Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Only One Anchor (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/only-one-anchor-10513.html)

Keegan 13-10-2007 18:53

Only One Anchor
 
If you could choose only ONE type of anchor for an around the world voyage which would you choose?

SkiprJohn 13-10-2007 19:26

Aloha Keegan,
I just don't think that would ever happen. I wouldn't cruise with less than 3. Sorry I can't respond. My primary storm anchor is a 60 lb "real" CQR but I certainly wouldn't deploy that anchoring for lunch.
Kind Regards,
JohnL

Keegan 13-10-2007 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiprJohn (Post 105373)
Aloha Keegan,
I just don't think that would ever happen. I wouldn't cruise with less than 3. Sorry I can't respond. My primary storm anchor is a 60 lb "real" CQR but I certainly wouldn't deploy that anchoring for lunch.
Kind Regards,
JohnL


ok, just sail right by then.:rolleyes:

Keegan

Kiwikat 13-10-2007 21:19

SARCA Anchor
 
Hi Keegan,

After years of putting up with our CQR dragging, at the most inconvenient times, last Christmas we had had enough. We purchased a SARCA anchor which is along the lines of the Rocna and Manson Supreme anchors. Our 5 week xmas cruise was transformed from the usual nervous "is it safe to leave the boat?", to a complete faith in this new breed of anchor. We experienced a graphic illustration of it's performance when, sheltered in a bay, a 40 knot squall hit. Within minutes we were the only boat left, securely anchored in the bay as we watched every other boat drag back past us, all pulling up CQR's.

We plan to get a cat in the next couple of years, a Dolphin 460 is our dream boat, (you have our total envy there!!!!!!!!), but whatever we end up with we will be staying with a SARCA as our main anchor.

Cheers
L

Keegan 13-10-2007 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwikat (Post 105395)

We plan to get a cat in the next couple of years, a Dolphin 460 is our dream boat, (you have our total envy there!!!!!!!!), but whatever we end up with we will be staying with a SARCA as our main anchor.

Cheers
L

Nice info on the SARCA. If I could amend the poll I would add it to the list but it is set now.

I hope you can get your Dolphin soon.

Keegan

GMac 13-10-2007 22:09

If only having the choice of 1 I'd have to go Spade. A steel 1 of primary and Alloy for the second 1.

A case of 1 + 1 = 1 :) :)

KiwiKat - boat type/size, displacement and Sarca size no please, if I may ask. Just being nosey, as I can be. Your thoughts on the rock-slot as well if I may, again.

maxingout 13-10-2007 23:09

From Australia to Florida I used the seventy pound Beugel as my only anchor. If I go around the world again, it will be with a Beugel. A friend of mine on a fifty foot catamaran uses a hundred pound Beugel, and he has dragged anchor only one time from Alabama to New Zealand last time I checked.

Kiwikat 14-10-2007 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMac (Post 105406)
KiwiKat - boat type/size, displacement and Sarca size no please, if I may ask. Just being nosey, as I can be. Your thoughts on the rock-slot as well if I may, again.

The boat is a Farr 1104 (36 footer). Displacement? Wouldn't have a clue. It is not a standard 1104 and as we have fully kitted it out for cruising it is no longer the lightweight racer it once was. i.e. hardtop dodger, roller main and every creature comfort we can squeeze on. We went for a no.5 though we could probably have gotten away with a no.4 mind you we have a lot of mates in bigger boats that happily hang off the back of us at drink o'clock in 25 odd knots. Sorry, not quite sure where you are coming from with the rock-slot question.

44'cruisingcat 14-10-2007 01:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxingout (Post 105411)
From Australia to Florida I used the seventy pound Beugel as my only anchor. If I go around the world again, it will be with a Beugel. A friend of mine on a fifty foot catamaran uses a hundred pound Beugel, and he has dragged anchor only one time from Alabama to New Zealand last time I checked.

Dragging your anchor from Alabama to New Zealand is pretty major though!

We love our 30kg Bruce. Never dragged it. Not once. Ever.

mojo 14-10-2007 01:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMac (Post 105406)
If only having the choice of 1 I'd have to go Spade. A steel 1 of primary and Alloy for the second 1.

A case of 1 + 1 = 1 :) :)

KiwiKat - boat type/size, displacement and Sarca size no please, if I may ask. Just being nosey, as I can be. Your thoughts on the rock-slot as well if I may, again.

Yeah, the Spades are great both in aluminum and steel.

Mojo

Keegan 14-10-2007 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat (Post 105423)
Dragging your anchor from Alabama to New Zealand is pretty major though!

We love our 30kg Bruce. Never dragged it. Not once. Ever.

I screwed up and forgot to put Bruce on the list:dork: There is no way to edit it now, but go ahead and vote for "other" The Bruce is obviously very popular anchor.

Keegan

Lynx 14-10-2007 04:50

I would have several different types for world cruising but for my cruising grounds, Bahamas and East USA I bought a Super Max. Not on your list as well.

pilot 14-10-2007 05:41

During Charter trips we had the BRUCE dragging.
On our own boat, first with a CQR, we had occasionally dragging events.
Changing to a BUEGEL anchor, until now, NO dragging experience.

However, thinking now of taking the ROCNA as a primary, than the BUEGEL as our secondary, aluminum spade as third and FORTRESS as auxilliary.

Our CAT will be heavy anyway!:eek:
My wife would love 1000 feet of chain plus a 200 pound anchor. We found a compromise, see above.;)

Sandero 14-10-2007 06:59

In can't answer this because I only have uised 2 anchors in 22 years CQR 99.9% and Bruce 0.1%. Having read about some other anchors which sound interesting, I can't say much but some sound interesting and worth a try. But I have had good success the the CQR on the bottoms I anchored on and the conditions which attended.

Is it time to change? Dunno. I'm not about to cruise and I wouldn't take a single anchor... probably 3.

jef
sv shiva

Rangiroo 14-10-2007 07:33

The boat we just bought has a 45lb CQR primary and a Fortress FX55 as a stern anchor...the CQR is way too light for my tastes (32000lbs displacement) so I got a Rocna 33 (73lbs) for a new primary and I cannot wait to try it out!!! The CQR will be kept as a second anchor.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.