Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 16:12   #46

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: Emergency rudder/Windvane vs ladder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Can’t remember if the monitor can be used as an emergency rudder, but I don’t think the Aries can.

Hydrovane does function as an emergency rudder.
The monitor can be used as an emergency rudder with the “MRUD” attachment, we have said device, but have not used it as such.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:15   #47
cruiser

If it works 1 time when needed it's worth the price. Review best fire escape ladders here
Buying one for demo purposes is a great idea. The most important thing is that everyone in the house knows EXACTLY what is expected and how to use it.
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:30   #48

Don’t compromise when fitting a boarding ladder

Industrial strength , deep, extra hand holds , able to be deployed by the man in the water
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:36   #49

As far as emergency rudder .. no self steering can function as a true rudder

Not enough surface area

The yachts rudder is part of the underwater profiles lateral resistance

Without this lateral resistance a fin keel boat will spin on its keel

The tiny blade on a self steering unit will never offer enough lateral resistance

The best you can hope for is minimum steerage ... minimum speed , no upwind ability ...get home slowly
Old 08-07-2020, 06:56   #50

Boat: Nonsuch 30

All you want from an emergency rudder is that it gets you home, slowly is good. If you think about it, a rudder failure at sea that you cannot fix is a rare event. you are not looking for a replacement as good as the original, just something that works.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:00   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
As far as emergency rudder .. no self steering can function as a true rudder

Not enough surface area

The yachts rudder is part of the underwater profiles lateral resistance

Without this lateral resistance a fin keel boat will spin on its keel

The tiny blade on a self steering unit will never offer enough lateral resistance

The best you can hope for is minimum steerage ... minimum speed , no upwind ability ...get home slowly
The hydrovane actually does make a decent emergency rudder, it's not small plus its balanced. You certainly would not want to be carrying full sail but it would get you home.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:12   #52

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The hydrovane actually does make a decent emergency rudder, it's not small plus its balanced. You certainly would not want to be carrying full sail but it would get you home.
AGREED! One of the reasons I installed a hydrovane was that very reason- big emergency rudder built in.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:17   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Depends on the boat

A hydrovane type rudder could be workable on a long keel modest displacement hull that lost its rudder

A naval architect typically draws an emergency rudder at 50 percent the profile of the permanent rudder

The quoted Side loading for the last rudder I had designed was 2000 kg

This means a Substantial lower bearing

Emergency cassette rudders aren’t balanced so they are mounted tip forward to compensate

A hydrovane self steer might benefit from tip forward mounting
Old 08-07-2020, 09:39   #54

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Experience is often better than theory.

After mounting my Hydrovane I went out and practiced. (You don't want to learn how to use your emergency gear the moment you need it.) My rudder is a hydraulic driven full skeg-hung rudder, so it is unlikely it will ever fall away. I centered the rudder and used the Hydrovane rudder to steer the boat under sail and power. It would work well enough to get the boat into an anchorage. I would not attempt to enter a marina or dock with an emergency rudder. (I guess that's why they are "emergency rudders" and not "auxiliary" rudders.

The Hydrovane as an emergency rudder was way easier and more effective than trying to steer the boat with my Shark drogue.

With a fin type rudder that drops, or is bent and cannot be centered the challenges for using the Hydrovane as an emergency steering rig would be considerable.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:45   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Experience is often better than theory.

After mounting my Hydrovane I went out and practiced. (You don't want to learn how to use your emergency gear the moment you need it.) My rudder is a hydraulic driven full skeg-hung rudder, so it is unlikely it will ever fall away. I centered the rudder and used the Hydrovane rudder to steer the boat under sail and power. It would work well enough to get the boat into an anchorage. I would not attempt to enter a marina or dock with an emergency rudder. (I guess that's why they are "emergency rudders" and not "auxiliary" rudders.

The Hydrovane as an emergency rudder was way easier and more effective than trying to steer the boat with my Shark drogue.

With a fin type rudder that drops, or is bent and cannot be centered the challenges for using the Hydrovane as an emergency steering rig would be considerable.

You still had your ships rudder

Remove this rudder and try again
Old 08-07-2020, 09:51   #56

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
You still had your ships rudder

Remove this rudder and try again
I am not contesting anything you wrote.

As I stated, I have a full-skeg hung rudder. To remove the rudder I would need to remove the skeg. If I loose the skeg...I have much bigger things to worry about because the stern is likely ripped away as well.

That is why I also stated fin type rudders would present quite different results.

Context and comprehension is important.

Tags
emergency, enc, grass, rudder, wind, windvane