Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 15:11   #16

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Any role for a Fisherman style anchor?

They serve as a nice model for your tattoo artist.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 17:34   #17

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
They serve as a nice model for your tattoo artist.
Only if fouled
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 17:57   #18

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Bristol 35.5, currently planning for Cuba/NW Caribbean in 6-8 months. Maybe thru the Canal and further afield eventually.

My anchor armory includes a 45 lb Mantus bow anchor, 25 lb Mantus stern anchor, a FX-23 Fortress back-up and a Fortress FX-55 storm anchor. I also have an old folding stock fisherman anchor, weighs about 37 lbs, sitting in the garage. It is certainly out of fashion, but I was thinking it might have some value as it is completely different from my others. Pain to stow, not sure if it will even fit in the cockpit locker.

Thoughts?
Lin and Larry Pardey certainly thought so.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 19:05   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We carry a 180 pound Fisherman that knocks down into components. 1-1/2 inch diameter pins puts it together. Rides in the bilge. I keep it for insurance - last resort. It would probably require a halyard to get it back on board.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 20:03   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Take all but the big fortress and sell them for whatever you can get, and then take the same weight and buy a big Ronca (or other SHHP of your choice). You will be carrying one 175lb anchor instead of four/five smaller ones, which saves space, plus you will have far better holding power in all conditions.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 12:21   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I have one for rocks that I use about once a year mine is 4 pronged
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 16:54   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Take all but the big fortress and sell them for whatever you can get, and then take the same weight and buy a big Ronca (or other SHHP of your choice). You will be carrying one 175lb anchor instead of four/five smaller ones, which saves space, plus you will have far better holding power in all conditions.
He already has 2 Mantus anchors, the 45# is probably more anchor/boat than 90% of the yachts have. I have a 125# Mantus on a 44' 40,000# boat and it is far more than adequate. I also have a Lofrans Falcon windlass, it is adequate but it doesn't yank it out of the bottom.

He doesn't say how much windlass he has.

Nor does he say where he is intending to sail.

I have fisherman anchors for each boat, although the 70# for the 44 is a bit meger. I don't have them aboard because I've been cruising the Chesapeake and other muddy bodies. When I go back North they will be included.

If going somewhere it's use is likely I would sub out the big danforth for the fisherman.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 21:03   #23

We used them in Turkey in the 80's as a stern anchor when going bow in at a dock.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 21:55   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
We used them in Turkey in the 80's as a stern anchor when going bow in at a dock.
Jack, would you care to comment on why you chose the fisherman type anchor for that application? It seems an unusual practice!

Jim
Old 20-04-2016, 06:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Jack, would you care to comment on why you chose the fisherman type anchor for that application? It seems an unusual practice!

Jim
We were sailing in flotilla with the Yacht Cruising Association. That was the anchor provided for that purpose.

It worked well. It collapsed for easy storage.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 06:46   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Sanibel Sailor,

Glad that you have two of our anchors as part of your arsenal.

Here's an image of a Fisherman's anchor along with two diminutive Fortress models (FX-37 and FX-125). This anchor adorns the front entrance to our office /warehouse facility in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

photo hosting sites

Previously, this anchor was kept out in the front lawn of our late owner's nearby home, which as you might imagine, made it a big hit with the neighbors......

I believe that the fisherman's-type of anchor is considered to be the best option for grass, weeds, and rocks. Yours is a keeper!

Be safe,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 07:53   #27

Boat: Currently in between

Sailing is always about trade offs, right? Trade weight for.....???

But sometimes "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" isn't it?

Brian, many props to the lightweight Fortress aluminum anchors! They are probably responsible for keeping more 1st mates on smaller boats (boats without a windless) than any other piece of equipment. We had a 31' Chris Craft Stinger, off-shore power/race boat and the 1st mate had to climb up the dash, step over the windshield, crawl along the cabin roof and pull up a 30 lb fluke anchor.

One day the 1st mate looked at me, blinked those beautiful eyes and said "I'm done, you pull the anchor and I'll take the throttles or figure something else out!" I asked about a member of the Swedish Volleyball Team; that didn't go over very well. Next day I picked up one of the 7 lb Fortress anchors, put 10 ft of chain on it and the 1st mate not only stayed but kept doing her duties as "anchor wench."

In sandy Gulf of Mexico conditions it never, ever pulled. Granted it was a day boat and never did an overnighter but all involved thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Old 20-04-2016, 08:36   #28

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Many years ago, I fouled the anchor rode a of a charter boat on an anchor like that in Spa Creek at Annapolis. Bad Thunderstorm during the night, did not drag, found out why in the morning. Thought it was my superior anchoring technique. Half a day to lift and disentangle. 26 footer with wimpy winches, and the only anchor midway thru a week long cruise. I marked it and reported to the Harbormaster who seemed disinterested.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 08:54   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Sailing is always about trade offs, right? Trade weight for.....???

But sometimes "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" isn't it?

Brian, many props to the lightweight Fortress aluminum anchors! They are probably responsible for keeping more 1st mates on smaller boats (boats without a windless) than any other piece of equipment. We had a 31' Chris Craft Stinger, off-shore power/race boat and the 1st mate had to climb up the dash, step over the windshield, crawl along the cabin roof and pull up a 30 lb fluke anchor.

One day the 1st mate looked at me, blinked those beautiful eyes and said "I'm done, you pull the anchor and I'll take the throttles or figure something else out!" I asked about a member of the Swedish Volleyball Team; that didn't go over very well. Next day I picked up one of the 7 lb Fortress anchors, put 10 ft of chain on it and the 1st mate not only stayed but kept doing her duties as "anchor wench."

In sandy Gulf of Mexico conditions it never, ever pulled. Granted it was a day boat and never did an overnighter but all involved thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread!
SV Bacchus,

Thanks for your kind words about our product. You sound like a very philosophical man and one of respectable wisdom and humor.

I have heard the term "anchor wench" used previously for the female first mate, and it can be a bit dangerous if/when uttered in their company.

I have commented that our aluminum-alloy anchors have saved many backs and marriages during our 30 years in business, and I am delighted that your lady with the beautiful eyes was smiling once again while assisting with the anchor retrieval after a Fortress was brought aboard.

As our late founder once said, "If Mom is not happy aboard....then no one is happy!"........and so this is obviously a top priority for any mariner.

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 09:22   #30

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

Homemade fisherman anchors are all we ever used on our boat in the Philippines for eight years and we anchor out for 4 months of the year. One thing I think that helps the anchor not fowl on its self when you have a current or wind shift is the use of all poly floating rode. At least it seems ours doesn't fowl on its self. We also almost always set two bow anchors and so far have not dragged with this system. Did however buy and use a Fortress and feel it holds like glue in the mud even when I don't change the fluke angle and a lot easier to haul by hand.
For us it seems our homemade fisherman work good for an overall anchor but then who but us sets two anchors off the bow. We also use it as a stern anchor when anchoring bow on to the pier.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, anchor, Fisher