Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2024, 12:41   #76
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Damaged anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I may make one at some point, I just haven't felt the need. If the strong point were behind the windlass that would definitely be the answer, but in my situation, the geometry works fine for either the dyneema strop or giving the chain a wrap (which might be faster, plus it's one less thing to store).
I don’t think the wrap is secure enough. Test it by releasing the clutch…

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 12:49   #77

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t think the wrap is secure enough. Test it by releasing the clutch…
I had the same concern the first time I tried it, but it held when tested. Keep in mind, this isn't a plain samson post, but a bitt with horns to enable a more secure wrap or cleat hitch (see below for the geometry of the setup).

When the anchor is stowed, I let the windlass keep it snugged into place and then use a separate small line looped through the shackle hole on the anchor to the bitt to ensure it stays in place if the windlass releases for any reason (also tested). Connecting to the chain for this would apply too much of a sideways pull to keep everything tight, as there's not a lot of distance between the end of the anchor shank and the windlass (see second picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200523_131220.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	287742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200608_090654.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	287743  

rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 14:50   #78
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I had the same concern the first time I tried it, but it held when tested. Keep in mind, this isn't a plain samson post, but a bitt with horns to enable a more secure wrap or cleat hitch (see below for the geometry of the setup).

When the anchor is stowed, I let the windlass keep it snugged into place and then use a separate small line looped through the shackle hole on the anchor to the bitt to ensure it stays in place if the windlass releases for any reason (also tested). Connecting to the chain for this would apply too much of a sideways pull to keep everything tight, as there's not a lot of distance between the end of the anchor shank and the windlass (see second picture).
I see. It looks like all you would need for a Dyneema chain stopper is a Prusik loop from Amsteel Blue. Just wrap it around the chain and drop the loop over the bitt

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 22:14   #79

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
6 anchors have bent during my anchor testing.
This is incorrect.

7 anchors (not 6) have bent during my testing.

The 7th, was the 22 pound Ankerplex that had it's rollbar bent backward twice during straight line pulls of about 700 pounds in soft mud. Once in my "Soft Mud" seabed and Once in my "Sucia Island" seabed.

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 19:29   #80

Boat: Young 42

Not many people use CQRs anymore, I guess. I myself switched to a Rocna after beginning to have trouble setting my CQR. The CQR was on my vessel when I bought her, and served me flawlessly for several years befire the setting problems began. One day I noticed that the tip was showing signs of corrosion, and upon closer inspection I saw a void in the space where apparently a hunk of lead used to be. I guess the weighted tip helped to point the anchor into the bottom which encouraged it to dig in and set. This was something I had not paid any attention to beforehand. As a stopgap (until I got my new Rocna) I had someone weld some steel into the tip, but it wasn't as effective.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 13:54   #81

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Not many people use CQRs anymore, I guess.
I still see a ton of CQRs out there being used, but also a lot of knock-offs. I suspect many of the copies are not as good and not as strong as the originals. Once properly set a CQR offers good holding with decent holding ground, but they are slower and harder to get dug in well. Still, I cruised with them for decades from Canada to the Caribbean and can only recall a couple of dragging episodes, and both in challenging conditions. OTOH, I deployed them in several hurricanes and they held well. They used to brag about their strength. I remember an ad showing a classic sailboat rearing way back on a bar-taught rode in heavy seas. Never had one fail from any damage, and even the point on mine only got a little rusty. Some people used to file the point sharp.
Old 22-03-2024, 15:04   #82

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Over time the hinge on the CQR gets worn and loose. That may be part of the problem too. Many years ago the boat I sailed had a big CQR. I found it worked fine if I had plenty of chain scope out, but then again that's true of all anchors.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 16:36   #83

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Over time the hinge on the CQR gets worn and loose.
On genuine CQRs they come from the factory quite loose, but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference because they always lay on their side on the bottom until buried and then the shank is hard against the mud and doesn't move. I've dove on many CQR sets and the hinge is rarely budging on a well set anchor. I suppose the hinge might wear more on the bow of a boat if the plow part isn't pulled up tight against the roller, but mine were never left like that for long.

Tags
anchor