Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 16:20   #61

Boat: Beneteau 393
I was 110% sure I was going to buy a Manson Supreme, but now WM is selling the rocna for cheaper (you can but a 55 lb rocna for almost the same as a 44 lb MS), and the new owners of rocna now give a lifetime warranty against bending or distortions. What to do....
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 16:48   #62

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Rocna Anchor Sizing Aids

Here's a photo of my new 55lb on the bow of a 34er.

Old 15-04-2012, 18:00   #63

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Hi VB,
The crappy welding on the Manson? Why did you trade for your Rocca.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 18:34   #64

FunJ,

That is a big anchor fro a 34, did you need to do modifications to your boat to fit it? How about your windless?
Old 16-04-2012, 18:17   #65

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
FunJ,

That is a big anchor fro a 34, did you need to do modifications to your boat to fit it? How about your windless?
Big anchor?.... it's huge! I really want to sleep well at night

The stock bow roller fit the Rocna just fine. I was bit worried it wouldn't, but it fits with room to spare. Maybe i'll have to go larger

Our Lewmar Concept One windlass should handle it fine. I anchored with the 35lb Manson and all chain rode before... whats an extra 20lbs? We just know to use the engine to pull up to the anchor and not to let the windlass pull the boat.
Old 16-04-2012, 19:38   #66

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Hi VB,
The crappy welding on the Manson? Why did you trade for your Rocca.
My Rocna performed flawlessly for the five months I lived at anchor last year (including during Hurricane Irene). I've got no beef with the design, however, the recent disclosure of evidence regarding the sub-standard quality of steel used and Rocna management's lack of integrity when confronted with the evidence, I have lost faith in the quality of the anchor. Everytime I looked at my Rocna I was reminded of sleaze, lies and deceit so I decided to trade the Rocna for a comparable Manson. The next closest in size to my 33lb Rocna (without going down) is the 45lB Manson.

I had to wait for West Marine to deliver it and when I got it home is when I saw the horrible welds. I haven't decided what to do yet. I don't know if this is typical of Manson or if they had a new guy working on my anchor.

Eric
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 21:03   #67

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
My Rocna performed flawlessly for the five months I lived at anchor last year (including during Hurricane Irene). I've got no beef with the design, however, the recent disclosure of evidence regarding the sub-standard quality of steel used and Rocna management's lack of integrity when confronted with the evidence, I have lost faith in the quality of the anchor. Everytime I looked at my Rocna I was reminded of sleaze, lies and deceit so I decided to trade the Rocna for a comparable Manson. The next closest in size to my 33lb Rocna (without going down) is the 45lB Manson.

I had to wait for West Marine to deliver it and when I got it home is when I saw the horrible welds. I haven't decided what to do yet. I don't know if this is typical of Manson or if they had a new guy working on my anchor.

Eric
Google NZSleepouts and decide if a career criminal that sought to destroy Rocna merits further attention. The substandard steel was ordered by GK. His stories on the web ( under many aliases) further perpetrated the demise of Rocna until it was sold.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 23:47   #68

tried to follow this sleep out thing but got lost. I take it he had something to do with Rocna and the poor steel from China.

So Vb I you have 2 highly rated anchors, which may or may not be up for the job.
I was looking at tests and found one that had the fortress being proclaimed the king?
Old 17-04-2012, 00:34   #69

Boat: Lagoon 440

The variables of anchoring:-
Boat loading (windage, tonnage, current)
Substrate (mud, rock, coral, shale, sand, goop)
Method (drop and forget, set by backing sails, flying set, motoring back)
Scope (infinitely variable)
Rode (chain size/strength/weight, rope (type poly/nylon whatever)
Boat behaviour (sails at anchor, pitches, hobbyhorses, lays quiet)
Area of anchoring (gusts of winds, wind shifts, currents, tide ranges)

And now we use the above to select the correct anchor to cope with the above variables (And i'm sure i've left some out) to get one anchor that does it all i believe very difficult.
More difficult i think is for anyone to give singular advice, it comes down to seamanship take the best you can and learn from it, i always stay aboard till certain the boat is truly attached to mother earth.
The manufacturer should be sizing his recommended anchor to suggested boat sizes using a load/strata calculation. However different anchors ARE needed for different bottoms, your spare preferably being a different type.

Choosing a size? As cruisers we always opt for the next size up, its a given.
Old 17-04-2012, 02:30   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
. However different anchors ARE needed for different bottoms, your spare preferably being a different type.

Modern anchors are much more versatile than their older counterparts. The days of needing to change anchors for different substrates are thankfully gone IMHO.
That does not mean their are no differences between models, for example the Spade is slightly worse, than other modern alternatives in soft mud, but better on very short scope. However the differences are small and the level of reserve is large, especially if you up size,as suggested.
In the old days the differences were much larger and the anchor often needed to be swapped, as anyone who has tried to set a CQR in hard sand will attest.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 02:53   #71

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Modern anchors are much more versatile than their older counterparts. The days of needing to change anchors for different substrates are thankfully gone IMHO.
That does not mean their are no differences between models, for example the Spade is slightly worse, than other modern alternatives in soft mud, but better on very short scope. However the differences are small and the level of reserve is large, especially if you up size,as suggested.
In the old days the differences were much larger and the anchor often needed to be swapped, as anyone who has tried to set a CQR in hard sand will attest.
Agreed to a point however i come from Australia and at times need to anchor on reef, we have a vastly different anchor for doing so, i'd not want to risk my main anchor for this.
Funny how at one time the genuine CQR was the be all and end all of anchors.....

Cheers Frank
Old 17-04-2012, 12:07   #72

Well so far this has been as clear as mud :-)
Rock and Coral Sand. Don't know. Maybe buy 2 fortress anchors.

Tags
anchor