Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: can you lift your anchor by hand from 30ft of water
Yes 115 87.12%
No 17 12.88%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 11:47   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Hand Raising your Anchor

I just recently went with all chain on the main anchor after finding a really good deal on very slightly used anchor chain. Anyway, I still don't have an windlass. I use two 1/2" retrieval lines to hoist the anchor chain. One to a mast winch and a longer one to the main sheet winch.

I had thought long and hard about a manual windlass. But doing mostly singlehanded sailing, I did not like to be at the bow in a blow more then I need too. Using the rope hoisting lines puts me back in the cockpit where I can motor and steer, while raising the hook. Its not perfect, but it works quite well.

Being a shoestring sailor, a electric windlass just was not in the budget at all. The configuration of my anchor locker and the massive Sampson post support below, limited where a windlass could go anyway.

After setting the anchor, I set up retrieval lines with chain hooks on deck, so they are ready to go, if things get a little iffy. Saves time that way. Plus I think using the retrieval lines and sheet winches may be faster then a slow manual windlass.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:28   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I just recently went with all chain on the main anchor after finding a really good deal on very slightly used anchor chain. Anyway, I still don't have an windlass. I use two 1/2" retrieval lines to hoist the anchor chain. One to a mast winch and a longer one to the main sheet winch. ............................
This sounds like a good innovative plan. My greatest difficulty with doing something like this would be the mess on deck and being pulled into my chain locker. Here, on the East US Coast we pull up huge amounts of vile mud that requires a wash down pump or a person on the bow to clear the mud. I usually keep a boat hook on hand while I'm at the bow that allows me to shake the mud off the chain about every ten feet while the chain is still in the water. Some bow configurations don't allow for easy manual "chain shaking" to clear away mud, but my moves are pretty easy. Of course, this cleaning is automatic if there's a chop that is shaking everrything off the chain.
Old 21-04-2013, 12:37   #108

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Flying Cloud,

I'm trying to envision how this works. As you back down, how does the chain slide through the shackle / loop on the buoy until the anchor comes to the surface? I would think the buoy would stay near the boat end of the chain.
Ive seen these used on small power vessels w all (or mostly) rope rode. I think they would foul on chain.

Anyone ever actually use one of these w all chain rode?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:43   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Lots of mud in the SF bay too. I'm finding that using the short haul at the mast and a shorter mid haul with the long line, allows enough hang time in the water. The second haul is short as I have to untie the rolling hitch first from the snubber.

So far very little mud actually makes it on deck. Oddly enough, because it takes a little more time to retrieve then the old rope rode, the deck is actually cleaner now. Sometimes slow is good. Of course a strong-ish current helps too.

I was pleased to find how easy using two retrieval lines were to raise the chain. It does make it a bit untidy on deck for a bit, till I hand stow the rode. But then again, my anchor locker is pretty small / shallow and only has a deck plate for access anyway.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 12:58   #110
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
My Hunter 30 doesn't have a windlass. When going solo, getting the anchor up on a windy day can be the biggest challenge. It require lot of running back and forth.

I've never had to do it, but on a bigger boat if the manual option wouldn't work for some reason, I'd probably snorkel down to the anchor, clip it with some other rope and use some other winch on board.
If you're gonna go down anyway, why not use a lift bag? A technique we often used on the dive boat after deep dives when usually we were anchored in silt which was very difficult to break the anchor out of - but clearly this is only an option if there is a second boat handler onboard to pull the anchor in!

After seeing the students back onboard, a DM or instructor would go back down (NDLs allowing, of course) and simply put a little air into a lift bag which we would usually attach to the chain before dropping anchor. But clipping one on at the bottom isn't a problem.

The thing is, of course, to be sure you're well clear of both the anchor and chain when the anchor does start to lift!! Then about half way back up, vis permitting, you can join the hanging line again to continue the ascent. Of course, when vis was **** we'd have to rely on the Captain to come back for us!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 14:20   #111

I've hand raise my anchor a number of times. When the electric windlass sheared a roll pin. The worst was in 20 knots of wind during my ill fated attempt to join the Reid Stowe flotilla in New York:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: SO MUCH FOR THAT!
Though I'm thinking I really should try and do it more often if only for the exercise. I've got an idea for a homemade chain stop I hope to install and a mount for the washdown water nozzle to sit it on the bow. Both would make it a lot easier to do it.
Old 21-04-2013, 14:32   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

If I have some, very unlikely, failure with my manual windlass, then I'll use the "sailorchic34" plan. Lift bags are not in my inventory.
Old 21-04-2013, 15:06   #113

Boat: Skookum 53'

Back in the day, when I was charter fishing, we would just run the anchor rode through a 4" diameter galvanized steel ring, and attach it to a buoy, then when it is time to pull the anchor, you motor around in a widening circle and as the rode goes through the ring the buoy raises the anchor, keep your stern angle away from the buoy to prevent getting the line in your wheel, once the chain goes through the ring the anchor will stop on ring and the weight of the chain and the shank of the anchor holds it in the ring. You stop up current and coil the line up as you drift down and then the only lifting you do is a couple of feet from the surface of the water to the deck. Works fine in a couple of hundred feet of water, I can't imagine it not working in 30'.
Old 21-04-2013, 15:19   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Back in the day, when I was charter fishing, we would just run the anchor rode through a 4" diameter galvanized steel ring, and attach it to a buoy, then when it is time to pull the anchor, you motor around in a widening circle and as the rode goes through the ring the buoy raises the anchor, keep your stern angle away from the buoy to prevent getting the line in your wheel, once the chain goes through the ring the anchor will stop on ring and the weight of the chain and the shank of the anchor holds it in the ring. You stop up current and coil the line up as you drift down and then the only lifting you do is a couple of feet from the surface of the water to the deck. Works fine in a couple of hundred feet of water, I can't imagine it not working in 30'.
It's interesting to hear of these different strategies that apply best to different conditions. Since we usually anchor in about 15', I doubt if this is something we would ever do, but it's great to hear of these techniques!
Old 21-04-2013, 15:26   #115

Boat: Skookum 53'

As far as I'm concerned 15' is aground. We have 25' tides 4 times a day.
Old 21-04-2013, 15:30   #116
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: hand raising your anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My dear, you may be forgiven for not knowing much about chain stoppers, considering that your boat is so small as not to generate forces large enough to matter much. Take heart - I also do not have a chain stopper.

Good practice demands that you belay the chain to take the load off the windlass, even if you are using a snubber (which is sized in a way that it will break if the going gets tough). I use a piece of 1" nylon octoplait, made off to a cleat. You would also do just fine using a piece of rope big enough to resemble the strength of your chain. It's not a bad idea to do it, even on your boat. Windlasses are not designed to take these loads.

Thanks. I figured out it was designed to protect the windlass. My left arm is named "wind" and my right arm is named "lass." But honestly, I don't follow how what you're describing works. More than once I've had to let go of the chain to protect a finger, and ... if you'll pardon the pun ... it's a drag.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 15:32   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
A chain stopper is a device that allows you to pull the chain in and then when you release pressure holds the chain from going back out. There is one made by Anchorlift on this page. Here's one by Lewmar. I keep a short length of nylon tied off near the bow with a chain hook on it that I can slap on the chain if the strain comes on while pulling it up, but I also have a manual horizontal windlass and I usually just drop the chain into the gypsy if the strain gets too much.

Between the two of you, got it -- can do that -- thank you!!!
Old 21-04-2013, 15:36   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
As far as I'm concerned 15' is aground. We have 25' tides 4 times a day.
Sure, we cruise from areas with no significant tide to tides that are near 15'. We always account for draft and clearances. If I were to say that I anchor in 15', it goes without saying, this would be 15' at low tide! ......,but good observation!
Old 21-04-2013, 15:55   #119

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Thanks. I figured out it was designed to protect the windlass. My left arm is named "wind" and my right arm is named "lass." But honestly, I don't follow how what you're describing works. More than once I've had to let go of the chain to protect a finger, and ... if you'll pardon the pun ... it's a drag.
I feel concerned for you already suffering a "wind lass" injury. You really do need a windlass for safety sake.

Having something safe and reliable would increase your confidence to cruise further afield. I sense from your anchoring mishaps and limitations of your "wind lass" that anchoring is holding you back.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 16:07   #120
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I feel concerned for you already suffering a "wind lass" injury. You really do need a windlass for safety sake.

Having something safe and reliable would increase your confidence to cruise further afield. I sense from your anchoring mishaps and limitations of your "wind lass" that anchoring is holding you back.

Cheers

Sorry -- you didn't read accurately. The only reason I have an injury is that I didn't use the the mechanical help I have on my boat. I lack no confidence anchoring, but pay attention to advice from other and more experienced sailors. I learned some things here, but you'd be amazed what limitations I don't feel. Sorry, but you have read this wrong.

I have no problem pulling up the anchor, although I do have a way to make it easier. I got hurt because I tried to muscle up a very well set anchor instead of using the technology I had easily available to me. Ironically, the whole experience made me *more* confident -- I set that anchor very well.

Tags
anchor