Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 06:50   #46
cruiser

Re: "Sailing" on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
I agree with Snow Petrel, one does not what wind against tide anchoring situ's. And tethering a second snubber deeper down the chain and right back to the headsail winches works well to stop the dancing.

What size is your chain? No wonder it is straight out in that wind strength, not strong for you to lose your catenary. I have a short amount 3/8" even on my 12" tinnie tender.

Keep on sailing,
Peter.
200 ft of 1/2 inch chain out in 12ft depth.

I must have done something right since I was the only one besides the catamaran tied to the beach who didn't end up on the rocks like the 90ft Swan.

But again.... What do I know compared to an internet expert?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:15   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
1/2 inch chain. I must have done something right since I was the only one besides the catamaran tied to the beach who didn't end up on the rocks like the 90ft Swan.

But again.... What do I know?
Sorry Ken, like most vid's the wind must be stronger than it looks. I been cruising and living on the anchor, on and off for 35 years, back on now and the 43" and it came with four anchors and a mile of 3/8" chain and rode and have already dragged twice with its 60lb Manson Supreme so upping to 1/2" is the order, like on the last mono I owned (SS43" Huon Pine) and lived on for ten years never dragging once, in some extreme conditions , Qld cyclone at 85 Knts. Don't want to that one again.

Sounds like you are having a great time, So "Keep on Sailing"

Cheers, Peter.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:29   #48

Quote:

I must have done something right since I was the only one besides the catamaran tied to the beach who didn't end up on the rocks like the 90ft Swan.

Whoops! One thing I forgot to say. "One thing I am definitely not is a internet expert. I would not get anywhere on it with out my daughters help, truly a newbie in here.

All the excitement has gone out of sailing now, replaced by GPS.

Keep on sailing,

Peter.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:48   #49

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

I usually deploy a kellet on a messenger along the anchor line. This serves both the purpose of lowering the anchor line's pull on the anchor and damping the lateral sailing. My kellet consists of two steel (iron) 13 pound window weights coated with epoxy, which is good for my 7700# sloop. Regarding anchoring by the stern, in a moderate wind (not anchored), point your bow downwind, and run the engine in reverse at low speed (about idle speed). You'll be surprised at the stability.
Fair winds and quiet neighbors.
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:55   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

When I'm at anchor or on a mooring I just swing ................... you should try it
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56   #51

Boat: Catalina 470

Freeforms mast being a cat rig is along way forward plus the self tacking jib rolls up on its camber spar thus alot of windage forward. The mast being free standing is a large diameter as well. Due to this freeform wanders all over at anchor regardless of how much chain etc is out.
Theres a reason arrows have their feathers at the back.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473691951748.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	131028  
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:00   #52

Boat: Catalina 30

If you run an additional snubber to a fair lead or winch 2/3 of the way down one side and trim the boat to hold to one side, how much does that increase the load on the ground tackle? Wouldn't that cause a lot of extra strain on everything as you just increased your windage, instead of having it be stream lined?

Just curious.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:19   #53

Boat: Sunbeam 44
"Sailing" on the hook

Quote:
Been there, done that, sailed in anchorages hundreds of times.... No big deal, and it doesn't increase the load on the anchor. It just makes a small amount of your chain drag back and forth. The weight of the chain absorbs any sailing force. Unless someone's using an all rope rode.

Well, I have to disagree also - from real life experience - most of the time I have dragged was when my boat sheered and eventually broke the anchor out. I have sat on anchor watch and watched as it sheered from side to side - I have seen it sheer to max then when I have max windage fwd, watch the boat stall then drag the anchor out. Not every boat acts the same - so blanket statements don't wash. A Croatian bora, bad holding ground, on a cc yacht don't you know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:31   #54
CLOD

Boat: none

seems spinning a story equaling normal sailing back and forth on anchor and dragging during conditions that called for an anchor watch as "reaching" to win a useless argument
Old 12-09-2016, 08:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
If you run an additional snubber to a fair lead or winch 2/3 of the way down one side and trim the boat to hold to one side, how much does that increase the load on the ground tackle? Wouldn't that cause a lot of extra strain on everything as you just increased your windage, instead of having it be stream lined?

Just curious.
Wind against tide causes most sailing on the anchor and using the cocked idea does not work in all situ's sometimes the tide over rides the wind but at times when the wind is up a boat especially the S&S43" 7'1"draft, full keeler I use to own would race from side to side with a huge snig on the anchor each time shuddering right through the boat. There is also a bit of f-ing around like which side and how long to let the cocking snubber out, but a huge reduction in violent snigging on the gear, (and I needed my sleep in those days having to go to work in the morning). I'd be out of alignment with the tide change, still cocked but an easy remedy.

Keep on sailing,
Peter.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Whoops! One thing I forgot to say. "One thing I am definitely not is a internet expert. I would not get anywhere on it with out my daughters help, truly a newbie in here.

Keep on sailing,

Peter.
Sorry about the "internet expert" jab. We get lots of it here on this forum.

Cheers

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25   #57

Boat: Sunbeam 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
seems spinning a story equaling normal sailing back and forth on anchor and dragging during conditions that called for an anchor watch as "reaching" to win a useless argument
You obviously didn't watch the earlier video!

but ... fair comment regarding the situation ..... i tend to nervously watch when i see the boat sailing back and forth i.e... sheering from side to side. Maybe earlier than most ... I am not "reaching" for anything .... I just wish i just faced into the windage like all the other aft cockpit's. Now have a riding sail of sorts and bigger ground tackle....

ps.. are you the internet expert ?
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:46   #58

Quote:

Keep on sailing,

Peter.
I for one am glad of GPS. Some of the old excitement was no fun; dangerous as well. Up here in Maine, a gps/radar combi makes navigating in thick fog a cake walk. No longer having to outrace fog banks is a wonderful luxury.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 14:45   #59

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Yeah you're right, what do I know about sailing in an anchorage? If you like, I can also show you before and after underwater pictures of what the anchor set and anchor chain patterns looked like before and after this windy morning. But then again... What do I know?

Shot this last season:

https://youtu.be/uJSpMtc8SrU if you want to see some real wind at anchor skip to 2:20 logged at over 90 knots average by a nearby 1km away weather station. I think you need to get your windspeed indicator calibrated properly. I have seen a few of your videos where you claim strong winds that are obviously only the peak gusts not the ten or even the 3 minute average, a common novice mistake.

Quote:

Have a good hard look at your post count before you start calling other people internet experts...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-09-2016, 17:56   #60

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
"Sailing" on the hook

Quote:
Your Swanny will sail on the anchor in a channel or river with strong wind against tide, but not as bad as a long keeler. Cruised in company with one in the late eighties, with more crap on the stern and danced together in a few anchorages until I learnt how to cock the boat to the wind with two snubbers.

Keep on sailing,

Peter.
Edit: oh, I see, yes when wind and current are against each other she will move around. But surely just about any boat is going to do that at some given relationship between wind and current.

I thought this was about the effect of wind on the boat at anchor. I regularly anchor under the breakwater at outer harbour where there is no measurable current, and in those conditions we point steady as a rock to the wind in all conditions I have anchored in so far. That's from calm to about 25 knots.

Ignore from here on down.

Weird. Has not done it to me yet. American river has a VERY strong current, she was steady as a rock. The only problems I had with movement was when I was caught down there in a strong northerly, 30 knots or so, and when the current and wind were at odds with one another we moved around a bit. Was it a 42 or a 38 you were travelling with? They look very similar from the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
sail, sailing