. I am thinking 1/4" G4 will be sufficient.

Now I can't decide between 3/8" or 1/2" for my line.....I might do 1/2" just to sleep better (already worried about it when I'm asleep in my warm bed on land, and the boat's on dry dock---can only imagine the worries when I'm about to turn in for the night on the boat).
Old 22-03-2016, 07:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I didn't have a windlass for over a year, and I'm a little heavier boat with at the time 3/8" chain for 40' or so.
Took me a year before one day I realized I could use my sheet winch on the nylon part of the rode if it got tough to weigh anchor, like high winds.
I'm not very smart I know obvious things escape me, but your size boat, you may not need a windlass, ever.

Oh, and should you ever need that sheet winch, I think the 8 plait would work lots better.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 07:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinghydreams View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going with approx 30 ft of chain, 270 ft of rope. I wasn't quite questioning the size of chain rather the grade to use. I am thinking 1/4" G4 will be sufficient.

Now I can't decide between 3/8" or 1/2" for my line.....I might do 1/2" just to sleep better (already worried about it when I'm asleep in my warm bed on land, and the boat's on dry dock---can only imagine the worries when I'm about to turn in for the night on the boat).
270 feet of 1/2 inch three stand takes a lot of room. Not sure it will fit in your locker.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 11:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
270 feet of 1/2 inch three stand takes a lot of room. Not sure it will fit in your locker.
*****, didn't quite think about that. . .
Old 22-03-2016, 12:10   #11
cruiser

I had 2ton boat kinda size yours once..

My tackle was a little diff. I inherited 60 foot of 3/8 BBB and boat came with a 500ft spoil of 1/2 three strand line.

made two lengths of 30 foot outta the chain, and had a friend spice 120ft of 1/2 line to each and a thimble on the other end, making twin 30 ft BBB chain on 120ft line tackle systems.

Vessel didn't have a anchor locker so I used five gallon buckets, made them manageable thru the v-birth hatch.

Never anchored that boat in water deeper than 40 feet though I did carry the 150ft (which I had thimbles on each end as well) so as to be able shackle it on one or both lines if I ever took that boat in deep water which I never did, I always had one foot ashore in that boat, hobby horse too bad if you weren't lashed down with a harness it would throw you outta the cockpit in anything past small craft advisory..

I'm kinda firm believer in redundancy/double ground tackle systems unless you're running chain right to the bow and/or not leaving the boat while anchored so as you are available to tend to business should you slide an anchor or like in Florida someone runs over/cuts your line/s and sets you adrift (very common occurrence in Florida, some do it just for amusement if not to instigate a reason to lay claim to your boat)
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:41   #12

As a significant portion of so called 'calibrated' chain from chandlers is fake (and poorly galvanised), how about some genuine American properly hot dipped galvanised HT chain?

Grade 43 Hot Dipped Galvanized Finish - tulsa chain low carbon chain

Scroll down to the bottom for the bucket of Grade 43 1/4" 2,600lb WLL . . . . (works out at $1.99 a foot). A 400ft half drum works out at $1.35 a foot.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 12:53   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go G4 8mm (5/16) chain and a rope that is easy to handle - in our case it is 16 mm (3/8) multiplait. I do not use nylon.

Undersize chain and rope are hard to handle when under load.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 13:06   #14

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinghydreams View Post
*****, didn't quite think about that. . .

Try the 8 plait. It falls on itself nicely and takes up less room. Defender sells a 30 ft 1/4 G4 spliced to 1/2 8 plait. It doesn't cost much more to buy it pre spliced.

8 plait is easier on the hands too.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 13:48   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

My reflections, not to affect your buying process, just to share my experience:

- our boat is 26' and 4000 lbs empty, NO anchor winch,
- we were on 10 mm chain and 16 mm polyester multiplait,
- we upgraded to 8 mm chain and 16 mm polyester mp,

I can handle both 10 and 8 mm chain easily and I find 8 mm easier to handle - nearly as easy to grip and hold as 10 mm but way easier to manage on the deck, and organize in locker. It is also lighter and so we can anchor deeper (now on 30 meters / 100 ft of chain). And I would not use smaller dia chain. I feel 8 is the minimum to grip securely.

Our other anchor was on 14mm three strand and it was good and easy to handle too. But the mp rope does not kink nor tangle. The 3-strand does.

We have some 150+ ft of the rope. No splice, just a thimble and a shackle.

There are countless ways to address the same problem so think about what will work for your boat and your strength, fitness level, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor