Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 05:37   #61

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Horrible "non spill" gas cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I'm not sure where in Canada someone has found the old type, but here in Alberta, NO WAY. We only have the stupid new type..

I hate them, I hate them sooooooooooo much...

A jiggle siphon hose has been my solution! Of course it only works if you can get the can higher than the fill location.
This has been my solution also, i discovered those stupid cans when i was delivering my Gemini home last summer and picked up one of those jiggle siphons along the way at the suggestion of one of my crew, i was skeptical but i am amazed at how well it works. On the other hand i have another one i bought after arriving home and it is useless so they are not all created equal. I have a lot of old gas cans i was going to get rid of but not anymore.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:02   #62

Boat: Oyster 53

Possibly the cheapest solution, even cheaper than the Jiggle Hose, is to siphon from the tank using two hoses and a rag. The first hose goes from the 5-gal tank into the gas or diesel tank you are trying to fill. The second hose goes from your mouth to the 5-gal tank. Place a rag over the hole in the 5-gal tank where the two hoses enter to keep the air from coming out as you blow into the tank. The air pressure will instantly send fuel down the hose to your main tank, the tank you are trying to fill, thus beginning your siphon. Obviously, the 5-gal tank needs to be higher than your fuel tank.

I always keep the hoses separate as for some reason I don't like the taste of diesel. I would also use a different "fill" hose for gas than for diesel.

I hate the new stupid bureaucrat tanks more than words can easily express and the only satisfaction I can derive from them is the sure knowledge the people who mandated this and those who designed them lead worthless, sh#tty lives. And I don't.

Dhillen
Old 21-10-2014, 06:15   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i siphon from jerry jug to tank. when i have a tank.. lol..is next project..replacement of fuel tankage.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:28   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've always poured, as I have a bunch of old cans still and don't have the CARB nozzles, but the siphon is sounding like it makes more sense as I usually spill just a little tipping the can over to the fill port on deck, I put my finger over the nozzle, but there is a little distance between finger off and nozzle in the port, add a little wave action and the siphon sounds like a better idea.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 07:03   #65

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Last winter, before departing for the Bahamas, I had to replace both my gas deck jug and the external fuel tank for my OB. That meant buying not only the ventless jug that everyone is complaining about, but also a ventless external tank. I had to resort to the funnel technique to fill the tank, but then the tank had its own problems. Once I got to Marsh Harbor I purchased the good old vented jug and tank. Everything work fine for the rest of the cruise. For the time being I am golden, but I will be back in the EPA/CARB hell when those containers need to be replaced.

I did purchase an earlier CARB-compliant deck jug for diesel in 2005 before departing for Europe. That jug actually worked pretty well. It had the spring loaded valve on the spout and it could be inverted without spilling any content. I just inserted the spout in the open fill pipe for the main tank and the weight of the jug opened the valve, which stayed open until all of the fuel was in the tank. It actually work well when pouring diesel fuel into the tank in mid-ocean. Unfortunately I think that tank was built by the now extinct Blitz company and is no longer available.

Here is a picture of that jug: http://www.svsarah.com/Sailing/Atlan...ng%20Lines.JPG
It is the bright yellow tank at the far right edge of the picture.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 08:20   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
That's what we do. We have a syphon with a bulb on the top to get it going. Easy and clean. Beats trying to hold a full 5 gal tank upside down while working an idiotic mechanism.

And yes, it is CARB's fault. They put out a poorly written requirement. When a compliant device is all but guaranteed to splash gasoline and the goal was to eliminate gasoline introduced into the environment, there is something wrong with the requirement.
Siphoning works particularly well on the Gemini as its easy to sit the can above the tank fill and the boat doesn't heel over. I also like not having to hold a heavy gas can up while its filling the tank. To be honest i have the horrible carb compliant jugs to thank for discovering the jiggle siphon as if it wasn't for the frustration and desperation i would probably still be busting a nut pouring from the old style.

Steve.
Old 21-10-2014, 08:33   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Siphoning works particularly well on the Gemini as its easy to sit the can above the tank fill and the boat doesn't heel over. I also like not having to hold a heavy gas can up while its filling the tank. To be honest i have the horrible carb compliant jugs to thank for discovering the jiggle siphon as if it wasn't for the frustration and desperation i would probably still be busting a nut pouring from the old style.

Steve.

This is what we use.

Yeah, on the gemini, I can have the tank in the cockpit on the seat and I use my leg to brace it in place if we are out on the water, while the syphon does the work.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 09:52   #68

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Jeg's sells the 5 gal utility jugs for $25.99 with free shipping either from their website or from Amazon. The hose, fittings and cap can all be bought at the local home improvement store.

These have 2 handles, makes it a lot easier to hold it while pouring.

Thanks! That second handle must beat the hell out of hugging the dripping can.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:05   #69

Quote:

This is what we use.

Yeah, on the gemini, i can have the tank in the cockpit on the seat and I use my leg to brace it in place if we are out on the water, while the syphon does the work.
Ah, yes, i have one of those that i used to use for filling a kerosene heater years ago, i am now using the rattle siphon and am amazed at how good it works, i have been aware of them for years but always thought they were a gimmick, but desperation and a crew member who already had one led me to one of those great discoveries you make in your lifetime. Its pretty easy to store when im done with it as i just coil it up and put it in a gallon Ziploc bag.

Steve.
Old 21-10-2014, 13:17   #70
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I am not sure if this is just a ridiculous U.S. thing or if the rest of the world has to suffer with this crap, but does anyone know where to get a non-carb/epa "no-spill" gas can. Gas cans like the one pictured below are all you can buy anymore and they are absolutely horrendous. You need 3 hands to pour them, they pour at a ridiculously slow rate, and they leak something horrible which kind of defeats the whole purpose to them.

So does anyone know where to buy or order a tradional style old school plastic gas can?
"If you like your gas can, you can keep your gas can"
Ha ha ha ha.....
Yet people still think the Government hacks for some reason can plan their lives better than they can for themselves when the boobs in Government can't even make a good gas cap.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 13:45   #71

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
...And yes, it is CARB's fault. They put out a poorly written requirement. When a compliant device is all but guaranteed to splash gasoline and the goal was to eliminate gasoline introduced into the environment, there is something wrong with the requirement.
Actually, the goal was to prevent gasoline vapor from being introduced into the environment, and I think they meet the specs. Spilling liquid gasoline wasn't part of the brief. Oh wait, the spilled liquid evaporates? Turns into vapor?...

In the end, they way they are really supposed to operate is to exchange the headspace vapor in your main tank with the liquid in your gas can. The assumption is that the headspace in your tank is already fuel saturated air, and if you put that vapor in the can while putting the liquid in the tank it's all sealed in a closed loop system. In order for that to happen there has to be an air (vapor) tight seal between the jug and your fill tube. For a car that meets federal specs for fill tube assembly that can be done (at least in theory) and is the basis for the design. For pretty much any other situation (like all the ones where you might actually want to use a gas can) the things are useless and don't even begin to meet the intended goal.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 21:28   #72

Boat: Camano Troll

You can make a spout with vinyl hose. Rather than waste time trying to cobble up a suitable vent (the fuel doesn't come out unless air can get in), go to ebay and search for "gas can vent".

They are cheap so I used two for each jug.
Old 22-10-2014, 02:28   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Actually, the goal was to prevent gasoline vapor from being introduced into the environment, and I think they meet the specs. Spilling liquid gasoline wasn't part of the brief. Oh wait, the spilled liquid evaporates? Turns into vapor?...

That was my point. Once you spill a few cups of gasoline on deck, it quickly evaporates and results in a lot more gasoline vapor released into the atmosphere.

Even in a car fuel tank at a gas station, you aren't eliminating anything during fuel transfer. That fuel saturated air in the gas tank, is expelled to make room for the liquid gasoline you are adding.

This is just a poorly written mandate but it's easier to say the jugs must self seal than it is to say they must poor easily with minimal chance for spillage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 03:25   #74

Several weeks ago I purchased a new diesel jerry jug at a hardware store and neither I nor the store manager could remove the end cap on that spring loaded spout. He ended up prying that thing off and then removed the spring in the spout. Once that was done I asked if there was now anyway to seal the cap for transport. There was not any solid caps available and the sealing relied on that little end cap which had been pried off. I ended up buying the jug along with a modified spout and vent kit that was sold beside the jug. However, there was still no solid cap available for sealing the jug so I had to use a new original spout with the end cap that had not been pried off for sealing the jug for transport.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 08:42   #75

The simple replacement spouts are available in Canada. Since the new cans don't have a vent hole the spout comes with a small upper tube to allow air into the can. Very simple and works great, if a little slow, no where near the efficiency of the old cans with the vent cap though. If you are between a rock and a hard place I can probably source a spout for you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dogpound Sven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib