We had a similar problem that had a couple of different causes:
1) The bolt holes in the stripper had become enlarged,
2) The windlass had been installed on a teak
pad, that was failing
3) The stripper was well worn.
4) The deck
under the windlass was rotting from a lousy install where they put the windlass bolts through a balsa core
We removed the windlass, pad, and cut the deck
open. We filled the deck with epoxy
, and placed the top of the deck on it. Then we made a pad from starboard to mount the windlass and hawse pipe on. We mounted the windlass and then re-aligned (both horizontally & vertically) the hawse pipe so the stripper was as close to the barrel of the windlass as possible. We had the stripper welded up and redrilled the holes.