Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 15:29   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: I just dragged anchor for the first time in my life. Clueless!

I too guess you had something in the hook and the object released as you started lifting the anchor.

In years of anchoring we dragged big way only once but with similar drama to yours. Except it was not a bridge for us but rather the center of a harbour entrance.

Lessons, lessons, lessons. Perhaps two hooks next time?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:03   #32

In bold....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
I'm not sure I'm clear on your setup, but here's what I think I see:

you say 10' depth, but it doesn't sound like you've considered the height of your anchor roller off the water. So let's call that 15', and with 100' out, that's about a what, 6:1 set, which should be ok, but I like a 7:1 if I can

6' to water from anchor roller. Snubbers reduce that 6' to -2ft. Attachment point is actually underwater.

If what you are calling 'rope snubbers' are what the rest of the multihull world calls a 'bridle,' then IMO your bridle length is too short. EACH LEG of the bridle should be equal to your beam, which means, in a 50' boat, you're probably needing what, 24' to each leg, call it a 50' total width bridle? Make said bridle of something stretchy like nylon 3-strand and it will have enough stretch to not need a rubber snubber. (edit: I don't use chain hooks, they scare me.)

That doesn't work. Long snubbers (bridal) just sti on the bottom. You have to take them in significantly in real life. If your anchor roller is 6' up from a 10' water depth and you have 25' snubbers out, they just drag all around the bottom and come unhooked. Bad setup. Of course all anchor rode and snubbers are 3/4" nylon 3 strand. What else could one use aside from nylon?

For all we know, the anchor float fouled - not sure I'd ever use one unless the bottom was rock/snarl

Always use a float. For my whole life. Without it, I'd have never known the boat was directly above the anchor, now would I? Floats are the best thing ever created and never foul the anchor. It's impossible. It's a tuny thing held by a string.

Did you back on your anchor with engine, for a good long time, to set it?

No. Stopped doing that silly charade many years ago with a CQR. Anchors set better naturally.

Nevertheless the above, a reversing current probably wants a Bahamian setup...

This I definitely agree on.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:41   #33

Boat: Gemini 3000

I was anchored in Newport RI and the Swan 65 "Jaguar" was anchored nearby. A blow came up and the cook was onboard hollering as the boat began to drag, "help me , help me". I scrambled into my dinghy, rowed over, pulled the cover off the helm and attempted to start the engine to counter the dragging and the steering wheel or helm was a stubbed shaft, she stated the wheel was with the owner on its way to CT for repairs. I ran to the bow, cranked up the anchor and a coffee cup was perfectly seated on the point of the plow anchor, as it came out of the water it just plopped off with the mud and I payed it back out again, it "set" instantly. I adjusted the scope and she thanked me, just never know!
Kayoko Monk 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 18:48   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That very scenario is why I'd never trust a danforth type anchor if used by itself.
I have an aluminum danforth style for a stern hook and it performs well when used in concert with a bow hook.
I trust my Danforths, but I always have two down. I pull them against each other, then it is clear they are set and solid. Once set, I don't think a Danforth will drag. Might break, but not drag. And it would take a lot to break it. If I had only one down, I agree, I would not use a Danforth. But I am just at least a little uncomfortable with only one of any anchor down. But that's just me. The same night I dragged the CQR I watched a fishing boat behind me drag itself away into the darkness to a rocky shore about a mile away. Finally I saw lights come on and he returned unscathed, anchored again, on one hook, and stayed up the rest of the night. In the mean time another boat, a nice little wood sloop near shore started dragging too, parallel to shore. I had seen an older couple on it earlier so I was a little concerned but it was howling too much for me to try to row over to them. And besides I was sure they'd wake up and check, right? Nope, no lights came on. The boat dragged along for about 100 yards and finally stopped. You don't HAVE to have your own catastrophes to learn a lesson.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 18:54   #35

"Did you back on your anchor with engine, for a good long time, to set it?

No. Stopped doing that silly charade many years ago with a CQR. Anchors set better naturally."

Now THIS comment I am very curious about. How do you know if your anchors are set?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-11-2015, 19:01   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
Then I purchased a 65# plough and have not dragged since. Even during a hurricane the anchor held after two snub lines snapped and the chain cut a groove across the deck up to the stem~~ Never the lost my boat while many were up on the shore.
Never say never.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 19:12   #37

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
"Did you back on your anchor with engine, for a good long time, to set it?

No. Stopped doing that silly charade many years ago with a CQR. Anchors set better naturally."

Now THIS comment I am very curious about. How do you know if your anchors are set?

Agree. That was true with the old style anchors that never set- so you'd just lay it out and hope.

