Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you could choose only ONE type of anchor sailing around the world
Bugel 6 1.71%
Delta 42 12.00%
CQR 64 18.29%
Rocna 97 27.71%
Spade 25 7.14%
Manson Supreme 30 8.57%
Fortress 12 3.43%
Danforth 24 6.86%
Hydrobubble 4 1.14%
Other 46 13.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 15:32   #331

I was living in Auckland first part of the 1970's while at university. Am glad I made a point of doing the hydrofoil thing while I had the chance. Don't know how many are operating around the world now, they and hovercraft seem to have been replaced by the fast catamaran ferries.

We are very busy practicing anchoring at the moment, been 2 nights anchored on the coast outside Pelorous Sound and highest recorded gust a very boisterous 13 knots, but haven't seen it over 8 knots myself. So very worrying time here on 24 hour anchor watch but we ain't dragged yet - must be all that chain cos we ain't got a Rocna .

Is almost more worrying than the current risk of sunstroke and cirrhosis .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 05:26   #332

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Started cruising [vacations etc] last year and dragged about a quarter mile w my CQR [35 lbs on 30' Morgan OI] all night on Katama bay on Martha's Vinyard. Just sprung for a Rocna 15 and like what I hear. Will give it a shot on Katama again this summer. It cost more but from what I read...I read alot...and the testimony, it should be good.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 07:18   #333

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Boomp,

Katama bay hasn't allowed anchoring for several years now. Also, the barrier island was washed away two years ago - making Katama a high-current "river" during tide changes. Where were you anchoring in the bay? We anchored there a long time ago when it was allowed and loved it. Went there a couple of years ago and they only allowed anchoring outside the bay along the shoreline. Crowded and rolly and exposed to a lot of weather. Sure would like to go back if Katana is open again.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 10:29   #334

As of August 2007 you could. We were asked to go there along w about 8 other boats if we wanted launch service. The current and wind make for a lot of moving about.

Old 27-04-2008, 11:47   #335
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If you had to choose to live on your heart, your brain or your lungs, then which would you choose? The answer is none of the above because you need all three. This is pretty analogous to being limited to one anchor. Yeah, I know it was a hypothetical.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:24   #336
Marine Service Provider

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you had to choose to live on your heart, your brain or your lungs, then which would you choose? The answer is none of the above because you need all three. This is pretty analogous to being limited to one anchor. Yeah, I know it was a hypothetical.
Our oft repeated advice is that the lore of carrying different anchor types, like your collection, is now totally unnecessary. It used to be the case that people would have different styles, each present only to address the flaws of the others!

A good anchor will handle everything, and then you just need multiple copies of it for different functions, or spares, and the size can be varied.

Peter has onboard Kiwi Roa four different Rocnas ranging from 33 to 55Kg, nothing else, and considers this perfectly adequate for the toughest of locales including Patagonia and Antartica (currently in Chile).
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 07:36   #337

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post
As of August 2007 you could. We were asked to go there along w about 8 other boats if we wanted launch service. The current and wind make for a lot of moving about.
Boomp,

Are you talking about anchoring in the back of the bay or taking a mooring in the front of the bay (closer to town)? We purposefully skipped Edgartown last summer because of the Katama situation. If they are now allowing anchoring again, that would be fantastic news.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 10:24   #338

Mark,
We were in the anchorage near the entrance to Edgartown and the harbormaster directed the launch operator to inform us we would not get service unless we moved to Katama Bay. We were in the Bay...word is that some of the 'lords' didn't like having the sailboats sharing the view. So we were in the bay and it was nice, spectacular night sky too. But the currents and winds mentioned earlier made it nervy. I think I've got that 'fixed' though. Looking forward to it again this year.

Old 23-05-2008, 02:23   #339

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The longest threads here are usually about anchors, chain length and dinks.

So let's set a record - What kind of anchor do you use on your dink and how long is the chain?

I use an 80 pound CQR with 600 feet of 5/8 inch chain. I always throw out all the chain when I hit the beach cuz you never know...
80lb anchor and 600ft of chain on a Maxi 77!?!?!?
Old 29-06-2008, 22:55   #340

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I voted other because I designed and built my own anchor out of scrap steel at my house to avoid spending money on one that might not work and this one didn't cost me anything!!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:59   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Mud is good. Mud stuck means no O2 so no O2 = no rust.

Not entirely correct. The WORST corrosion happens in the boundary layer between an oxygen-rich and an oxygen-depleted environment. Free water is oxygen-rich, and mud has little or no oxygen.

Not so apparent when anchoring, which is something most of us do for a comparitively short duration of time. However, I've seen plenty fixed moorings where the chain has failed, or is just short of failing, in the region where the chain lifts off the bottom. Something to do with separate corrosive processes happening in the different environments, and the constant change between these environments accelerating the overall process. Sulphur-reducing bacteria in the mud may also be doing their part on the steel. And this is a problem with fixed structures on a muddy seafloor, too, e.g. pilings, so the abrasive action as the chain moves over the bottom does not necessarily play a part.
Oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 19:38   #342

Boat: Gulfstar SM 40
I have a Hydrobubble 50-55, which I used extensively this winter in the Caribbean. It went in better and held better than any other anchor I have used (CQR,Delta,Bruce,Fortress,Danforth,SeaClaw). This is a storm anchor that you can use every day. Only dragged once when I failed to power into heavy weed in Spanish Waters, Curacao. Once dug in to the weed, it never moved through 34 knots of breeze.
Suddenly, they have become unavailable - I would love to know why, as I really wanted to buy a second smaller one as a stern anchor. I hope they surface again, or someone tells me what the problem with them was??
SkipperDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 20:05   #343
cruiser

Hydrobubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperDoug View Post
I have a Hydrobubble 50-55, which I used extensively this winter in the Caribbean. It went in better and held better than any other anchor I have used (CQR,Delta,Bruce,Fortress,Danforth,SeaClaw). This is a storm anchor that you can use every day. Only dragged once when I failed to power into heavy weed in Spanish Waters, Curacao. Once dug in to the weed, it never moved through 34 knots of breeze.
Suddenly, they have become unavailable - I would love to know why, as I really wanted to buy a second smaller one as a stern anchor. I hope they surface again, or someone tells me what the problem with them was??
I think the manufacturer should test that anchor without the bubble to see if it does just as well. The idea sounds too Rube Goldberg to appeal very much - though I know it did very well in tests by magazines.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 23:56   #344
Marine Service Provider

I know they had a issue with the 'bubble', something to do with UV breaking it down a bit quick but I'm sure that was quickly sorted. Apart from that not much. There was a low level rumour they went bust but I don't really know.

It is an interesting beast. Never had a chance to play with one but we have heard good comments, nothing spectacular but good all the same.

But don't worry, inside a month or so 2 new anchors will be hitting the streets and the anchor war will likely fire up again. Looking forward to one manufacturers comments, they'll be sure to include the word 'copy' and shanks are not up to scratch. Neither of which will be true but why let facts stand in the way of a good story

Both look damn interesting actually. Both following the Spade theory. One is full SS so won't be at the budget end and the other has huge blade area but yet relatively liteweight. Could be a good priced replacement for Fortress's maybe. There is also a version with a demountable shank, always a handy idea.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 04:30   #345

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
i have a 36 ft tri approx 5 tonnes and as my primary anchor i have a sarca number 6 and as a back up a 30 lb fisher man im very impressed with the sarca i have dragged only twice in 4 yrs and both times it was my fault eg- not enough scope put out on a short break waiting for tide to rise and the other by not setting anchor properly but over all i wouldnt switch to another anchor iam very happy with the sarca
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor