Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 21:37   #1

Boat: 1984 CS 36
5/16" BBB - rare?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a new gypsy for the windlass we have, and went to the local chandlery to get the part. I told the guy that we have 5/16" BBB and I want a gypsy to match.

He looked at me quizzically and said "Are you sure?" - then he looked in his catalog and told me that Lewmar doesn't stock gypsy's for that chain size in the US because it was so rare - he asked if I bought the boat out of the States (which I didn't).

I got home and checked Defender - about three seconds of searching and I found a gypsy for our windlass that is sized for 5/16" (doesn't specify BBB vs. high test).

Here's the trick - the boat's in New Zealand now, and I can't check the chain size. I was so sure, I didn't even bother to double check before we left. I'd have no doubt in my mind if that guy had just said "sure" and ordered the part I found online.

But now I'm second guessing myself - is there a size difference between BBB and high test? I feel like lots of boats our size have 5/16" BBB...

Am I crazy? Is 5/16" BBB a rare size chain?
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 04:26   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: 5/16" BBB - rare?

The manual for my windlass says it works with 5/16" BBB (G3) or G4 chain. BBB used to be more common but most people I think are using the stronger G4 now.

So should be same gypsy.