Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you could choose only ONE type of anchor sailing around the world
Bugel 6 1.71%
Delta 42 12.00%
CQR 64 18.29%
Rocna 97 27.71%
Spade 25 7.14%
Manson Supreme 30 8.57%
Fortress 12 3.43%
Danforth 24 6.86%
Hydrobubble 4 1.14%
Other 46 13.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2008, 20:57   #271
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I see the comment about the weight of an anchor often made. It shoudl be made clear that the weight of an anchor is not actually imortant. The weight actually means very little in water, as the steel is going to be 6x lighter in the water than out. CQR use weight as a "rule of thumb" to suggest an anchor size to suit a vessel length. It is just a means of suggesting a size. It is still the phyisical size of the anchor that holds you in place.
Weight can not be used across a range of makes. In other words, a 45lb CQR is not the same as a 45lb Bruce for instance.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 21:17   #272
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post

The correct way to do this for a storm, especially for one that is cyclic, is to have the three anchors in an egual angle Y shape. The centre of the rode that connects the three together then becomes the connection point for you rode upto the boat.
When I need to set that one, I'll give you a ring and you can help me lay it

(Boracay may need one in a few minutes, its looking awfully dark here!)

Thnaks for your help, Alan

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 22:00   #273

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I'm anchored in the head of
Torea Bay tonight in about 12m of water. I have 50m of chain out and the 4m nylon snubber to stop the jar and grinding noise.
There is not a single other boat in the bay.
We layed the anchor out nice and slow and backed up between .5 and 1knot until the 50m was all out. Then I gunn the motor in reverse and it digs in, stops us and we bounce forward.

Supposed to get no more than a 30knot Northerly tonight.

Rum and cokes are out. It is 7pm here and just dropped under 30deg celcius.

Solar shower was so hot today we had to add 4 litres of water to it.

Two bars of cell and computer service here.

Just magic....
Old 15-01-2008, 22:26   #274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
When I need to set that one, I'll give you a ring and you can help me lay it
You bet and then we both can have some liquid refreshments while snobing the winds.

Old 16-01-2008, 00:00   #275
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
As Alan was talking about deep water anchoring, it reminded me of something I do when involved in newbuilds or retrofits.

In any new builds I have been involved in, I would specify a deep water emergency arrangement that I learned from my early days in offshore towing. This applies more to power vessels, where you can’t sail out of danger, hopefully will never need to be used, but has saved more than one vessel drifting towards a lee shore that is deep or steep to:

In the chain locker, the fore and aft centreline bulkhead that separates the 2 chain compartments, has a heavy duty fairlead/ roller arrangement welded in the bottom part of that partition. The bitter ends of both chains are tied off in each compartment as is normal, but a joining shackle is kept there to marry the 2 ends. In case of an NUC emergency where normal scope will not keep you from drifting onto the surf line, deploy both anchors to about maximum scope, join both bitter ends so that they go through this bulkhead fairlead, then, slowly retrieve one while paying out the extra chain to the other anchor.

Again this is an extreme situation, but if your building or refitting, just an added option for you to consider

Lastly, a little trick that most of you will know, but maybe someone doesn't: If you find yourself anchoring on a wild wet windy night with little reference to your speed or direction, use your depth sounder to confirm that you are actually going astern, before letting go the anchor. When your clear picture of the bottom is filled with painted noise from you backing over your prop wash, it confirms you are moving astern!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 10:19   #276
cruiser

Isn't Craigsmiths photo an ad for Rocna? Same as his web link? Are we allowed to do that? Just wondering...
Wayne Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 10:28   #277
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Wayne,

Movements are going on behind the scenes right now to better define vendor posting in Cruisers Forum (literally right now). Once we get infrastructure and rules in place we can do this in a way that works well and can be fair.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 10:48   #278
cruiser

Am I wrong, or aren't all CQR-DELTA-SPADE-ROCKNA and plow type anchors? It also seems to me that the Rocna is a modified copy of the Spade.

Pblais - Sounds good. I saw somwhere where a guy got taken after yesterday or so for links to his books.
Wayne Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 11:27   #279

Boat: Endeavour E40
Maybe there should be a "thread" just for vendor posting.....

let 'em fight it out on that, that should provide some "shark-infested-waters" entertainment!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 11:41   #280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You must have ESP. We are currently creatign a Vendor Forum right now. There will be rules, so "fighting it out" won't be allowed.
Anyways, lets not take this thread off the topic.

Old 16-01-2008, 12:09   #281

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Kent View Post
Am I wrong, or aren't all CQR-DELTA-SPADE-ROCKNA a plow type anchors? It also seems to me that the Rocna is a modified copy of the Spade.
They are all a plow in some form or another. It's just some don't do a good job for gardening, and that's the one you want for an anchor, providing it digs in quickly in a multitude of bottom conditions.
Old 16-01-2008, 14:19   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
Rum and cokes are out. It is 7pm here and just dropped under 30deg celcius... ...Just magic....
:cubalibre

We should be over that way (but outer Sounds/D'Urville) in around 2 weeks or so. Wife has been unwell so our gittin' there has been delayed else we would be about there now.

So don't use up all the good weather and catch all the fish will you .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 18:47   #283
cruiser

I just got word from Manson-They use 103,000 psi (780 MPA) steel for the shank and 55,000 psi for the rest. They also harden the tip. They called it "weld hardening" which rings no bells for me-perhaps they mean heat hardening?

3 to 1 scope works with all chain rode-I notice lots of posts about scope that don't give specifics about the rode. There is very little point in discussing scope without describing the rode. I would prefer full specifics-anchor, anchor weight, rode, and boat length, displacement, and type.

Short scope also works with Admiralty pattern anchors-even with all rope rodes, but Admiralty anchors have small palms, and so they work well only if really heavy for the boat size, ( 2 pounds per foot of boat length is the usual recommendation,) or if used in rock or coral bottoms. No patent problems there-the patent must have expired centuries ago!
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 19:59   #284
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi BigCat. Weld hardening is quite simple. A special rod called a Hard facing/surfacing rod is used. It lays down a weld of especially hardened alloys of steels. Different rods give different alloys and thus hardnesses. Often used in earthworking and Mining equipment etc where cutting teeth, chisel teeth and so on need rebuilding once worn down. I did this to my CQR anchor. I don't believe it is a genuine Manson and wanted to change certain aspects of it. One was the point and it's profile and angle. In the end, I finished with a Chisel point to see how that worked. It seemed to improve it's performance in the types of bottoms I anchor in. I didn't go any further with testing points because I built my other anchor and the CQR copy is a back up only anchor now.

Old 16-01-2008, 20:01   #285
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Midlandone, make sure you give us a yell befor you arrive, so as we can meet up out there somewhere. I have to get Seafox over our way again, so I can fit the Masthead unit of his Windspeed instruments.

Tags
anchor