Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2024, 10:57   #1

chain type

I am taking delivery of a new Nautitech 44 and it comes with 70 m of galvinized chain 10mm and a 20 Kg delta anchor.

my Delivery broker has suggested upgrading to a bigger anchor (which I agree) and stainless steel chain in 80 Meters. He relates the galvanized chain will rust in Caribbean waters and not be under warranty. I think warranty from a chain manufacture is worthless anyway and I am inclined to keep the chain and just upgrade the anchor.

Any thoughts? I believe the replacement chain would be 70 chain

don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 11:26   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: chain type

Keep the chain, upgrade the anchor. I wouldn't waste money replacing perfectly good galvanized chain without a reason. Certainly not just to get shiny stainless (and stainless chain that will hold up in warm salt water without crevice corrosion concerns is rather expensive).

A 20 kg Delta is both significantly undersized for that boat and not a particularly good anchor, so that should definitely be replaced.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 11:59   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Many better choices than the Delta, look at Vulcan, Sarca Excel, Spade. 20kg probably too small.

Stainless steel chain isn't ordinarily a good choice and I am at a loss as to why the broker would suggest it. Galvanized chain will last a few years in the Caribbean with regular use and is far less expensive. Stainless steel chain is weaker and is susceptible to crevice corrosion which is difficult to find by inspection, and is prohibitively expensive in longer lengths. Ordinarily it's used only in short lengths where appearance and staining are major concerns. For example I have a 10' length of stainless steel chain on my dinghy anchor.
Old 15-02-2024, 13:08   #4

McMaster sells 3/8" 304 SS rated 3,500# for $36.37/ft
5/16" grade 43 galvanized rated 3,900# is $6.05/ ft (Defender @$4.27)

You can replace the galvanized six times and still be ahead (ignoring shipping). We used galvanized chain on our circumnav, mostly in the tropics, and did not notice any significant deterioration. Fintry's galvanized chain was twenty years old when we sold her -- mostly in Boston area -- also with no significant deterioration.

That looks like a no brainer to me.

Jim
Old 15-02-2024, 13:48   #5

The only clients I have ever recommended SS chain to had poorly designed chain lockers with insufficient vertical fall, so galvanized chain would castle and clog. The smoother stainless chain flows better.

It an extremely expensive fix for a poor design, but better than rebuilding the bow lockers! For anybody else, stainless anchors and chain is the mark of inexperience, or more money than sense.

We have been cruising the Bahamas and Caribbean for 4 years since our chain was last regalvanized, and there is not a spot of rust on it. Now it is possible (likely?) that the builder of your boat has cheaped out on the chain as much as the anchor. Cheap and crappy galvanized chain will rust in a season or two.

20kg for a 44 foot cat? Wow… That’s not even marginally small. That’s just a token. No wonder nobody wants to anchor downwind of a catamaran in a blow!
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 15:49   #6

thank you all for the reply

yes, I will end up getting a propersized Rocna Vulcan and will just keep the chain. Realistically if I need 100meters of scope I can have rope for the last 30 meters. I think even in the south pacific those days will be few in between. If need be I can always replace the chain after a year or two before heading to the South Pacific.

thanks to all
Old 15-02-2024, 21:51   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, it proves nothing, but we've been cruising in the South Pacific since 1990 carrying ~80 meters of chain and have never been caught short with that amount.

And the longevity of the galvo is dependent to a great degree on the nature of the bottoms in which you anchor. Some are far more abrasive than others and will shorten the time for regalvanizing. (Also important is the quality of the original galvo... often not so good on new chain).

Lastly I'll add my negative comments on stainless chain, unless made from 2205 or a similar duplex alloy... even more expensive, lots more!

Jim
Old 16-02-2024, 03:07   #8

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Why did you not get the Vulcan when you ordered the boat?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:00   #9

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

Definitely upgrade that anchor.

Any modern spade type will outperform that old design with ease. Lots of great options.

I vote use the chain you have if it fits your windlass. Upgrade it when the time comes.
Old 16-02-2024, 08:58   #10

Tin tin

that is a good question. Ordering a brand new boat has been an education and yes I have paid the dumb tax a few times. One": I ordered my boat during the pandemic run when boats were tough to find. I did that because it fit my time frame of retirement. Sure I wish I hadn't but...

The boat maker has an upgraded anchor option but I did not take it because my "friend" who is joining me for large amounts of the trip is obsessed with Rocna anchors and wanted one of the old Rocna's . I have pushed for a Vulcan based on SV Penelopes testing and he seems satisfied because it is a "Rocna". there was no real price savings buying after I took delivery or before.

My mistake was I should have insisted on 100m of chain in the original contract. at this stage my friend wants me to throw out the 70m of chain and get 100m. I am pretty loath to do that.

I hope that explains some of the background.

don
Old 16-02-2024, 12:40   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
My mistake was I should have insisted on 100m of chain in the original contract. at this stage my friend wants me to throw out the 70m of chain and get 100m. I am pretty loath to do that.
You can always add the extra length of chain with a joining link. Unless the chain is hi test the link will be as strong and despite all the nay-sayerss they have been successfully used by many of us for many years.

Jim
Old 16-02-2024, 15:08   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You can always add the extra length of chain with a joining link. Unless the chain is hi test the link will be as strong and despite all the nay-sayerss they have been successfully used by many of us for many years.
There are a few paranoid sailors who back it up with a piece of dyneema spliced in a loop.

I will take this opportunity to point out that I have never encountered a report of an anchored vessel adrift because the chain parted, either at the joining link or elsewhere.
Old 16-02-2024, 16:05   #13

Thank you Jim and Jammer. my first instinct was to just add chain. Someone told me you can do that but I know you can buy joining links so. It is good to hear somneone echo the sentiment that chain can be joined. My instinct was that it is possible. After all the anchor is joined to the chain with a shackle and the shackle is joined to the swivel and the swivel to a chain. So if all those links are OK, I am unsure why some people think a joining link is suddenly a large failure poiint.
On a funny note: I had independently thought of having a back up soft shackle for the joining link. LOL.

thank you for the input.

don
Old 16-02-2024, 17:31   #14

I meant to type " I was told you CANT add chain". not you CAN
Old 17-02-2024, 05:04   #15

Two additional thoughts -- we went around the world with 200' of chain on the main anchor -- Sweetwater is sensitive to bow weight and I decided to use rope for additional length of needed. That was never a problem. So, your 70 meters probably won't be a problem.

Fintry's 5/8" stud link chain came in 15 fathom shots, so it has a joining link every 90 feet. If joining links are good enough for the Royal Navy, they're good enough for me.

Jim

Sweetwater - Swan 57 sloop - circumnavigated 1995-98
Fintry - x Royal Navy Fleet Tender 2003-22 20k miles including x-Atlantic The Fleet Tender Fintry
Morning Light -- Webbers Cove 42 trawler 2021- 23
Going back to sailing now that Morning Light is sold.