With my rocna (and mantus on prior boat) i will give it hard reverse for some time. Love having the confidence and can't imagine not doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 20:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Agree. That was true with the old style anchors that never set- so you'd just lay it out and hope.

With my rocna (and mantus on prior boat) i will give it hard reverse for some time. Love having the confidence and can't imagine not doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OK, I am still confused. Was there ever a time when just laying an anchor down and not setting it was normal? Sheesh, if I think my anchor may not be set, I can't sleep. And I like to sleep! Yes, I cannot imagine NOT doing that either. Go full reverse on that thing and if it moves start over again! But isn't that anchoring 101?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-11-2015, 20:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK, I am still confused. Was there ever a time when just laying an anchor down and not setting it was normal? Sheesh, if I think my anchor may not be set, I can't sleep. And I like to sleep! Yes, I cannot imagine NOT doing that either. Go full reverse on that thing and if it moves start over again! But isn't that anchoring 101?
Yeah. That's anchioing 101.

I'm in anchoring 406.

This is a subject for a different thread.

I had been on the hook for almost a week in the same spot before the story in the initial post. The anchor had already been set for a week.

Anchors set much better naturally in my experience, which is beyond vast. Spent the majority of the last decade or 2 sleeping at anchor. My boats rarely touch docks or moorings, except when fueling up.

That's several thousand nights.

And I've never dragged until the other day, which was a case of me doing an adjustment on a tangled mess.

Must be doing something right...

What I wasn't doing right was using a single anchor in this exact spot.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 22:07   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Post 1: "A pair of 20' 3/4" rope snubbers hooked to the chain and taking the whole load to my bow cleats"

Post 32: "6' to water from anchor roller. Snubbers reduce that 6' to -2ft. Attachment point is actually underwater."

You have underwater bow cleats? That's some crazy design.

It's been said on many of your threads without getting a response, but I'd really like to see photos of your setup
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 23:18   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Boat was right on top of anchor float. A very odd thing given the strong current and wind that were going in the same direction!
I assume you were using the conventional attachment point rather than the rock slot.

I once dragged in only perhaps 5-10 knots of wind. Fortunately, the anchor alarm woke me. I could not believe the anchor (an 85 lb plow) was dragging in such light conditions, but the cause was quite simple. The anchor float had become wrapped around the stern ladder.

With the float caught like this it was taking all the load. The effective scope was little more than 1:1 and the pull was from the the anchor's crown, so it is not surprising the anchor had little grip.

It is not common for the anchor float to get caught like this, but I have seen it happen a few times. It can occur as the boat drifts over the float in situations of variable wind or current. Sometimes the float is caught on another boat as it swings over your anchor.

I wonder if the same thing happened in this case. It fits in with finding the boat dragging but still being right on top of the anchor float. Once the pressure is released the float can pop free.

In 10 feet of water the anchor float line would be much shorter than the 100 feet plus of rode that was deployed. The float should have been a long way from the boat unless something was fouled and the anchor float is the most likely culprit.

Although catching the anchor float like this is not very common it has the potential to cause the anchor to drag with the rudder or prop also disabled. The float seems to most commonly get trapped by the top of the rudder or prop shaft. Not a nice combination. The best solution is to incorporate a weak link into the float line which will snap if this happens. The weak link needs to be in a position where the rope prior to the weak link can still be reached if the anchor is stuck.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 02:23   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Noelex,

Really interesting comment, but how do we account for the rubber snubber breaking? (perhaps uv degradation)? and the chain hooks coming loose?

Ann
Old 22-11-2015, 05:08   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Noelex,

Really interesting comment, but how do we account for the rubber snubber breaking? (perhaps uv degradation)? and the chain hooks coming loose?

Ann
Snubber: Depends on exactly what he means by "Inside the 20' snubber lines are also those rubber line shock absorbers"

Chain hooks: Bad seamnanship?
"This happens a lot, so I now tie them to the chain so they can't slip. Probably tied them poorly."
Old 22-11-2015, 12:00   #44

May I ask if you had set your anchor by backing down strongly under power? If the anchor had landed on some junk and simply skidded along the bottom you might have discovered it immediately?
quandary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 16:02   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Post 1: "A pair of 20' 3/4" rope snubbers hooked to the chain and taking the whole load to my bow cleats"

Post 32: "6' to water from anchor roller. Snubbers reduce that 6' to -2ft. Attachment point is actually underwater."

You have underwater bow cleats? That's some crazy design.

It's been said on many of your threads without getting a response, but I'd really like to see photos of your setup

Just re-read another post #17:

"I draw 2' with boards, rudders and engines raised."

So I guess those bow cleats are actually on the bottom of the hull.

That I've got to see.

(The old saw about a certain type of person needing a good memory comes to mind)

Tags
anchor