Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2018, 06:28   #46

Re: Dinghy Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
It takes more work to get it there but an inflatable can last a long time. I have an Achilles LT-2 from 1979 or 1980 that still works fine. The oldest inflatable boat still in use I have seen was a Zodiac made in the late 60's. Now of course these are exceptions but they can happen. Plus seasonal use here in New England helps.
During one hurricane here, we left our Whaler tied between two pilings, no motor, plugs out. We got an eleven foot storm surge. When we came back, it was floating high and dry, just like we left it.

You could machine gun the thing, and keep using it until you could patch it. It’s heavy, around 280 pounds. That’s the sole negative we have found.

We started out with an inflatable. It just didn’t fit our cruising lifestyle. We like to explore and I love being able to tie up to half demolished docks, or to beach it on an ironshore beach, and not worry. It’s also super easy to climb aboard when snorkeling, another plus for us. And, we built a removable rack in it, that held a tandem bicycle on our last cruise. It fits us.

Like I said, not for everybody, but just an alternative to consider.
Old 31-05-2018, 08:12   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The downsides to something like a small whaler besides weight is stability and they may not be so kind to the mother ship etc.
Small Whalers are often hard to find and expensive, as they are sought after by the powerboat crowd, the ones with winches that store the Boat on deck.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:12   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The downsides to something like a small whaler besides weight is stability and they may not be so kind to the mother ship etc.
Small Whalers are often hard to find and expensive, as they are sought after by the powerboat crowd, the ones with winches that store the Boat on deck.
Not for everyone for sure, but stability has never been an issue. I weigh 260 and can stand on one gunnel, and not even come close to flipping. I drug it sideways through an inlet, down a breaking wave, at 8 knots when the secondary tow line hung up in the motor once. Thought it would flip for sure. Nope, even though the force bent the bow tow eye 90 degrees. Still have never capsized it.

The only issue we’ve really ever had is the weight. You have to use mechanical advantage to put it on the foredeck. We just use a block and tackle.

But, again, just letting people know, there are good alternatives to inflatables.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52   #49

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
During one hurricane here, we left our Whaler tied between two pilings, no motor, plugs out. We got an eleven foot storm surge. When we came back, it was floating high and dry, just like we left it.

You could machine gun the thing, and keep using it until you could patch it. It’s heavy, around 280 pounds. That’s the sole negative we have found.

We started out with an inflatable. It just didn’t fit our cruising lifestyle. We like to explore and I love being able to tie up to half demolished docks, or to beach it on an ironshore beach, and not worry. It’s also super easy to climb aboard when snorkeling, another plus for us. And, we built a removable rack in it, that held a tandem bicycle on our last cruise. It fits us.

Like I said, not for everybody, but just an alternative to consider.
Is that 280 lbs without the motor? Yikes!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 13:24   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

They are a very well made Boat though, and the interior volume is much greater, cause its hull isn’t over a foot thick
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Yep. For the same reason ceramic plates are heavy(if you have ever worn a level IV ballistic vest).
Old 08-06-2018, 08:08   #52

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I have a lightly used 10 year old Lodestar 2.9 inflatable. There is no problem with the tubes or the attachments. The problem is the inflatable floor. It has become porous and I want to buy a new one but cannot. Roche marine in the UK are supposed to be the agents but the tell me 6 month wait and around 5-600 euro. Anybody any help
Dukey.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:25   #53

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
I have a lightly used 10 year old Lodestar 2.9 inflatable. There is no problem with the tubes or the attachments. The problem is the inflatable floor. It has become porous and I want to buy a new one but cannot. Roche marine in the UK are supposed to be the agents but the tell me 6 month wait and around 5-600 euro. Anybody any help
Dukey.

You might consider changing to a hard floor. A friend of mine replaced his plywood floor with starboard. All you would need are the H channels that connect the boards. Sea Eagle sells inflatable floors but you'd need to make sure it would fit.
https://www.seaeagle.com/Accessories/floorboards
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:43   #54

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

You think dinks are bad? Just try coffee makers or deep fat fryers! Any idea how many solar panels it takes to get a cup of coffee while your deep frying your turkey?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:34   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Skip that rubberboat scrap and buy a solid tender
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:50   #56

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I am the only one who think spending 1000 for a pvc or hypalon dinghy when I can spend 500 to get a custom sized fiberglass with foam core made to fit my boat to be not worth it ?
I fixed my own in Las palmas spending only 100 euro for materials and I did the job in 2 days .
Have been abusing it since then and still going strong and is almost the same weight 30 kilos as.my old inflatable .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:57   #57

Boat: Catalina 309 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just say NO to West Marine or Zodiac dingys.
Because WM ( Zodiac) had a 5 year warranty I am on my 4 th 310 Rib. All have
“ gone sticky “ within a season of use. After replacing the 4 th one West Marine informed me that the warranty would no longer cover the issues I had experienced prior. DO NOT BUY A WEST MARINE PVC RIB it will self destruct no matter how much 310 you apply or how often.
Phennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:07   #58

Boat: S2 11.0C

When making the repairs, I found the 2 part PVC glue, found at most marine stores to be the best. My towing D rings tore off. I used the 2 part glue and it held up for years. Follow the directions on the package and you should be fine.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:03   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Avon D560 18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phennessey View Post
“ gone sticky “ within a season of use. After replacing the 4 th one West Marine informed me that the warranty would no longer cover the issues I had experienced prior. DO NOT BUY A WEST MARINE PVC RIB it will self destruct no matter how much 310 you apply or how often.
Zodiac has not manufactured products for West Marine since 2013, West Marine changed to a Chinese supplier.

Sticky boats are common in Massachusetts in my experience due to poor air quality and a lack of cleaning. You're downstream from a lot of coal and trash incinerator pollution. If you don't wash the boat weekly, it starts attacking the material. Then, customers tend not to wash their boats due to the lack of availability of fresh water at the docks. A wipedown with soap / spray cleaner only is not sufficient.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:58   #60

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phennessey View Post

I concur. I inherited a West Marine PVC inflatable that had the floor fall out, 5 weeks past warranty deadline. WM offered no help, other than to refer me to a repair station. They wanted over $400 to reglue and would offer zero guarantee for their work.
I bought an Achilles. That was 11 years ago, and the hypalon Achilles still is perfect. Just one more reason to dislike WM.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy