Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you could choose only ONE type of anchor sailing around the world
Bugel 6 1.71%
Delta 42 12.00%
CQR 64 18.29%
Rocna 97 27.71%
Spade 25 7.14%
Manson Supreme 30 8.57%
Fortress 12 3.43%
Danforth 24 6.86%
Hydrobubble 4 1.14%
Other 46 13.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2008, 01:15   #301
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Would it not be better to let it drain out easily? Welding a cap does not ensure it will be sealed forever. Most things hollow don;t stay that way. Leaving it open ensures water won't get trapped in there for extended periods. The outside is exposed to water as much as the inside. Letting is remain inside would be worse.
I'm hollow, and I need to drain water-do you suppose I'd benefit from galvanizing?
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 20:48   #302
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I'm hollow, and I need to drain water-do you suppose I'd benefit from galvanizing?
Only if your in and out of the water a lot. If you don't swim may I suggest a nice gentle electro-galv instead. Better colour range
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 13:31   #303

Boat: Endeavour E40
Does anybody know where I can get my old CQR "hot dipped" around TAMPA BAY for CHEAP?..... it's showing a little rust and I want to get ahead of the game.....
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 16:12   #304

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
Does anybody know where I can get my old CQR "hot dipped" around TAMPA BAY for CHEAP?..... it's showing a little rust and I want to get ahead of the game.....
There used to be a galvanizing place on 56th street. Don't know if it is still there.
It was just South of the RR tracks I think, less than a mile North of Hillsborough. Should be in the yellow pages (or whatever they are called now).
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 22:15   #305

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Hello all,

New to this board.

I thought the CQR should not be re-galvanized because the process will melt the lead out of the weighted tip and make it even harder to set.

Unless of course you put lead back in place.

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 02:40   #306

Boat: Trismus 37
thats exactly what you do, either you remove the lead yourself and replace it after galvanising, or it is removed by the galvaniser and generally they don't replace it.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 05:20   #307

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
The CQR should not have lead in the tip. Its tip is weighted with a build up of steel plate, or cast - I forget. Of course, I could be wrong...

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 14:27   #308

I find that the results of this survey to very dubious...........

The Rocna has been voted on "over-whelmingly" on this site............

but yet, I've been doing my own little survey, (I belong to a club) and I have not yet found a sailor that has ever heard of this anchor, much less owning one.....

but this anchor is the #1 owned anchor (according to this survey) on this fine site....

I believe something is "amiss"! I'm sorry, but I find these results dubious, at best.
Especillay when I find a majority of the sailors I speak to own at least one CQR!......

Just an observation on my part, I could be wrong, of course!
Old 21-04-2008, 14:44   #309

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post

but this anchor is the #1 owned anchor (according to this survey) on this fine site....

I believe something is "amiss"! I'm sorry, but I find these results dubious, at best.
Especillay when I find a majority of the sailors I speak to own at least one CQR!......

Just an observation on my part, I could be wrong, of course!

With all due respect, this survey did not ask : "what is the number 1 owned anchor" It did ask: "if you only could choose one anchor which would it be." To reply to the survey, one did not have to own a Rocna. The votes could include people who want to buy a Rocna in the future.
Also, CQR did very well in the survey. Rocnas are VERY expensive, so, to want one is not the same as having paid for one.

One should also consider that this site is full of Kiwi sailors, which is the home of the Rocna. I would imagine that Kiwi's are much more aware of this product. Not to mention that Craig Smith, an employee of Rocna regularly discusses his product on this site.

I do agree that in certain sailing circles the data would have been different, but a survey is ALWAYS biased in some way.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 14:47   #310
cruiser

This site, is by definition, used by internet users. Internet users are likely to be the first people to learn of new technology, when compared to yachtsmen who don't do internet-based research on yachting subjects. Also, the Rocna inventor does a lot of marketing on yachting BBSs. So, I don't think its fishy, just different groups of folks.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 17:47   #311

You guys are ABSOLUTELY correct!
I stand corrected, the responses on this survey are only from "internet" gurus,
they probably do more research than most, and the question is which anchor would they prefer, disregarding price......

that clears it up for me, thanks!
Old 21-04-2008, 20:12   #312

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Another thing interesting about the survey is that GMAC voted for the SPADE anchor. Go figure...

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 21:33   #313

Boat: Trismus 37
I own 2 CQR clones but since buying the Rocna 20 it has become my primary anchor, no ********, it is by far the best anchor that I have ever used. Were I to consider buying another anchor it would be a Manson Supreme, my decision is based on price, as I believe them to be basically equal.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 23:56   #314
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Another thing interesting about the survey is that GMAC voted for the SPADE anchor. Go figure...
Keegan
And how would you know that? I said it somewhere I hope or were you the rustling in the bushes outside the window the other night Hard to go past Spade as when you think about it that does cover more than just one anchor.... A ha, take that, 3 for the price of one I do love my alloys especially on the racetrack.

I think that the interweb comment is probably right. Rocna has been plastered all over. Like most things if you push the name out enuff it will be remembered, al la McDonalds, Coke and so on. Isn't marketing a weird animal and Rocnas 2 main competitors do next to zero marketing.

Our sales and a few numbers I know would suggest somewhat differing results than the poll has, as would a wonder around any marina. But the Rocna does have a strong following by many, with good reason.

But wait there's more. 2 more new ones due shortly. One is out there but in very low numbers while they crank up manufacturing levels. Ugly but almost china type pricing. There is also an alloy that looks like it will compete with steel head to head in most areas inc strength, due out soon I believe. Got to have a play with a prototype the other day and were seriously impressed, very seriously. If this one's destruction numbers stack up it will be one to watch. NZ's new past time does appear to be designing and building anchors
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 00:15   #315
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
One should also consider that this site is full of Kiwi sailors,
It is??? I can think of maybe 8. So OK, lets say there are 10, that's a small No. out of over 10,000 members. :-)
Quote:
I would imagine that Kiwi's are much more aware of this product
No absolutely not. Most Kiwis, the CQR would be the most well know anchor. The CQR is certainly the most seen anchor on larger boats. Small fizz boats use the Fortress type design of sand anchors mostly called Danforth Anchors.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor