Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 17:14   #1

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer
Too much oil in my windlass - is that a problem?

Belatedly I read the oil capacity guide for my Lofrans Tigres, and realized I added a quart of oil instead of the recommended 0.5 liter. Still, after adding the quart I could not see the oil level in the windlass. No oil is leaking. Do I really need to drain half the oil? What will happen with too much oil?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 08:55   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Too much oil in my windlass - is that a problem?

Get in touch with the US distributors, IMTRA, in Florida and ask them. They have very good customer service from all reports.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:12   #3

Too much oil in my windlass - is that a problem?

Thanks for the advice. Already heading down that road. Sometimes the official word and the reality of a thing are different.

When I think about how the oil in the windlass works, where the sight glass is, etc., I feel rather foolish. But at least I can feel foolish over a small thing, vs something more catastrophic.

Old 27-03-2016, 15:32   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

First of all, it doesn't sound foolish at all. Second, if it were, I would rejoice if that is the most foolish thing that I have done on my boat. I bet you are only one of hundreds who have done this, and worse. I don't think IMTRA will give you the "official" word but rather a very practical word.

You might try fishing a suction tube (like for sucking out oil in transmissions that many of us have) down in there and getting some out. Don't know that it would work but it might.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:51   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I did the same thing to my Lofrans Tigres windlass. I used a manual oil extraction pump to remove the excess. The manual for the windlass said not to over fill but didn't say what damage would happen if over filled.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
First of all, it doesn't sound foolish at all. Second, if it were, I would rejoice if that is the most foolish thing that I have done on my boat. I bet you are only one of hundreds who have done this, and worse. I don't think IMTRA will give you the "official" word but rather a very practical word.

You might try fishing a suction tube (like for sucking out oil in transmissions that many of us have) down in there and getting some out. Don't know that it would work but it might.

Yes, I hope that is as bad as it gets! Probably not...

I have purchased just such a pump for my ATF, so I will get some practice it seems. I will call tomorrow however, I have other windlass questions.

Old 27-03-2016, 15:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I did the same thing to my Lofrans Tigres windlass. I used a manual oil extraction pump to remove the excess. The manual for the windlass said not to over fill but didn't say what damage would happen if over filled.

S/V B'Shert

I'm guessing it may just make a mess? Or leak into the motor? Who knows. I'll report back after I speak with them.

Old 28-03-2016, 22:06   #8

No surprise, they suggest draining and filling with the proper amount of oil. The concern with too much oil is the possibility of blowing a seal.

Old 29-03-2016, 00:17   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
No surprise, they suggest draining and filling with the proper amount of oil. The concern with too much oil is the possibility of blowing a seal.

Yes, that would be the most likely danger; blowing a seal I mean. And it's ironic, but many (smart) people cannot understand such a danger if they overfill (or contemplated doing so) their car's engine with oil.
But... "Common sense is not so common", said Thomas Payne.

As to the windlass, & for other things mechanical & hydraulic onboard. It's wise to keep a few buckets of sand, or cat litter on hand, in case of ust such a spill.
For if you've ever blown a seal in an on deck hydraulic system, it's something you'll Never forget. Though you'll wish that you could.
It's a Freddy Kruger, Nightmare Extraordinaire!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 02:59   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Yes, that would be the most likely danger; blowing a seal I mean. And it's ironic, but many (smart) people cannot understand such a danger if they overfill (or contemplated doing so) their car's engine with oil.
But... "Common sense is not so common", said Thomas Payne.

As to the windlass, & for other things mechanical & hydraulic onboard. It's wise to keep a few buckets of sand, or cat litter on hand, in case of ust such a spill.
For if you've ever blown a seal in an on deck hydraulic system, it's something you'll Never forget. Though you'll wish that you could.
It's a Freddy Kruger, Nightmare Extraordinaire!
All true, but this is a simple manual windllass. hard to see how one could build up much pressure in the housing from normal windlass activities. If the case was filled chockers when cold, and then allowed to get hot, well perhaps then one could build up some pressure. But just cranking in the anchor... if there is even a little air space, I find disaster hard to imagine!

Jim
Old 29-03-2016, 04:54   #11

Jim, I agree with you. However I have been surprised about how many things I don't know on this boat, but thought I did. Ah well, it seems a little thing to me now, "there is plenty of air in there!", but I think I'll extract a bit of oil just the same. Just as soon as I can get a tube small enough to fit through the ½" opening, and large enough to clamp into my hand pump.

Old 29-03-2016, 06:24   #12

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
All true, but this is a simple manual windllass. hard to see how one could build up much pressure in the housing from normal windlass activities. If the case was filled chockers when cold, and then allowed to get hot, well perhaps then one could build up some pressure. But just cranking in the anchor... if there is even a little air space, I find disaster hard to imagine!

Jim
I believe it's an electric windlass, not manual.

Hence, it most likely uses the splash lubrication method, i.e., gears get bathed with oil as they turn.

Depending on design, it's possible the motor seal may be above the oil line and not capable of holding oil under pressure, designed to only prevent splashing oil from getting thru to the motor.

As you say, under normal activities, there is most likely no harm. But we all know when the %#$ hits the fan at 2am and you've dragged half way across the anchorage in a 50kt blow, using/needing a reliable windlass, is when the oil will slip past the seal and cause the motor to stop.

Maintain it per spec. to prevent things happening at the worse possible time. Draining the oil and refilling to spec. seems like an easy task (you can even reuse the same oil!).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 08:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I believe it's an electric windlass, not manual.

Hence, it most likely uses the splash lubrication method, i.e., gears get bathed with oil as they turn.

Depending on design, it's possible the motor seal may be above the oil line and not capable of holding oil under pressure, designed to only prevent splashing oil from getting thru to the motor.

As you say, under normal activities, there is most likely no harm. But we all know when the %#$ hits the fan at 2am and you've dragged half way across the anchorage in a 50kt blow, using/needing a reliable windlass, is when the oil will slip past the seal and cause the motor to stop.

Maintain it per spec. to prevent things happening at the worse possible time. Draining the oil and refilling to spec. seems like an easy task (you can even reuse the same oil!).

Yes it is an electric. Until the motor fails.

More benefits to doing it right: 1) I'll learn how it works at the dock close to stores and services, 2) I'll get a close look at the oil to look for water and particles. All good!

Thanks gains everyone!

Old 29-03-2016, 09:02   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
Yes it is an electric. Until the motor fails.

More benefits to doing it right: 1) I'll learn how it works at the dock close to stores and services, 2) I'll get a close look at the oil to look for water and particles. All good!

Thanks gains everyone!

Give a shout if you need to bum a pump that will work/have the right hose.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 09:16   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

The manual oil change pump from West Marine came with several plastic hoses to adapt to different size access points. The smallest one worked for removing oil from my Lofrans Tigres windlass.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, wind, windlass