Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2022, 22:32   #16

Re: Maxwell Nilsson V3000 anchor winch.

https://maxwellmarine.com/global-support/australia/
Kastaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 19:53   #17

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

The ongoing saga, the new replacement motor arrived, finally, it's a Cima 1200w 12v, mmm, well it all went back together fresh paint and upon refitting the whole thing back into the deck a quick check to make sure it all works ok, well it didn't, ran slow as a wet wig, electric cables all getting extremely hot, motor getting hot, tripped a 150amp breaker, huge current draw, 2 days of dismantling to make sure no gearbox issue, binding, back together again, back into deck and recheck all the same, removed the motor from the winch again and tested it on it's own with the same overload, further investigation is the antiroll back bearing at the end of the motor is faulty binding up the motor creating an over load, anyone ever had this issue with this particular type of motor, bearing? now on the waitng list for a replacement, not having a good experience.

Rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221216_105721.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	268790  
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 20:21   #18

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

So lets get some more info, was it just a non-reversing motor before, and now you have a 3 terminal motor wired thru a new solenoid.

Or originally it was a 3 terminal motor and you have wired the new motor, either way did you wire it properly.

Is your Battery thats wired to it, is that Lead Acid.
If it was LFP you'd blow the fuse with a short circuit. If LA it will get very hot I'd imagine.

Running very slow, sound like the commutator is barely in contact, if it was a bearing, if you could connect it up without stator, will it turn by hand.?

Tell us more.
Old 15-12-2022, 20:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
So lets get some more info, was it just a non-reversing motor before, and now you have a 3 terminal motor wired thru a new solenoid.

Or originally it was a 3 terminal motor and you have wired the new motor, either way did you wire it properly.

Is your Battery thats wired to it, is that Lead Acid.
If it was LFP you'd blow the fuse with a short circuit. If LA it will get very hot I'd imagine.

Running very slow, sound like the commutator is barely in contact, if it was a bearing, if you could connect it up without stator, will it turn by hand.?

Tell us more.
Original motor was non reversing, new motor is a 3 terminal reversing motor wired from a new solenoid, wired properly, +ve -ve to solenoid, M1 to up at motor M2 to down at motor plus two switching wires, LA batteries, anything would get hot and run slow if under extreme load, its a brand new motor.
Old 15-12-2022, 21:31   #20

just to prove a point I've just wired back in the old motor which can be a little intermitent at times, old Lucas 3M100, when operated the current draw is what you expect, no heating up of components, no tripped breaker, the only reason of going down the road of replacing it is that the old motor has nearly become unserviceable, so its back to the new motor binding up hence faulty antiroll back bearing, I've never seen this type before and was curious of anyone else's experience with them.

Rod.
Old 17-12-2022, 00:42   #21

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Have no idea about bearing, you may be right, but assembling the armature only and winding it by hand could have been revealing.

I suspect the wiring thou as, I had a experience that I went for a remote control solenoid. I mean there was no diagram of the internals, but when I went to use it on my 3M100, it went bang and blew my fuses on my LFP.

Could you not wire up the new motor for single direction operation without the solenoid, ie same as it was wired for the 3M100. If it operates OK you know its not the Motor.
Old 29-12-2022, 23:51   #22

Well after a 3 week wait the replacement anti roll back devise arrived today, fitted it to the winch motor with no problems, wired it back in (motor only) for a test, it did run in both directions at least, but the current draw is enormous and the motor only runs at half the speed of the old one, motor, cables, reversing solenoid all get extremely hot, this is with no gearbox or chain and anchor connected, the old motor runs twice as fast and less current than this replacement, when we first spoke to Nilsson's about a replacement motor I was told that they didn't have a 12v motor in stock and would have to convert a 24v one to 12v, is it possible that this new motor is 24v and not 12v, didn't get converted, I'm at a complete loss now as to what to do next before I contact them again, them being in New Zealand and us in Australia is making this one conversion a real headache.

Rod

Tags
anchor, maxwell, nilsson, winch