Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2013, 22:07   #16

Re: Cheap chain stop snubber hook

there are a couple of nice looking dedicated chain grippers Dave and ages they give the balanced grip on the chain that's flat stainless piece from sea dog does not look heavy duty enough the others to polish stainless around piece that is dam expensive has anybody just tried the shackle ?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 22:26   #17

when you have had the hook fall off , is that why you were setting it or while in use ?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 23:00   #18

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
So why don't you guys just have 1/2" three strand (or whatever size for your displacement) from the boat and roller hitched to the chain? The only fancy stuff I'm doing is tying an extra half hitch on the tail of the rolling hitch to keep it locked up.
Amen Bro ! Sometimes the cheap simple method is also the most reliable ....dropped my share of " hooks" before coming to my senses .... Stonefloat
Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:57   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
So why don't you guys just have 1/2" three strand (or whatever size for your displacement) from the boat and roller hitched to the chain? The only fancy stuff I'm doing is tying an extra half hitch on the tail of the rolling hitch to keep it locked up.
That's what I do most of the time, but I use 3/8" three strand and have never broken it. I've told the story before how I kept one 3/8" snubber for more than a decade, left it on deck always in the sun, just to see if it would ever die. Finally, the line did break right where it attached to an ordinary chain hook with a bowline, so I retired the piece of line.

Which brings up my second point--a chain hook is useful to also have, if you mostly use the rolling hitch to tie on the snubber. I like to have a short snubber tied up near the roller with the chain hook to use to take the load off the windlass when backing down on the anchor--you don't really want a long snubber tied on when doing that as the stretch is counterproductive, and you also don't want to put a snatch load on your windlass. I can just slap the hook on the chain, let out a little extra chain so it is in a loop, and then back down.
Old 14-04-2013, 06:27   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Which brings up my second point--a chain hook is useful to also have, if you mostly use the rolling hitch to tie on the snubber. I like to have a short snubber tied up near the roller with the chain hook to use to take the load off the windlass when backing down on the anchor--you don't really want a long snubber tied on when doing that as the stretch is counterproductive, and you also don't want to put a snatch load on your windlass. I can just slap the hook on the chain, let out a little extra chain so it is in a loop, and then back down.
That's the exact same thing I do.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 06:44   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Since I sail cats, that is my view point.

Hooks plates can certainly come off, if not while setting, while jogging on the bottom while the tide or wind shifts. I've had the both happen both with hooks and plates lacking a locking plate (I guess I anchor in shallows a lot). However, there are plates where this cannot happen.

The former was home-machined for no material cost and 30 minutes labor. I've not used and forget the price of the later.

Sail Delmarva: The Ultimate Chain Hook for Catmarans...

I've certainly used knots to grab a line hundreds of times--all of the types discussed--And I would trust a knot/loop further than I would trust a chain hook. I've never had one slip or jam. So Why do I use the plate? Habit, I guess.
Old 14-04-2013, 08:57   #22
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Guys can I suggest? Not only this hook is designed to stay on, it also is rated to be a strong as the high test chain of the same size...
Greg
Mantus Chain Hook | MantusAnchors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quarterPage-CruisingWorld2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	59184  
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 14:05   #23

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
My thinking wasnt so much the attachment at the chain. I really like how the amsteel with the kleimheist pulls on the chain. Where I find the issue is 3 strand doesnt do well at the chock when getting worked hard.
Hence the idea to have dyneema or such come through the chock/hawse then let the plaited or strand line act as a shock by being tied back to the spring cleat.
My mooring is set up similar. except the 3 stand is in the water and the dyneema is bridled off it. All the nasty chafe is on the dyneema which has a high thermal failure and doesnt work up the heat that 3 strand does. New England ropes sells a mooring pendant that is similar
I have not tested this set up in a good blow yet. See no reason why its not better then my old set with a 3 strand or plaited line at the chock.
I like the mantus chain hook one of the best in design. I dont like the way the chain gets loaded with most hooks. So prefer the kleimheist so far.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 16:09   #24

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Guys can I suggest? Not only this hook is designed to stay on, it also is rated to be a strong as the high test chain of the same size...
Greg
I currently use the Wichard chain hook that has a little retaining pin. The Mantus Chain Hook looks very appealing and I'm trying to talk myself into getting one to mess about with.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 17:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Greg
A bit of feedback. I tried to buy off your website, there is no provision there to sell/ship to Australia. Go2Marine sell your product, but want $121 to ship to Australia. Amazon list you as the seller, no sales outside US. At that point I gave up trying to buy. Maybe Defender or suchlike may start marketing your product?

Meanwhile, think I might drop down to my local machine shop and see what they would charge to make one out of SS. Nice concept, thanks.
Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 17:43   #26

Boat: PETERSON 44

Not the point here but what does that do to the chain and its galvinizung? How do these chain hooks load the chain?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 22:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
My thinking wasnt so much the attachment at the chain. I really like how the amsteel with the kleimheist pulls on the chain. Where I find the issue is 3 strand doesnt do well at the chock when getting worked hard.
Hence the idea to have dyneema or such come through the chock/hawse then let the plaited or strand line act as a shock by being tied back to the spring cleat.
My mooring is set up similar. except the 3 stand is in the water and the dyneema is bridled off it. All the nasty chafe is on the dyneema which has a high thermal failure and doesnt work up the heat that 3 strand does. New England ropes sells a mooring pendant that is similar
I have not tested this set up in a good blow yet. See no reason why its not better then my old set with a 3 strand or plaited line at the chock.
I like the mantus chain hook one of the best in design. I dont like the way the chain gets loaded with most hooks. So prefer the kleimheist so far.
Gotcha. I've never been in anything bad enough to cause chafe problems to that degree, typically I just pay out snubber line a few inches here and there to move the rub point away or add some leather or something.

I don't know if you ever read up on Moondancer (I think that's the name). The guy lost his boat in a Fijian hurricane. Basically his snubbers kept melting. His recommendation was to have the bitter end secured (not normally, but in conditions like that) to the sampson posts via amsteel or other non-stretch material.

I've got 30' of amsteel just for that reason. I hope I never have to see how it works.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 05:58   #28

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I installed a bow eye just above the waterline that I can run a snubber from for rough conditions. I figure since there is nothing to chafe on and most of the snubber will be in the water, it will remain cool enough. I have read of this melting phenomena and seen some pictures, but so far have not had the problem in winds up to and over 100 in a couple of hurricanes I have been in. It takes some pretty extreme conditions to get to that point. For hurricanes I rig multiple snubbers at different lengths so that if one goes there is an immediate back up right behind it that takes up the slack without having to rig something during the storm, though I have never had the primary let go.
Old 15-04-2013, 06:56   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Mantus makes a very good chain hook. The stainless steel version is pricey but you can buy the galvanized version on Amazon for 20 bucks.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 06:58   #30

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Thinwater, I really like the look of that red one, and will see if a local stainless shop can make one up.

Is yours stainless and what is the purpose of the spare hole?