Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2024, 08:07   #121

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542
Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

This one is going to be good. 😁😅

I predict 15-16 pages of comments before it peters out
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 08:15   #122

Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

Loose the hoop!

I prefer the Spade. Have had great anchoring with it all over much of the world. The hoop can get fouled. I think that the Ultra has had good results too. High tip weight is a critical component. No need for hoop if you have Hi tip weight. It seems that the Rockna is the best “bang for the buck” anchor today. And I do agree. I always go at least another size up than recomended no matter the anchor. If also like the Spade because of the way in deploys and retrieves. So clean and no hands necessary. No twists either. Always comes up and seats itself correctly every time. And no cumbersome clumsy hoop in the way.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 08:16   #123

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I don't get it. The original Bruce is a great anchor. A game changer when it came out. I used one for years. But anchor design evolved and a whole lineup of superior anchors became available with twice the holding power. If your bow configuration permits it why would you not mount a new generation anchor of the same weight that offers twice the holding power? The whole question is a moot point as it is becoming harder and harder to even find an original Bruce bigger than 20kg.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 08:41   #124

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Loose the hoop!

I prefer the Spade. Have had great anchoring with it all over much of the world. The hoop can get fouled. I think that the Ultra has had good results too. High tip weight is a critical component. No need for hoop if you have Hi tip weight. It seems that the Rockna is the best “bang for the buck” anchor today. And I do agree. I always go at least another size up than recomended no matter the anchor. If also like the Spade because of the way in deploys and retrieves. So clean and no hands necessary. No twists either. Always comes up and seats itself correctly every time. And no cumbersome clumsy hoop in the way.
Aye! Agree with you completely.

Dragged on a delta - last generation of anchor. Replaced it with a regular Rocna. Great performance.

Bought another new to me boat that came with a Delta and I dragged the first windy afternoon (almost lost my boat). Got a Rocna Vulcan (no hoop). No dragging.

Bought another new to me boat… came with a CQR (dragged again on a lunch hook so not bad). Bought another Rocna Vulcan and no dragging.

And like you I went a size over what was recommended. A little more weight = a better night’s sleep 😴😎👍

P.S. when I tried to sell the Deltas and the CQR no one wanted them. Had to give them away
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 09:14   #125

Boat: Pearson 386

No Fuss, Too smaller anchor what? Something got lost in translation. Speakum bigger English or get um help.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 10:18   #126
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I don't get it. The original Bruce is a great anchor. A game changer when it came out. I used one for years. But anchor design evolved and a whole lineup of superior anchors became available with twice the holding power. If your bow configuration permits it why would you not mount a new generation anchor of the same weight that offers twice the holding power? The whole question is a moot point as it is becoming harder and harder to even find an original Bruce bigger than 20kg.
Well maybe the new gen anchor does not perform well in muddy sand or in soft mud, while the Bruce performs in all seabed types.

Or maybe because the Spade or Viking quickly lose their galvanize and rust, or construction isn’t as strong as one would wish.

A winning anchor design needs to excel in all bottom types, it needs to be very strong and it needs adequate level of finishing and not too expensive. That’s a tough call because we see Spade failing for a bottom type and so-so quality of construction and Rocna failing for multiple bottom types and Viking doing good at all bottom types but lacking in construction quality.

A Vulcan? Maybe, but I remember some off putting info during Panope’s testing.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 10:56   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Steve's testing showed pretty good results for the Vulcan. Not the top performer in any one seabed, but really good consistent results across a range which is good for the huge range of different sea beds in the English Channel.

It was one of the reasons we switched from a Mk 1 Rocna (10kg) with roll bar to the Vulcan (12kg). A nearly half price offer by Amazon UK if we pre-ordered was also a major incentive. Several of us jumped at the offer. In use it just works.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocnas.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	286223  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 11:41   #128

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 11:49   #129

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'll also agree with the Vulcan being a good, but not necessarily perfect choice. My 33kg / 73lb example has been a good performer, but it's not the top mark in the SV Panope testing. It definitely shows a couple of weak points, mostly in soft mud. Personally, I haven't found a bottom soft enough for setting behavior or holding power to be an issue, but based on the testing, they do exist out there. That said, by the time things get that soft, nothing is going to out-perform a big Fortress or Danforth.

Based on the tests, the updated Rocna MKII looks like a good performer, and like the original Rocna and the Vulcan, it's a sturdy build (and all 1 piece). The Mantus (both models) and Viking also test very well, but they're all multi-piece construction and don't have the same "bulletproof strong" impression to the design. The Sarca Excel is a sturdy build and generally a good performer, but it doesn't appear to test any better than the Vulcan in the soft mud scenarios.

Note that in the most recent test results charts from Panope, soft mud is the only place where the Bruce tests close to the better new gen anchors. It's only a little worse in cobblestone, but it's significantly worse both for holding power and behavior in the other bottoms tested. It's certainly far better than the claw knockoffs and tested overall better than a Delta as well.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 12:50   #130
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

So what did put me off on the Vulcan? Was it the veering test, not resetting? I guess I’m gonna have to rewatch the video. The Vulcan looksike it will fit the roller that was designed for a Bruce?

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 12:59   #131

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
So what did put me off on the Vulcan? Was it the veering test, not resetting? I guess I’m gonna have to rewatch the video. The Vulcan looksike it will fit the roller that was designed for a Bruce?
The Vulcan does have a significantly shorter shank than some of the rollbar options, so if that's one of the fit constraints, it'll definitely do better than some others.

The Vulcan scored ok, but not great in the soft mud holding and not so good in the soft mud reset test. And it was a bit worse for both in the other soft mud seabed Panope tested (listed as Sucia Island). It wasn't great in the "cobble sand" either, but other than the Mantus M2, nothing rates particularly well there. The rest of the categories for the Vulcan paint it in at least a fairly favorable light.

Now, in your case, I remember you having a particularly large Bruce. The Vulcan tops out at the 55 kg / 121 lb size, so it might not be a good option for you just because you can't get one that's as big as you might want. But some of the other well rated options do come in larger sizes. The end of the Rocna MKII video has the most current charts in it (which are the ones I was referencing here).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 13:03   #132

Boat: Furtuna 37', 1980

You are wrong. Mine is better and bigger than yours! ;-)
Roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 14:01   #133

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Maybe irrelevant, but I have found the rollbar fantastically handy for moving the anchor off the roller and around the boat. I take my main anchor off the roller whenever I tie to a mooring, and the rollbar makes the process of moving the 45lb anchor much easier. That's another place where a normal-sized (not excessively heavy) anchor wins out. Here in New England many of us keep our boats on swinging moorings and they are available in many harbors for overnight rentals, so we are constantly moving the anchor off and to a spot where it can't chafe the mooring pendant.
Old 12-02-2024, 14:16   #134

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
A winning anchor design needs to excel in all bottom types, it needs to be very strong and it needs adequate level of finishing and not too expensive. That’s a tough call because we see Spade failing for a bottom type and so-so quality of construction and Rocna failing for multiple bottom types and Viking doing good at all bottom types but lacking in construction quality.

After listening to everyone a year ago, reading thinwater's comments, reading Panope's comments, and watching his videos, I concluded that a Vulcan was the best choice in my situation. There are other good choices, Sarca Excel, Mantus M2. The available reports suggest that anchors without a roll bar ("loop" in the OP), reset somewhat more reliably.
Old 12-02-2024, 14:49   #135

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Anchors I have dragged:

60 lb CQR (drags on its side)
40 lb Danforth (current change)
44 lb Genuine Bruce (dozens of times--no weed penetration, low holding power)
60 lb Buegel (fluke area too small)
60 lb Manson )hoop clogged with weed)
FX-37 Fortress (wouldn't set in firm sand)

There have been other dragging incidents due to t-shirts, pieces of pipe, etc.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor