Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 11:10   #46

Re: Horrible "non spill" gas cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Dumb question but how hard is it to pour these into a car?

At the end of the season I usually pour the whats left into my car to get rid of the old gas. Lately I have been hand pumping it with a siphon which isn't fun either. Does the hose and shape of the jug allow you to "easily" pour these into a car or is it still a hassle?
These are very easy to pour into a car or other small fuel tank, like a motorcycle. The fitting at the end fits perfectly into the unleaded filler neck on a car. The clear hose allows you to see fuel flow and as long as you don't tip it up too high, covering the vent with liquid, they flow pretty fast.

I always drill out the vent hole to the largest size possible, the original holes are pretty small or partially clogged with excess plastic. Then I clean out the jug, making sure there is no plastic debris from mfg or my drilling.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 11:17   #47
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
To get the old style spouts just go to Amazon and search for "fuel can spouts".
I have one old style spout. But guess what....it will not screw onto the new jugs - different threads.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 12:03   #48

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Just bought one of these:

Best $11 I ever spent. Replaced the unsafe "safety" spout on one gas can, added a vent, and used one of the spare vent caps on an old can that had lost it's vent cap. Now I have two gas cans that can actually pour gas without gurgling and splattering all over!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 12:07   #49

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
I am not sure if this is just a ridiculous U.S. thing or if the rest of the world has to suffer with this crap, but does anyone know where to get a non-carb/epa "no-spill" gas can. Gas cans like the one pictured below are all you can buy anymore and they are absolutely horrendous. You need 3 hands to pour them, they pour at a ridiculously slow rate, and they leak something horrible which kind of defeats the whole purpose to them.

So does anyone know where to buy or order a tradional style old school plastic gas can?
I just bought one of these spouts the other day as a replacement for the old style spout in one of my small containers that I use to fill the outboard. The spring in the spout is way too strong. I'd never be able to hold it steady against the round plastic fill neck of my outboard while pushing it hard enough to depress the spring. I'm taking it back to O'Reily's Auto Parts.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 13:42   #50

Go to Amazon and search for the "No-Spill" can cans.
They work great.

Mike
PleiadesC36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 13:58   #51

Quote:
I found these online. They are meant for "racing" only. Has anyone used this style can by VP before?

Yes I have those. They are heavy wall and have a separate vent but are not cheap
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 14:10   #52
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
----

No one responded to this. Are there material differences in construction? West Marine sells a similar model. It seems to be an old-style can in a different color. Perhaps it is not low-permeability, but that doesn't matter if used for hauling. I don't believe conductive plastics are used in gas cans, and at least the older versions I have appear to be completely identical (I have both in my shed).

Personally, I had some Blitz CARB cans that worked pretty well, but Blitz was sued out of business (turns out that pouring gasoline on a fire is dangerous).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/bu...ted%3Dall&_r=0

Old 20-10-2014, 19:02   #53

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I use a jiggle hose for topping off my diesel tank from a five gallon can and I remove the nozzle from my two gallon gas can and pour directly into a funnel to top off my dingy's kicker. It's a real pain in the butt if it's raining. I hope all the progressives are happy.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:14   #54

Jeg's sells the 5 gal utility jugs for $25.99 with free shipping either from their website or from Amazon. The hose, fittings and cap can all be bought at the local home improvement store.

These have 2 handles, makes it a lot easier to hold it while pouring.

socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:50   #55

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

Don't pour, Syphon. There are self priming syphons availble at walmart and they work great. no need to hoist a can just get them started and they run till there is no fuel in the can.Have used these in Canada and the US and they take the hassle out of the refueling process. The cans with the no spiull valves are crap and cause more spills than they prevent. with a syphon you have total contol.

Hope that helps. I feel your pain
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 22:24   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

My gas can has a nozzle like the OP's. If you remove the green plastic bit at the base, it works oh so much better. I used it to fill my honda genny this morning. worked like a charm and did not spill a drop.

Another nozzle, on my diesel ca, I just took the guts apart and use the inside bit without the carb stuff. Also works well. Then I punched a tiny 1/16" hole in the handle and just duct tape it close for transport.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 03:51   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My gas can has a nozzle like the OP's. If you remove the green plastic bit at the base, it works oh so much better. I used it to fill my honda genny this morning. worked like a charm and did not spill a drop.

Another nozzle, on my diesel ca, I just took the guts apart and use the inside bit without the carb stuff. Also works well. Then I punched a tiny 1/16" hole in the handle and just duct tape it close for transport.
Why, you illegal, non-greenie! Good on ya!

Ann
Old 21-10-2014, 04:05   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Odyssey67, and Mike (Pleiades).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 05:23   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
It's only mid October but we had a frost last night and I'd really enjoy having a longer sailing season here in Maine, so I'm trying to do my part to promote global warming.
Oh man... I thin we could be besties !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Why, you illegal, non-greenie! Good on ya!

Ann
You kill me sometimes!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 05:28   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfesmy View Post
Don't pour, Syphon. There are self priming syphons availble at walmart and they work great. no need to hoist a can just get them started and they run till there is no fuel in the can.Have used these in Canada and the US and they take the hassle out of the refueling process. The cans with the no spiull valves are crap and cause more spills than they prevent. with a syphon you have total contol.

Hope that helps. I feel your pain
That's what we do. We have a syphon with a bulb on the top to get it going. Easy and clean. Beats trying to hold a full 5 gal tank upside down while working an idiotic mechanism.

And yes, it is CARB's fault. They put out a poorly written requirement. When a compliant device is all but guaranteed to splash gasoline and the goal was to eliminate gasoline introduced into the environment, there is something wrong with the requirement.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib