Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2011, 08:58   #1

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Anchor Trip-Line Techniques

I am just wondering what techniques people are using for anchor trip lines which can be used to free a fouled anchor?

I personally have never used one but having just upgraded my anchor at some expense I want to increase the odds that I will be able to keep it. Any thoughts?
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:00   #2

Re: Anchor Trip-Line Techniques

After one untangles the tripline from the prop and rudder....
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:12   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one untangles the trip line from prop and rudder AFTER the damn thing pulls anchor up in mid of night and makes boat drag into rocks......remember-- tides change and so do winds and boats go in circles at anchor and trip lines do just that-- trip the boat. my best entertainment has been watching those with trip lines foul up and fail. good luck. keep it simple.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Not sure what this is called in the yachtie world, but you could use what is known in the offshore industry as an oilfield chaser.
If your anchor is caught, make a "ring" of shackles around the rode, with enough diameter in the "ring to slide over the shank.
Attach a length of line about 1.5 x water depth, allow ring to slid down the anchor chain. Use dink to tow the ring to the anchor, and hopefully it will slide along shank to the flukes. Helps if some one on the moored boat engages slow astern to keep the chain anchor chain straight while getting the chaser to the anchor.
Once on the anchor, pull like the proverbial....
This works on 20 tonne stevpris anchors, should work on a boat anchor
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:17   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
After one untangles the tripline from the prop and rudder....
Put a weak link in the tripline (I use a small cable tie) if it fouls anything the weaklink will snap.
It needs to arranged so that the rope prior to the tripline can be reached at least from the dinghy so you can use the tripline for its intended purpose.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bowman 57 - Aleria

Hello ADMPRTR

A question like that can, of course evoke quite the dissertation, and I am not sure what daddle's comment refers to...

First and foremost, we would advise always using a tripline when you anchor. It has two significant advantages: 1 - it will help you retrieve your anchor when it is fouled. 2 - it will inhibit other boats from anchoring too close and directly upwind from you.

A trip line is simply a rope with a buoy at one end with the other end tied off to the crown of the anchor. We advise people to add a small weight about 4-6' from the buoy to weigh the rope down so that no errand boat fouls the rope in their prop. The other advice is to use a small buoy and to write your boat name on it so that nobody thinks it is a mooring...

Should your anchor become fouled you can employ a 'trip line after the fact'. first you bring your rode in taut, then you loop a length of chain around it and jiggle it down the rode and then down the anchor shank to its crown. if you can get it there, you may then loosen the rode and pull up the anchor. Failing that you can either go swimming to free it, or lose the anchor & rode.

Happy Hooking

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tripline-sm.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	29665  
goincruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:26   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I've never understood how people tun over trip line buoys, probably the same people that run over the floats on crab and lobster traps..

Helped a boat in the anchorage that complained about trap floats, dove down and found at least 5-6 trap lines wrapped around the shaft..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:27   #8

i have never seen a real time cruising boat with a trip line. is easier to just overdrive the anchor rode and let nature pull loose the anchor as you go--is more controlled.
Old 16-07-2011, 09:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bowman 57 - Aleria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have never seen a real time cruising boat with a trip line. is easier to just overdrive the anchor rode and let nature pull loose the anchor as you go--is more controlled.
not sure where you have been cruising, but there are most certainly many boats out there using trip lines. The only "cruising boats" not using them would be charter boats...
goincruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goincruisin View Post
not sure where you have been cruising, but there are most certainly many boats out there using trip lines. The only "cruising boats" not using them would be charter boats...
rofl.
i have NEVER seen a trip line on an experienced cruiser's boat. NEVER. only in sd in anchorage when storm comes and the newbie's boat drags because of it and goes into rocks. best entertainment i have seen to date. sorry about the loss of boat, but was operator error as boats swing and trip lines cause loss of holding.
oh yes--i do have over 10,000 miles under my belt. err, keels..mine and othr peoples boats inclusive since age 7 yrs. is a looong time to NOT see any experienced sail cruisers using them.
the least experienced folks i have witnessed doing ANYTHING on a boat have been charter sailors..LOL using the term sailor loosely. also very entertaining.
Old 16-07-2011, 09:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
I've never understood how people run over trip line buoys...
I don't understand how I've done it either I've always been asleep at the time. Maybe I should always stand an all-night anchor watch when it's completely calm and the boat drifts around.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 09:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
I've never understood how people tun over trip line buoys, probably the same people that run over the floats on crab and lobster traps..

Helped a boat in the anchorage that complained about trap floats, dove down and found at least 5-6 trap lines wrapped around the shaft..
The most common scenario is the trip line getting caught by the boat that deployed it. A change of wind will see the boat drift over its own trip line.
Other common situations are boats entering the anchorage at night and not seeing the trip line buoy or boats swinging at anchor to rest above the anchor of another yacht.. If you anchor is caught by its trip line it will be pulled out because there is close to a 1:1 scope. A weak link will solve the problem breaking and stoping the anchor dragging.
These situations are so common I would not deploy an ordinary trip line.
You can lead the trip line back along the anchor rode as an alternative , but it will not always release the anchor.
Old 16-07-2011, 10:00   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rofl.
i have NEVER seen a trip line on an experienced cruiser's boat. NEVER. only in sd in anchorage when storm comes and the newbie's boat drags because of it and goes into rocks. best entertainment i have seen to date. sorry about the loss of boat, but was operator error as boats swing and trip lines cause loss of holding.
I only use a trip line sparingly as they restrict the anchorage for other boats, but in an area with a lot of mooring chains or rocks, where it is not practical to freedive to the anchor, they are an evil necessity.
They are seen more commonly in this part of the world on the ends of anchors belong to experienced cruisers. Sometimes because they are jaded by the number of charter boats that anchor on top of them and pick up their anchor on departure
Old 16-07-2011, 11:01   #14

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design

Not sure what this is called in the yachtie world, but you could use what is known in the offshore industry as an oilfield chaser.
If your anchor is caught, make a "ring" of shackles around the rode, with enough diameter in the "ring to slide over the shank.
Attach a length of line about 1.5 x water depth, allow ring to slid down the anchor chain. Use dink to tow the ring to the anchor, and hopefully it will slide along shank to the flukes. Helps if some one on the moored boat engages slow astern to keep the chain anchor chain straight while getting the chaser to the anchor.
Once on the anchor, pull like the proverbial....
This works on 20 tonne stevpris anchors, should work on a boat anchor

Great idea!

Makes perfect sense and will solve problem "WHEN AND IF" the anchor gets stuck.

I will add this idea to the arsenal of anchoring techniques...

Thanks!
Old 16-07-2011, 11:17   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

In 20 years of living on the hook, I see trip lines used by less than 1% of the boats, usually by people in their first season of cruising. However, I sail in warm and clear waters, and am usually able to swim and see how to unwind my chain and anchor from rocks and coral. I've never had to put on a tank to free my anchor from the rocks--it has always freed up by shortening scope and motoring the boat in the right direction (I did put on a tank to get another boat unstuck, but only once)..

I also have personally observed boats which have gotten into trouble with triplines.
One boat used too short a scope, and the tripline buoy pulled the anchor out at high tide-->boat on beach.

A couple of times I have seen triplines fouled by another anchor rode.

The only time I buoyed my anchor was off the Opera House during the millennium fireworks--that was crazy--soft bottom in 25 knots--fending off boats left and right.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor