Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 20:22   #1

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran
Maxwell Nilsson V3000 anchor winch.

Hi,

I'm looking for a little advise on can I inspect or replace the brushes on our Maxwell Nilsson V3000 anchor winch without removing the winch from the boat? it still works fine but with the occasional no start problem and was hoping that a clean up of the brushes may just cure the issue, I know I can get a replacement motor from Maxwell Nilsson but really not convinced that is required so if anyone has been done this road with success any advise in most welcome.

Cheers Rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210415_092127.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	255394  
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 20:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Maxwell Nilsson V3000 anchor winch.

The photographs of their motors suggest that the brushs do not have external caps that would let you easily pull and replace the brushes and springs. If that's true, getting to the brushes means disassembling the motor, assuming that you can get to it under the deck.

I've done this replacement of internal brushes once, and don't intend to do it again. The problem is the reassembly, because you have to insert the shaft/rotor past the two brushes while they are being pushed by their springs into the way. My solution involved looping threads through the springs, compressing the springs and retracting the brushes so that the shaft could slide between the brushes and seat on the back bearing. Then I slipped the threads out and completed the reassembly.

I didn't have an alternative in that case. Are ou absolutely sure that you want to get into this? If so, best of luck with it.
Old 02-04-2022, 21:02   #3

No I'm not sure I want to get to this at all but may better than having to pull up chain with an 80lb Manson Supreme on the end, some broken down diagrams suggest the brushes are housed flat in the end cap of the Lucas's 3M100 motor which sit flat up against the commutator which would make it easier to do, but opening up a can of worms could be on the cards.

Cheers Rod
Old 03-04-2022, 02:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Evidently, Maxwell Nilsson’s DC powered units were fitted with a highly customised Lucas 3M100 starter motor. There are still auto electrical service shops that can work on these motors, but since the originals were modified significantly, replacement Lucas motors are no longer available. Brush kits should be available.

The Lucas 3M100 starter motor ➥ https://majcd213.blogspot.com/2017/0...revisited.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

James Nilsson Co.

Email: sales@nilsson.nz
Web: http://www.jamesnilsson.co.nz/
Tel: +64 9-444 5219
Freephone: 0800 494 624

For direct access to advice from our service department, please fill in your requirements or current problem and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://www.jamesnilsson.com/enquiry...sku/01438.html

Early Nilsson Winches ➥ https://www.jamesnilsson.com/shop/Wi...cat/00345.html

Servicing ➥ https://www.jamesnilsson.com/Winch+Servicing.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:14   #6

Boat: Adams Carinya 44 - Veloce

Hi Rod

Great winch, absolutely love mine and it’s super hardy. Just a possibly silly question, have you ruled out the anchor switch as your source of start problems?

We had a whitworths deck push switch (the black round type you kneel on with your knee), it was our intermittent start problem. Just replaced the unit about $50 if I recall and all has been great for the past 8 years now!

All the best Steve
Steve Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:16   #7

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Well here goes, Plenty of Lucas 3M100 brushes in UK, (Used on Landrover, MG etc) had a friend in UK who could do a better job than me to track them down also got square insulating nylon for the positive that passes thru the end cap, that holds the brushes, yes end cap, these brushes are mounted on the end of the shaft, they are somewhat triangular shape.
My problem was the commutator was worn badly and chewed out a brand new set of brushes within a year, when I disassembled the winch again, I grabbed the motor shaft with the chuck of the 18V drill, and while rotating it I did a pretty good job with the angle grinder with a flapper disk to get the commutator flat and smooth.
My top part of the gear box was badly corroded, I got a new one from Nilsson in NZ. A new motor I did not get but it has the advantage of going in reverse, handy for when the chain does not freely come out of the locker.
Now your problem may be the deck switch but if those brushes wear, the spring pressure will lesson that end cap is likely full of wear particles as well.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:31   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have the same winch on a 41 year old boat. The only problems I have had was with the deck switch. I only have the up deck switch but have up and down control at the helm. 2 years ago I installed a wireless remote control. I never have to use the deck switch anymore. These are very tough winches.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:11   #9

Boat: Dix 43 HD

I have replaced the brushes on my V1000 -pretty straight forward as they are old school Lucas starter motor units with a modified drive but brushes etc in motor are std so readily available BUT I did have to remove unit from the boat - Depending how it is installed it was also a straight forward process. Guys at the NZ supplier were super helpful and the cost was minimal. still family member working there

the reason these drive units were used was because NZ had import restrictions for many years so often the only solution for a manufacturer was to take something that was already being imported - in this case car starter motors and adapt it. They do work like a dream and are very robust and reliable.
Before doing brushes definitely check solenoid, switch etc as these are fail points

Good luck
Wayne
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 20:09   #10

Update, remedy the winch from the boat, removed motor and stripped it down, cleaned out all the carbon dust inside, cleaned armature & commutator, brushes looked really food so they went back in, reassembled, painted & refit, tested and works like a charm first time every time, it may even run a little quicker, happy days.

Cheers Rod ��
Old 27-11-2022, 16:07   #11

To revisit this, unfortunately the old lucas motor is worn out, it's been to a couple of auto electrician's, commutator is worn out and too thin to be machined, I have ordered a new replacement motor from Nilssons in New Zealand to which they do have it available including the adapter plate, the only problem is to get them to answer emails or to even respond to you, I've rang them on numerous occasions being told it's ready to go we'll send you an invoice tomorrow and get it on a plane to Australia, that was nine days ago, no response, getting cranky, just needed to vent.

Rod
Old 29-11-2022, 02:05   #12

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I hope you getting the the 3 terminal motor so that it can be reversed, this would be handy as sometimes I have to work real hard to pull the chain out of the locker. Would you mind advising the price they want. I suspect your problem is due to a key person not being available. Good luck.
Old 29-11-2022, 02:44   #13

What part of the world are you in Rod ?
Kastaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2022, 13:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
I hope you getting the the 3 terminal motor so that it can be reversed, this would be handy as sometimes I have to work real hard to pull the chain out of the locker. Would you mind advising the price they want. I suspect your problem is due to a key person not being available. Good luck.
Yes it should be the three terminal motor, rang them again yesterday and they said the motor just has to be assembled and will ship it out tomorrow, I was told that ten days ago, still no one will contact me.
Old 29-11-2022, 13:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastaway View Post
What part of the world are you in Rod ?
We are in Townsville North Queensland waiting for the motor so we can move on.

Rod.

Tags
anchor, maxwell, nilsson, winch