Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 18:56   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Rocna Anchor Sizing Aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
I am now looking forward to going to a few of those places and trying out the Rocna, especially since those anchorages tend to be less crowded because of the poorer holding.
It's been two years... what do you think of the 55lb Rocna now for your 37' boat?

I currently have a properly sized 35lb Manson Supreme, but as we are going cruising down to the Caribbean this year, I want an anchor I never have to worry about. I'm paranoid now leaving the boat for an hour with the 35lb (it has never dragged), that I just ordered a 55lb Rocna as it's replacement. I'm not sure if I went too far.
Old 23-03-2012, 19:30   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We are cruising the Caribbean extensively, have anchored in Ilha Dos Lencois Brazil where we had a 5 knot current in the river, Anchored in severe weather in South Africa (Cape Town), we live onboard for now as we are sailing full time ... my Chinese Rocna 33 kg on a Lagoon 440 has been floorless except in hard slate conditions where I seriously doubt any anchor would penetrate. The ONLY other anchor that has impressed me, was what I tested at the Miami Boat Show and had an edge over Rocna ... the ULTRA range ... only in stainless steel and very expensive though! My Rocna is great and I am pleased to have replaced my previous anchor with it
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 19:32   #33

Oh ... and before I forget, my pal who is also cruising the Caribbean anchored near us in many conditions where he dragged plenty of times ... just bought the same Rocna as mine ... says it has been AMAZING and his boat sits solidly fixed in one position every time since he has replaced it. He also has a lagoon 440 called Champollion
Old 24-03-2012, 07:06   #34

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It's been two years... what do you think of the 55lb Rocna now for your 37' boat?
I have been extremely pleased with the anchor and it has not faltered once. Perhaps the best example is we anchored in a channel in south Puget Sound (between Hope Island and Squaxin Island) for a long weekend, and with each tide change experienced currents of almost 4 knots from completely opposite directions. The boat would "sail" upcurrent (it has a long fin keel) until the rode was bar-tight and extending out almost 90 degrees to the side of the bow roller and then hold this position for hours. It put considerable and continuous pressure on the anchor, I could almost walk on the rode it was so taught. It did this four times a day for the four days we were there for a total of approximately 13 direction changes and resets. I was pretty nervous the first couple of days, if it wasn't for the anchor watch on the Maretron display and my cell phone I probably would have had to move because I wouldn't have slept. The Rocna reset every tide change with no problems and we got so comfortable with it that on the third day we left the boat to go explore Hope Island for a few hours.

One other observation, the Rocna seems to penetrate vegetation pretty well as we have anchored several times in places where our friends using a Bruce on a Catalina 42 simply cannot get their anchor to grab. The area has some pretty dense rubbery brown vegetation (I believe a combination of Palm Kelp and California Rose Seaweed) and our Rocna has had no problem getting through it every time. We have never failed to set anchor on the first try whereas our friends have had to move to a different area in order to anchor all but one of their attempts in that spot.

I do get a few raised eyebrows and comments from folks when they see the size of the anchor on the bow, and most criusers say something to the effect of "you must sleep well with that!" and I always reply with an emphatic YES! It fits perfectly on the bow of our Tartan, I couldn't go any larger (nor do I want to), and after using it for a while suspect I would be happy with the 20KG Rocna recommends for our boat. But I have to say, having the extra surface area on the larger anchor definitely helps me sleep at night, especially after seeing it work so well for that extended weekend of tide changes.

Hope this helps...
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:15   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
Hope this helps...

It sure does

My man goal was to have an anchor that will allow me to sleep at night and leave the boat unattended without raising my blood pressure too much. This is one area with the boat that cost is not an issue ($150 more for the 25kg vs the 20kg)... I'm now just wondering if 25kg is too much for our 7 ton 34' boat? I can't see the 11 pounds being much of a difference on the bow of the boat (or pulling in the anchor), and I'll be pulling it from the bow for any offshore adventures... a Fortress will take its place.
Old 24-03-2012, 08:44   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

It will be the best 11 pounds you have on the boat
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 09:44   #37

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive never owned a New Style Anchor of any brand. But I know from Yrs of anchoring in many different conditions and bottoms, bigger is better !! If ya can lift it ! and it don't lower your water line much! Its not to big !! If the 5 kilo bigger anchor lets ya sleep at night then it's the right anchor for ya !! I have been watching the posts on here and other sites about the new style anchors and Intend to try a Manson on my next boat ! and will carry my old favorite Danforth as a second anchor just in Case LOL see even us old guys can try new stuff !!!
Old 24-03-2012, 09:57   #38

Boat: Ohlson 38

We just traded in our 33lb Rocna for a 45lb Manson. The Manson looks ridiculously large sitting on top of our bowsprit. (on the hard)

We'll sleep well at night but the other kids are still gonna laugh!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 10:06   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
We just traded in our 33lb Rocna for a 45lb Manson. The Manson looks ridiculously large sitting on top of our bowsprit. (on the hard)

We'll sleep well at night but the other kids are still gonna laugh!
Laughing at an anchor is good
People seem to get very concerned about minor changes in anchor weight and forget most of the weight is in the chain. I just switched from 13 mm Chain to 10 mm G7 and saved 200 kg.
Upsizing the anchor by a couple of sizes does not have much impact on the total weight of the anchoring gear for most crusing boats.
Old 24-03-2012, 10:36   #40

Boat: PETERSON 44
It's a combination of things that will help. Adequate size and length of chain technique I evolved. Went from 5/16 Chain to 3/8. Went to a plaited line from 3 strand. Have a Manson as primary and Bruce 2nd with a fx on the stern rail.it's the whole system that works together. The swamp I evolved from. My lawn ornaments are a 70 lb Luke a 35 lb fishermen a 60 lb cqr and a 40 lb Danforth. I use the danforth in named storms in my home port. The Luke I might take to Maine with me. Anyone want a lawn ornament.
Weight is good surface area better. What is the increase in surface are between the 2 anchors your looking at?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 20:47   #41

Everytime we drop anchor, I dive on it ... gives me peace of mind at night for sure. The only thing I can say I sometimes question in my mind (based on visual ... I have tanks onboard and have watched the anchor at work for long periods of time) with having gone upsize on our Rocna ... she doesnt dig in as deep in grass on the seabed ... I am guessing a smaller Rocna would have penetrated deeper on the flank.... anyway, she still holds solidly, but it is something I have thought about! My advice is not to go TOO big for your boat weight ... we went one size up on what all the charts recomended
Old 24-03-2012, 21:11   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Weight is good surface area better. What is the increase in surface are between the 2 anchors your looking at?
I'm going from about a 160in (35 pound Manson) to 219in (55lb Rocna). The 45 pound is 177in.
Old 24-03-2012, 21:11   #43

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I had whipped this up when I was researching anchors and until now nobody had asked so I didn't post it. This should answer your question...

Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 22:29   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Everytime we drop anchor, I dive on it ... gives me peace of mind at night for sure. The only thing I can say I sometimes question in my mind (based on visual ... I have tanks onboard and have watched the anchor at work for long periods of time) with having gone upsize on our Rocna ... she doesnt dig in as deep in grass on the seabed ... I am guessing a smaller Rocna would have penetrated deeper on the flank.... anyway, she still holds solidly, but it is something I have thought about! My advice is not to go TOO big for your boat weight ... we went one size up on what all the charts recomended
If the wind picks up it will set deeper. If you are concerned set it a bit harder, we increase the revs in reverse and end with full reverse for at least 15 seconds.
Bigger will always hold better. It is also a big help in penetrating weed. The weed does not change size. A weed root that is a significant obstruction to a 5 lb anchor is less of a challenge to 100lb anchor.
Old 24-03-2012, 23:06   #45

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156

I had whipped this up when I was researching anchors and until now nobody had asked so I didn't post it. This should answer your question...
Nice job Thanks
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor