Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 12:28   #1

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls
Using a rip-start dinghy outboard as a generator for the mothership outboard

I am about to move from a dock with electricity, but 24 miles away, to a mooring visible from my house, 500 yards across the creek. My 10hp Evinrude starts every time because its batteries are constantly topped up by trickle from the mains on the slip. I will be using a solar trickle once I start mooring and given the prevailing wind in our creek and the narrow channel and entrance I will need that engine to prevent me from grounding. My question is, should I arrive at the mooring and find the batteries insufficient to start the Evinrude, can I jump start it from the outboard on the dinghy I will have used to get there? I apologize if this has been answered already - cannot find a thread.
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:46   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Using a rip-start dinghy outboard as a generator for the mothership outboard

So it sounds like the 10 hp Evinrude is an electric start (yes?) Usually an electric start OB has some sort of low amp charger (~6 amps or so). Does it have a pull start also? If it has a pull start also you're golden!

The dinghy OB, is that a low hp pull cord? Older 6 hp Evinrudes sometimes had a charger, but lower than 6 hp probably do not have chargers. Without the charging unit you will not be able to charge your other batteries to start the 10 hp OB.

If there is nothing draining your batteries, a trickle charge should work to maintain your batteries. Is the trickle charge a solar panel? Could invest in a slightly larger panel w/controller to keep the batteries topped off if the trickle charge doesn't keep the batteries up.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 12:52   #3

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Using a rip-start dinghy outboard as a generator for the mothership outboard

You should be able to pull start the 10hp outboard. I used to start an 8hp Johnson on a Pearson 26 that way back in the day. It had a small alternator but not electric start.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

For peace of mind, why not invest under $100 in an emergency jump starter and leave it on-board? Even the small ones that can jump start a car can turnover a small boat engine several times over. They'll hold a charge for months, perhaps even a year, without maintenance.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...uide/index.htm

I carry one on-board just in case something on the charging circuit screws up, or I drain both batteries overnight on the hook. Cheap insurance.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 13:03   #5

Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

Thanks, Bill. The 10hp is an electric start but does have a pull start also, which I have never gotten to work for me, as it is in an awkward place and really heavy. The dinghy outboard is a Sears Gamefisher 5hp. The only thing that I'd leave on is the bilge pump and I'd hate that to not be working. I'll see how it goes.
Old 17-10-2018, 13:04   #6

Thanks everyone
Old 17-10-2018, 14:25   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanwalls View Post
Thanks, Bill. The 10hp is an electric start but does have a pull start also, which I have never gotten to work for me, as it is in an awkward place and really heavy. The dinghy outboard is a Sears Gamefisher 5hp. The only thing that I'd leave on is the bilge pump and I'd hate that to not be working. I'll see how it goes.

The Gamefisher doesn't have a charger so it can't help you in charge your main batteries. It was a good suggestion to carry a lithium jump start battery pack. Not super expensive and compact. We carry one but have never needed it due to dead/low batteries.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 21:35   #8

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I bought a portable battery as back up for my boat. I've used it to jump start three boats, but never my own. Friends at the marina knew I had this battery and when they needed a jump start, they used my battery. I always bring my battery along with me, even though I have a dedicated engine battery as well as house batteries. I really like redundancy.

I bought a stronger one that the link I have given you, but you should find something like this local to your area:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 03:08   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The lithium ones fit in your coat pocket do the same, they make ones designed for big diesel cranking.

Just need topping up overnight every few months.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 15:36   #10

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Cheap solution, get a second starting battery. At Walmart you can get a lawn tractor battery for around $20, and a selector switch. I have started V-8 engines with lawn tractor batteries. They are small and light weight. Leave you existing battery for the pump.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 20:58   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

By chance I discovers that my motorcycle battery easily worked for my 10 hp Suzuki. A lithium battery for bikes only weighs < 5 lbs... I think. You don’t need the big arse battery for small outboards.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 19:09   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Unless you want to keep them going a long time
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 15:56   #13

Brenden, if you could contact me thru email. That would be wonderful. My email is justcleananything@yahoo.com
Cruisingalice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, generator, outboard