Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2024, 07:47   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

I cruised for years using a combination of CQR and Danforth as my dual bower anchors. It worked great, most of the time. Covered a broad range of substrates and anchoring conditions.

I agree that Danforth/Fortress are in a different class. I still carry one of each. In fact, the large Danforth is my backup anchor. I carry an over-large Fortress as my storm. But my bower has been a Rocna for many years now. It covers almost the same range of anchoring conditions the previous Danforth/QCR did, which is one of the strengths of these so-called "new gen" anchors.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:55   #62

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: All modern anchors with loop, based on the Bugel are the same in performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG View Post
Gotta say I've been pretty happy with my Rocna with an all-chain rode. This is the 2nd boat that I've used this setup on and it works in just about all conditions. Have been anchoring up and down FL/GA and now am in the Bahamas.

40' cat with Roacna 25, have been tempted to go up to the 33 but just can't justify it based on the performance we've witnessed.
Same for me, had the 25 Rocna for past 10+ years, and never any drag. Still considering upgrading for 33 kg...and why...just because I have seen so many other L380 owner using the 33
Be Free Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 12:14   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For those talking about a Danforth / Fortress, as much as other designs are somewhat comparable on a weight basis, the Danforth / Fortress is not as the design makes it so large for a given weight. It's just a drastically different design, and in my mind, kind of a special purpose one. In the situations where it works well, it works REALLY well. But it doesn't work in as wide a range of bottoms as modern designs and doesn't always handle direction changes well, so it's not well-rounded enough for a primary anchor.
I agree with your statement.

In my experience, a steel Danforth holds VERY well in medium to semi-hard bottoms once they set. They have trouble setting in hard bottoms unless you sharpen up the tips with a grinder. I know some fishermen who do that . In soft bottoms they set fast & hold well. These anchors are known for uncertainty when trying to reset themselves after a tide or wind direction reversal. They do not side load well. The cheaper ones will bend when you try that. The high tensile ones are more difficult to damage in this way.

The aluminum versions need a softer bottom to set. They tend to skip across semi-hard bottoms without digging in. They do very well in soft bottoms, especially the Fortress, if you adjust it for the wider fluke angle. The same reset & side load concerns apply.

The aluminum anchors are very nice to handle. If you need to hand set and retrieve an anchor several times in a day without a windlass, they are a godsend. They are my first choice for kedging.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 14:10   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Roll Bar Anchors are the stuff of nonsense
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 14:23   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
The thousands of us who have successfully used these anchors for many years wonder what you mean by this vague and unsupported statement.

Jim
Old 09-02-2024, 14:55   #66

Quote:
Why would anyone say something like this? If its just a straight out troll or flame bait, why bother?

if alternatively you hold a view that in certain conditions and contexts, a roll bar anchor may not be the best choice, then articulate that opinion and have a rational discussion about it.

Otherwise you just get dismissed & ignored on the assumption that you are the former.
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 15:02   #67

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
So is wasting anchor weight on lead ballast rather than fluke area
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 15:12   #68

From someone who’s used a huge range of anchors and weights with varying degrees of success and failure, I’m impressed by the Bugel, this one has never failed to stay solidly engaged with all the sea beds I’ve presented it with.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 06:19   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've been a diehard Bruce anchor fan for 35 years and I wonder how much these new anchors is a business scheme to drum up new anchor sales. Seriously, there are many anchor designs on the market available to the boater these days.

Your old time boater likely already has an array of anchors at his/her disposal, but a newbie boater is likely to want the latest and greatest or whatever the sales people sell him/her on.

We havn't seen the end of this. I can almost guarantee some or other new anchor design is bound to hit the markets soon enuff.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 07:07   #70

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've been a diehard Bruce anchor fan for 35 years and I wonder how much these new anchors is a business scheme to drum up new anchor sales. Seriously, there are many anchor designs on the market available to the boater these days.

Your old time boater likely already has an array of anchors at his/her disposal, but a newbie boater is likely to want the latest and greatest or whatever the sales people sell him/her on.

We havn't seen the end of this. I can almost guarantee some or other new anchor design is bound to hit the markets soon enuff.
Well, every new product has a business plan. But there’s tons of objective evidence out there on new gen anchors and why they generally perform better.

Just because cotton sails worked for folks in the past doesn’t mean there aren’t improvements to be had with new sail materials and design ��

I do think the 1 anchor where hype exceeds performance is the Rocna original.

I used to have a Bruce and I appreciated its setting ability but the slow drag in soft mud during squalls got tiresome. And it’s difficulty setting in grass was challenging also.

Having cruised for my first 25 years with CQR, danforth, and Bruce as my bowers, there’s no way I’d trade my Mantus for any of these even if you offered twice what I paid. I’d rate it as the best $ for impact upgrade anyone can make to their boat.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 07:21   #71
Marine Service Provider

I've often opined on this, but will do so again.

"How to set an anchor" is just as important as anchor design.

I've seen countless boaters come into an anchorage and just willy-nilly throw an anchor...any anchor overboard, followed by a mish-mash of chain/nylon rode in any combo in any location that is available to them.

It's not wonder that many of them drag anchor for any reason.

Any new boat purchaser is unlikely to be given " how to anchor" lessons.....they are left to their own devices to figure it all out. And an anchor...any anchor is likely already on the boat, normally chosen by the boat dealer.

Old time sailors have had the luxury of time to sort thru' the available anchor selection and have likely dropped the hook many times in many different places to come to an arrangement they like or prefer.
Each old time sailor invariably has his/her preferential setup unlikely to be the same as the next depending on the region the most likely are to sail.

Still, knowing how to properly deploy and set an anchor is key to any successful anchoring endevor.
Old 10-02-2024, 07:56   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
"How to set an anchor" is just as important as anchor design.
Old time sailors have had the luxury of time to sort thru' the available anchor selection and have likely dropped the hook many times in many different places to come to an arrangement they like or prefer.

Completely agree. I've often opined () that old-time sailors probably have an advantage over newbies because we began our anchoring life with this crop of poorer anchors: CQR, Delta, Bruce, etc. It took real skill to get these to set, and dig in well, so cruisers learned how to do these tasks properly.

The newer designs (almost all of them) are better at setting and better at digging in. That's why it's often possible to just "willy-nilly throw an anchor." It works ... a lot of the time.

It annoys me to see anyone do this, and I'm happy to be far away from these folks. Sometimes they start to drag -- but not often, and certainly not as often as if they were using an older-design.

Older designs still work (I still carry a Bruce ... it's a fine anchor). But generally speaking, the newer anchors work better. They set easier, they dig in better, and they generally produce greater holding force.
Old 10-02-2024, 07:59   #73

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Older designs still work (I still carry a Bruce ... it's a fine anchor). But generally speaking, the newer anchors work better. They set easier, they dig in better, and they generally produce greater holding force.
And there are generally fewer situations that make them not work. Plus, many of the newer designs are more tolerant of short scope than many of the older designs were, which can enable use of some anchorages that are otherwise off limits (particularly ones that are fairly deep but with limited swing room).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 08:07   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
And there are generally fewer situations that make them not work. Plus, many of the newer designs are more tolerant of short scope than many of the older designs were, which can enable use of some anchorages that are otherwise off limits (particularly ones that are fairly deep but with limited swing room).
Agreed. They work in a wider range of substrates and conditions. Whereas my bower arrangement use to consist of two anchors (CQR & Danforth), which I would routinely switch between, depending on the situation. Most new-gen anchors cover almost the same range.

Newer anchors set, dig in, and hold better, so we can often get away with shorter scopes. I dislike doing this though; problem my old-tymey learnin' that's been drilled into my head .
Old 10-02-2024, 08:22   #75
Marine Service Provider

There should be a rule.

No opinions about anchors on this forum until the poster has a certifiable grey beard.

Tags
anchor