Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 07:04   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cheap chain stop snubber hook

found nice cheap. err,inexpensive chain hooks here in mexico--zihuatenejo ferreterias have em ---lol--for only a few pesos. so i now use a chain hook i got cheap and 3 strand i had on board and a low priced snubber bridle is on my boat--helps here in swellcity, mexico....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 07:29   #32

Boat: Able 50

I've been using these for years and they have never come off. Only $10.

Name:   001204.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  8.6 KB
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:12   #33

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I've been using these for years and they have never come off. ...

Attachment 59250
Maybe just me, but occasionally while deploying snubber the snubber line has gone slack and the hook slips off - then need to haul chain and the snubber back in and try again. If done right this doesn't happen, but I have done it wrong I guess many times.

No problem with hook once everything is setup and in place, it is just when getting it all in the water that I have issues.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 08:16   #34

Boat: Celestial 48

By the way, regarding Amsteel, I found the following great video on doing a Brummel lock splice (for a loop) that you might find useful. Video in on Marlow D12 but am pretty certain the splice is exactly the same on Amsteel.

Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 08:53   #35

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Maybe just me, but occasionally while deploying snubber the snubber line has gone slack and the hook slips off - then need to haul chain and the snubber back in and try again. If done right this doesn't happen, but I have done it wrong I guess many times.
If you use a bridle as I do on the cat, and the water is shallow, the hook may touch bottom and slip off. I'm looking for one with a retaining mechanism like the Wichard or the home made one as posted by Thinwater.
Old 16-04-2013, 09:33   #36

I don't see why anyone's chain hook should be in the water. That would greatly increase the chances of it coming off.
Old 16-04-2013, 10:12   #37

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I don't see why anyone's chain hook should be in the water. That would greatly increase the chances of it coming off.
When it starts to blow you need a longer snubber. Many people don't put out enough snubber, which can put significant additional strain on your anchor and boat. In severe conditions, it might make sense to have 50 feet or more out there. I've seen some studies that under certain conditions a snubber or a long length of nylon connected to your anchor chain can reduce peak loads by 50% in certain conditions.
Old 16-04-2013, 10:25   #38

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Cats usually anchor in shallow water. We are anchored in 5 or 6 feet of water almost all of the time.
Cat bridals in shallow water will just drag on the bottom.
You really need a bridal to chain hook with a locking pin on it, so as not to come loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridal.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	59306  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:25   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my snubber protects my sprit, which takes a whopping load when there is swell or weather--there fore i have a bridle with hook. makes point of effort lower and less wear and tear on my sprit. in big winds, the water line snubbing emulation creates much less bullwhip action with my chain--is the length of chain from snubber to anchor that is important,is the working load.... the length between the snubber and my sprit is the bit that keeps my boat from self destructing and does essentially nothing besides lay there.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:15   #40

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Even on a mono if it goes dead calm and you're in say 6 feet of water it would be easy for the chain hook to become dislodged on the bottom unless you shorten up the snubber. Tie on the snubber with a rolling hitch and a couple of half hitches for security, and it won't fall off.
Old 16-04-2013, 11:50   #41
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Another answer for folks that don't trust a rolling hitch (a rolling hitch has never failed me on chain), another options is a prusik hitch on a loop (related to a rolling hitch but cannot work loose). On chain only 1 wrap is needed. WM started carrying an over priced version.

Prusik Knot | How to tie the Prusik Knot | Climbing Knots

If you cannot tie or splice what you need:
Runners, Daisy Chains, Etriers and Gear Slings: Runners at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase.

I've used these too, attaching a bridle to a fiber rode and for connecting dual anchor rodes. Very easy and useful around the boat for many temporary rigs.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for climbing gear

_____

I'm sure chain hooks work fine for those that use a short snubber ONLY to take the chain load off the roller. For the rest of us, there are other answers.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
When it starts to blow you need a longer snubber. Many people don't put out enough snubber, which can put significant additional strain on your anchor and boat. In severe conditions, it might make sense to have 50 feet or more out there. I've seen some studies that under certain conditions a snubber or a long length of nylon connected to your anchor chain can reduce peak loads by 50% in certain conditions.
So run the snubber down the deck. If you want it longer put it through a block and back to the bow.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:34   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
So run the snubber down the deck. If you want it longer put it through a block and back to the bow.
Which results in a lot of movement (chafe) in the chock, which can be treated with chafe gear, which needs repositioned if the snubber is moved. We've added a block (which will see 2x peak mooring load--might have trouble finding something to attach that to!).

Though the notion is intriguing, isn't a robust snubber attachment just simpler?
Old 16-04-2013, 12:35   #44

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:

I not sure I want to imagine what my snubber would look like if it is stretching 1-2 feet through my deck chock with your setup ....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:11   #45
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Back in San Diego I made a pact with myself that I would master some knots so I spent maybe a dozen evenings sitting there tying knots all over the cabin for a half an hour a pop trying to get it right.

I still get screwed up when I need to tie one "backwards" or upside down.

Do you have a smart phone or an Ipod? Put "Grog's Knots" on it. I couldn't get a bowline right to save my life, but I had this animated guide, and eventuallly I got it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote