Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 10:44   #1

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly
Question What stainless steel anchor chain in warmer waters

I have a problem deciding what anchor chain to use…does anyone have any idea?

I want 200ft of chain (and then rope) to mostly only having to use chain when anchoring.

The galvanized type will more easily give trouble in the chain locker, so I’m into stainless steel
type…and here’s the problem that perhaps anyone out there has any experience or knowledge about:

Buying a SS chain in Sweden means buying a 1.440 – AISI 316L alloy chain…which is perfectly
suitable for Swedish conditions, with water temperature not exceeding 25 degrees Celsius,
which it never is in Sweden.

For warmer waters, 25+ up to 35 degrees C, the 1.4462 – AISI 318LN alloy is recommended, since
it has a better rust resistance in warmer waters. Since our plan is to sail in warmer waters, this one
would be the logical choice…except that the price is 2.5 times higher than the other SS chain...which
itself is quite expensive.

So, what I’m wondering about is how the cheaper SS chain actually reacts in warmer waters?
Anchoring for long time is not good for any chain, but will the cheaper chain do alright also, or will
I get in to problems that I don’t want?
Do you have any experience or knowledge in this?

All input appreciated.

Rolf
Read more at Yachting and Boating World Forums
Old 18-04-2016, 23:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: What stainless steel anchor chain in warmer waters

Stainless steel survives by making a thin oxidized coating. After the coating, corrosion stops. In the absence of air, such as underwater, the wrong alloy dissolves or pits at a rapid rate. All ss alloys have trouble but the more expensive ones have other elements like chrome, monel and nickle to help the corrosion problem. Because those alloys are not in high demand the price is higher. Because the price is high they're not in high demand.
For example, my boat has monel prop shafts and they're 74 years old.
I'd use galvanized. It's worked for centuries. I think India invented the process a thousand years ago.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 23:58   #3

Boat: no boat any more

this
Stainless steel anchor chain DIN 766, Marine INOX anchor chain, Duplex anchor chain, tested anchor chain, anchor chains for leisure boats and yachts
tested tops in a kraut magazine (very thorough tests with x-rays of the welds, ...)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 03:05   #4

Boat: S & S 43'

I prefer to have a chain that I can see deteriorating (rusting) than one where I cannot see the problems. A nice, shiny ss chain can let go at any time, without warning, whereas galv. gives me a good (even if brown and staining) warning. I don't like the rust but I wouldn't like to see my home on the rocks - the lesser of 2 evils.
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 04:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

It's all a tradeoff.

Stainless is lovely in the chain locker.

But is subject to crevice corrosion, and it fails in a brittle and generally unexpected way -- see the destructive testing by Vyv Cox.

I would personally use only galvanized chain. If you use G40 with a reserve of strength, then the chain has extra "bulk" to allow it to survive some rusting and some damage while retaining adequate strength. As someone above mentioned, you can see problems developing, before they become dangerous.

The downside is that this is heavy, compared to G70 chain of a smaller size, and this is a significant downside. G70 is nearly the same cost as you go down one size, and you save a lot of weight. But there is less "bulk" to protect you in case it starts to rust or gets damaged, so it won't last as long, meaning higher total cost of ownership.

Stainless would be my last choice for anchor chain, even if it were the same cost as the two galvanized solutions, and since it's significantly more expensive, that's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. The drawback of galvanized vs stainless is merely that you have to flake it with your foot to prevent it piling up in the chain locker.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 05:07   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly View Post
The galvanized type will more easily give trouble in the chain locker,

What kind of trouble would that be?

-Chris
Old 19-04-2016, 05:16   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
What kind of trouble would that be?

-Chris
He can speak for himself, of course, but galvanized chain piles up in the chain locker in a pyramid, which can topple over and jam the chain. Or even worse, if the chain locker is not high enough, can pile up under the windlass and jam the spurling pipe.

The remedy is to knock it over with your foot, or flake it as it comes in. On my boat this isn't too bad because I can stand with one leg on the divider inside the chain locker, and flake with the other. On some boats, this can be a PITA.

Stainless chain is very smooth and doesn't pile up like that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 05:52   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I've had the same piece of 316 stainless chain on my anchor for more than twenty years. It still looks great. I don't spend a lot of time with it in the water so I'm not the best example. I am in warm waters.

I have found out one thing I like very much about stainless chain, mud doesn't stick to it. It comes up clean every time.

The draw backs that I see are the price and the strength. It's about the same strength as BBB or G3 chain.
Old 19-04-2016, 10:30   #9

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's all a tradeoff.

Stainless is lovely in the chain locker.

But is subject to crevice corrosion, and it fails in a brittle and generally unexpected way -- see the destructive testing by Vyv Cox.

I would personally use only galvanized chain. If you use G40 with a reserve of strength, then the chain has extra "bulk" to allow it to survive some rusting and some damage while retaining adequate strength. As someone above mentioned, you can see problems developing, before they become dangerous.

The downside is that this is heavy, compared to G70 chain of a smaller size, and this is a significant downside. G70 is nearly the same cost as you go down one size, and you save a lot of weight. But there is less "bulk" to protect you in case it starts to rust or gets damaged, so it won't last as long, meaning higher total cost of ownership.

Stainless would be my last choice for anchor chain, even if it were the same cost as the two galvanized solutions, and since it's significantly more expensive, that's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. The drawback of galvanized vs stainless is merely that you have to flake it with your foot to prevent it piling up in the chain locker.
I agree with all this.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 11:29   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Stainless anchors and chain are pretty to look at on the Mega Yachts.
But that's about either is good for, eye candy.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 15:31   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Like most of you, I've been leery of s/s chain for anchoring, with all the usual worries about pitting and crevice corrosion. With chain now being available in duplex alloys, like the ones from Ketten-Walder linked above, I wonder if those worries are still valid?

There are certainly advantages to s/s, but the price will rule it out for most of us, even if the technical issues have been solved.

Jim
Old 20-04-2016, 09:47   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
He can speak for himself, of course, but galvanized chain piles up in the chain locker in a pyramid, which can topple over and jam the chain. Or even worse, if the chain locker is not high enough, can pile up under the windlass and jam the spurling pipe.

Hmmm... Guess I never experienced any of that.... Probably our deep chain locker and a nice, straight fall helps...

-Chris
Old 21-04-2016, 04:49   #13

Boat: no boat any more

i've seen quite a few boats where it was either "stainless chain" or "50' of galvanised+rope", as simple as that
double u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, steel, water