Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2024, 21:42   #46

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Re: Damaged anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Mickeyrouse, could you please clarify which part of your anchor is bending? When you say "crown", I think you might be meaning to say "stock".
The old Danforth anchors were originally marketed as “ stockless” anchors. Since, in rough appearance and profile at least, the Fortress and their kind resemble a Danforth, I am using Danforth’s terminology. I realize that gives my age away. Maintaining that (dated?) convention of nomenclature, those hoary dudes referenced the “ crown” as that part which the bases of the flukes are welded to. Since no part of a Fortress is welded, it is that round rod (3/4” dia) prox 18” long or so, slotted to allow the flukes to fit into what I call a “crown”. It receives the flukes which are maintained by a couple of looped tabs retained by one 1/4” machine bolt on each side. Forgive my impurity of precision- I am impure in countless other ways besides. Correct nomenclature or not, the good Fortress folks seem to understand whenever I need a new, un-bent one..
Old 15-03-2024, 02:15   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
... Maintaining that (dated?) convention of nomenclature, those hoary dudes referenced the “ crown” as that part which the bases of the flukes are welded to. Since no part of a Fortress is welded, it is that round rod (3/4” dia) prox 18” long or so, slotted to allow the flukes to fit into what I call a “crown”. It receives the flukes which are maintained by a couple of looped tabs retained by one 1/4” machine bolt on each side. Forgive my impurity of precision- I am impure in countless other ways besides. Correct nomenclature or not, the good Fortress folks seem to understand whenever I need a new, un-bent one..
Perhaps, it's been your "stock" that bends. ➥ https://fortressanchors.com/anchors/...anchors/parts/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 04:53   #48

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
?? The Sundeer 64’s sold new for under $500k.

You have the wrong boat in mind, probably an Oyster, HR or Contest etc.
Hi, Jedi,
That's true but in today's world a new Hunter 50 is just shy of $500K. What would a new Sundeer 64 cost?
Rognvald
Old 15-03-2024, 05:02   #49

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Depends on the quality and application. I have a Bruce Forged anchor as my main, with a couple others for more specialized use.
Over the years I've seen a number of Bruce copies that were cast, not forged, those anchors were more prone to deforming since they didn't have the same structural strength. Same goes for many other copies and cheap anchors I've come across over the years.
In many cases I see anchors that are undersized for the application, fine for day cruising to your local destination, but not suited for long term use in heavier applications. Proper sizing, proper application, and buying a quality anchor makes a difference.
Our Bruce never let us down while cruising, in some extreme weather. I'm not advertising for Bruce anchors but just pointing out the difference in buying a quality product in general. There are many high quality anchors out there these days, for a multitude of applications, just choose wisely, I've seen too many cheap anchors fail and deform. Most anchors I've seen sold with new boats were usually a joke, suited for day cruising destinations only, as long as you were returning to the dock at sunset they're fine but I wouldn't bet my life on them.
Ours is a 40,000lb boat, which we've been through a number of tropical storms with, and haven't had an issue. If buying today I might procure a different anchor since some newer designs are always improving, but I'd still look for a proven product.
We lived on the anchor, only using moorings when forced to, since I don't trust most moorings in other countries. We also carry 350' of chain, with an additional 250' of 1' rode that can be added to the existing chain if needed.
Proper gear doesn't end with the anchor.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 05:03   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Again, no right or wrong answer here. My hope is that people use the anchor data that I present to help make their own decisions.
I did, it cost me £70 to sell a roll bar Rocna and buy a new Vulcan. I haven't looked back and consider the £70 money well spent.

Thank you.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 05:25   #51

Virtually every Bügel anchor I have seen that has received significant use has a bent fluke. It is particularly vulnerable to this because the fluke is simply a flat plate, and gains no stiffness from its shape.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 05:40   #52

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Virtually every Bügel anchor I have seen that has received significant use has a bent fluke.
I think this is a Bugel seen in Panama, but it seems to have survived relatively unscathed. However, with that fat plate I wonder how well it digs in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0068.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	287634  
Old 15-03-2024, 07:03   #53
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Hi, Jedi,
That's true but in today's world a new Hunter 50 is just shy of $500K. What would a new Sundeer 64 cost?
Rognvald
Unfortunately they don’t sell them anymore but the ones that come on the market are mostly still under $500k

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 11:03   #54

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Unfortunately they don’t sell them anymore but the ones that come on the market are mostly still under $500k
Hi, Jedi,
I don't think I'll find one at a garage sale . . . or for sale at Salvation Army!!
Beautiful boat! Rognvald
Old 15-03-2024, 13:12   #55

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Depends on the quality and application. I have a Bruce Forged anchor as my main, with a couple others for more specialized use.
Over the years I've seen a number of Bruce copies that were cast, not forged, those anchors were more prone to deforming since they didn't have the same structural strength.
The original Bruce anchor was not forged... it too was cast, but of a higher quality steel and with post casting heat treatment. The one that I bought in around 1988 was made in Belgium and was clearly a casting, not a forging.

Jim
Old 15-03-2024, 13:38   #56

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The original Bruce anchor was not forged... it too was cast, but of a higher quality steel and with post casting heat treatment.
Even if you disagree with some of Peter Smith's pronouncements, he does have useful information on his website. He declares the original Bruce as cast:

Quote:
The design is cast as a single piece, lending it to inferior production processes which undercut the high quality heat treated casting used originally by Bruce Anchor Co. Today, the genuine Bruce is no longer produced, and only poor quality copies remain available.
https://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-a...on-anchors.php
Old 15-03-2024, 15:56   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Hi, Jedi,
I don't think I'll find one at a garage sale . . . or for sale at Salvation Army!!
Beautiful boat! Rognvald
Same builder as yours!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 18:26   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I think this is a Bugel seen in Panama, but it seems to have survived relatively unscathed. However, with that fat plate I wonder how well it digs in?
That looks like a homemade Bügel. This was (AFAIK) the first of the roll bar anchors, and it was a major step forward in anchor design when it was introduced. It was never a huge commercial success because anybody who could cut steel plate, weld, and bend tubing could make one for next to nothing. The supplier was left selling only to people (or boat builders) who prioritized expensive (i.e. profitable) shiny stainless steel over actual performance.

It is a nice anchor, and it sets well. Because the fluke has to be REALLY thick to resist bending, the result is a relatively low surface area per unit weight, so the holding power is lower per weight. If you were to size it based on surface area instead of weight, I’ll bet it would still be a serious competitor to any other design.

I have to give kudos to the designer of this anchor. They basically opened the door to the current generation of modern anchors. Once people realized that significant improvements could be had over the CQR and Bruce designs, a lot of innovation followed, and we have all benefited.
Old 15-03-2024, 18:38   #59

Quote:
A Sundeer 64 built in 2024 would be priced at WELL over $1m, closer to $2M. And that is assuming a build quality of a Group Beneteau boat.

A custom on-off which is closer to the market the Sundeers were aimed at would command a significantly higher price.
Old 16-03-2024, 01:57   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
A Sundeer 64 built in 2024 would be priced at WELL over $1m, closer to $2M. And that is assuming a build quality of a Group Beneteau boat.
A custom on-off which is closer to the market the Sundeers were aimed at would command a significantly higher price.
Quote:
1994 Sundeer 64: US$375,000 ➥ https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...er-64-8392422/

According to: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/sundeer-64/
There were only 10 Built, bteween 1993 ➛ 1965

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor