Hi Feral, I saw in one of the threads that you are in the process of refitting a S&S Catalina 38 for offshore cruising. I'd be interested in the details of what you've done and costs.
1. Headroom when stepping into the cabin is 5'10" (I know cause I banged my head at 5'11"). They claim 6'3" headroom.
2. How to install windlass? I saw a manual windlass just aft the chain locker. Another guy built a platform inside the chain locker.
3. How did you address the tankage? I saw a reference to Ronco 46 gallon bow fuel tank. Could probably do additional water tank under stbd settee.
4. Propane vs. CNG. The C38's have CNG tanks in the stern lazerette. Do propane tanks fit in the back?
5. I understand most of the mid 80s C38's have blisters. Did you fix?
6. Seems like keelbolts need replacing. Also, pre 88s had a plywood keel-step that rots out. Did you fix?