Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 11:01   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: getting the outboard on the dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
. . . there is one more solution....and that is to design your system so that the outboard can remain safely on the tender, except when ocean crossing. . .

I've had that, too.

The 25hp wheel-steered motor on my previous dinghy.

Beefy electric davits to keep the dinghy cum motor.

Was not a good solution, in my particular case. Impossible to fully stabilize the load, so the beefy davits cracked and loosened on long sea passages, and created a lot of hassle. And the electric davit mechanisms were horrendously troublesome. And the big dinghy and motor was a lot of weight to hang out over the transom, and a lot of windage.

I was very glad to get rid of this solution.

Might be ok, however, on a catamaran which doesn't heel, so much less challenge for stability of the load.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 11:34   #107
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

That sounds like a heavy combination when you add all the bits up.

How much did your tender and outboard weigh?
What was your boat and what was the displacement.

My Achilles weighs 68kg and the 15hp Yamaha Enduro weighs 36kg..... Not a problem if securely fastened to a 47 ton boat.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 11:46   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Many of these answers are ignoring the original posters situation. It is a 30 foot boat and a 40 pound engine. What is the freeboard of that particular boat and how difficult is it to deal with 40 pounds in that situation.

The engine will not have to be lifted too high on a 30 foot boat. And if someone can't move 40 pounds in three steps - rail mount to lifeline or side deck, lifeline or side deck to dinghy floor and dinghy floor to dinghy engine mount I question their ability to set the mainsail.

Altogether too judgemental. I can still raise my mainsail, but will go nowhere near an outboard into a dinghy without a lift.

What the hell does one have to do with the other? Completely different muscles and direction of forces.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 13:07   #109

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Altogether too judgemental. I can still raise my mainsail, but will go nowhere near an outboard into a dinghy without a lift.

What the hell does one have to do with the other? Completely different muscles and direction of forces.

Virtue signaling needs no logic.

Of course, Mr. Virtue disparages all of us that have some physical disabilities - but still wish to be as active and independent as we can be.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 04:14   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

That sounds like a heavy combination when you add all the bits up.

How much did your tender and outboard weigh?
What was your boat and what was the displacement.

My Achilles weighs 68kg and the 15hp Yamaha Enduro weighs 36kg..... Not a problem if securely fastened to a 47 ton boat.

Yes, my Avon 340 and 25hp Mariner two stroke weighed a lot more than your setup. It was a fantastic tender which was a proper little motorboat, which allowed me to explore far and wide, and was usable in the open sea in reasonable conditions. I used to blast across the Solent for parts from Cowes in reasonable weather. I took whole day cruises in it up rivers. I took short trips between ports, in reasonable weather. It was great.

Sad to lose those capabilities, but the cost in terms of carrying it was too high. My boat is about 25 tons and about 60' LOA. I didn't notice any problems with trim, but you could certainly feel the windage when going upwind.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 25-03-2019, 04:19   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Indeed.

It's not a question of being able to lift it anyway -- it's a question of being able to stabilize it while you're trying to get back into the boat, especially if the boat is rolling or there's any wave action.

I'm with you, Stu -- I have manhandled various outboards of different sizes, at different stages of my life, but I now recognize that for the foolishness it is and will not do it any more. I realize now that I'm lucky not to have dropped one in the drink, or dropped myself in.

It's not a question of being weaker, it's a question of being smarter.

I can lift my present Mercury 3.5 with one hand, but I keep a tackle on it. Single handed I still use the boom, as it eliminates any risk of smashing it around, tripping with it, or whatever.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-03-2019, 18:50   #112

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Many of these answers are ignoring the original posters situation. It is a 30 foot boat and a 40 pound engine. What is the freeboard of that particular boat and how difficult is it to deal with 40 pounds in that situation.

The engine will not have to be lifted too high on a 30 foot boat. And if someone can't move 40 pounds in three steps - rail mount to lifeline or side deck, lifeline or side deck to dinghy floor and dinghy floor to dinghy engine mount I question their ability to set the mainsail.

At the risk of being argumentative. I never said we couldn't. I asked others how they did it and or for ideas before we attempted it for the first time. It turns out both of us CAN lift it but we still can't set the mainsail but that is another post having to do with a poor deck lay out. too small deckhouse winch where the handle can't make a full circle because of a dodger, poorly thought-out lazyjacks, too much friction on the reefing lines in the boom and a slug and track system that doesn't deal adequately with the loads presented by full battens.

A glass of wine with you...

Kurt
Old 26-03-2019, 18:56   #113

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Hi! OP back again after our first stabs working with the motor. We both can indeed heft the motor on our own. For getting the motor into the dink, we're going to use the transom ladder's rungs to bump it down until I can lurch it onto the dinghy transom. Retrieval will PROBABLY be me in the stern improvising a tackle using the main halyard so I don't have to be at the mast or cabintop at a winch.
Old 26-03-2019, 22:54   #114

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

If your dingy is on deck, why not keep the engine on it and launch them together by halyard? Much easier and safer!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard